Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Empire's Turf.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Turf to blame for opposition's failure

I saw a lot of chatter over at Big Soccer etc where people are claiming the SKC guys "cramping" was due to the turf and the "poor" surface at Empire...

Correct me if I'm wrong, I always find that Turf is hard on joints and the back/hips, as it has no give, but surely cramps are a muscle issue, and i find that the give in a natural surface is actually easier on joints but harder on muscles, in that you have that extra give with the dirt moving with each stride, which theoretically means more motion for the muscles. (I'm no human kinetics degree holder!)

Clearly the falling all over the place for SKC was a lack of hydration/fitness thing or time wasting, and not due to Turf per se.

Am I wrong about the turf/grass? (keep in mind I'm an FVSL D2 mucker that isn't exactly "fit")

Dancin Bear

Oct 26, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
I would agree that there is too much rubber on the turf. It almost makes the run of the ball unnatural at times. I also believe that fitness is involved but the fact of the matter is, when you put too much rubber on a turf pitch, you feel like you're running through it, not on it.
This would absolutely tire a team that isn't used to it. The Whitecaps are conditioned for it......even if their fitness is superior, it gives another edge.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm not arguing the merits of turf or grass, I'm just asking if cramps come from Turf, and my experience has been no... just aches and pain in the ankles, knees, hips, and back... and the wet mattress.

So basically these opponents are just whining! :p

reedie

Sep 20, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
The problem here is not the surface.

The issue is that SKC was told from the outset this game was being played on grass at Swanguard. However, at the last moment, the MLS commissioner and Whitecaps brass got together and schemed up a plan to play the game at Empire on turf, knowing full well the surface and the larger home crowd would surely play to their advantage.

It was a clever move for which Surrey United should be complimented.

:cool:

fat monkey

Oct 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I would agree that there is too much rubber on the turf. It almost makes the run of the ball unnatural at times. I also believe that fitness is involved but the fact of the matter is, when you put too much rubber on a turf pitch, you feel like you're running through it, not on it.
This would absolutely tire a team that isn't used to it. The Whitecaps are conditioned for it......even if their fitness is superior, it gives another edge.
You want to talk about the turf being an advantage? What about the sandbox they played on in Philadelphia? That pitch was diabolical. If anyone is going to be hurt because of a pitch, that would be the one.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes- they are whining about a shitty playing surface.

It may be new field-turf, but it's not Swanguard. I'm not a doctor, or even a fake / pretend doctor like JTL or Stepchild, but last I remember, the knee bone is connected to the thigh bone, the thigh bone is connected to the...hip bone.

Point being, in between there are tissues and ligaments. If the ligaments are being stretched differently due to the surface, this will translate to increased muscle fatigue if you aren't accustomed to it.

We're just used to it as we're force fed the stuff, but tell you what...on the three games I played this year on grass, I felt way better overall.

Bronco

Oct 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

The issue is that SKC was told from the outset this game was being played on grass at Swanguard. However, at the last moment, the MLS commissioner and Whitecaps brass got together and schemed up a plan to play the game at Empire on turf, knowing full well the surface and the larger home crowd would surely play to their advantage.

Subtle Reedie.....subtle. :D

:bronco:

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
GHouse, is that you?

:)

cascadesoccer

Oct 7, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money

beat me to it!! well played sir. Kansas is just upset they tied. I think the Caps are much better than anyone has expected and will continue to give teams headaches. Both teams play on the same field, end of story, quit making excuses. Empire is unreal, sad to see teh caps move at the end of the year to Telus stadium of sports Optik arena park.

bergamascho

Nov 16, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
I personally believe as BC Canadians, that some people out there in our nation don't have turf fields and um, I believe that our, uh, recration like such as in South Africa and, uh, the Iraq, everywhere like such as, and, I believe that they should, our recreation over HERE in the BC should help the BC, uh, or, uh, should help South Africa and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries, so we will be able to build up our future, for our children.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
That turf looks no better than Charles Best turf.......shocking. I figured it was the turf which lead to SOOOOOOOO many rubbish passes, corners, free-kicks, and touches. I was assured today by a few people it wasn't just the turf.

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
That turf looks no better than Charles Best turf.......shocking. I figured it was the turf which lead to SOOOOOOOO many rubbish passes, corners, free-kicks, and touches. I was assured today by a few people it wasn't just the turf.

Captain, quit your whining already. From moment one it has been the quality is shite this and the quality is shite that. The 3 home games have been great entertainment value. I don't think we are built quite like Barcelona, just enjoy the show or watch your grade 9 girls knock it around with quality.

~Teitur Thordarson~

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Captain, quit your whining already. From moment one it has been the quality is shite this and the quality is shite that. The 3 home games have been great entertainment value. I don't think we are built quite like Barcelona, just enjoy the show or watch your grade 9 girls knock it around with quality.

~Teitur Thordarson~

Cheers, Bulljive. :) They actually do at times. :D I didn't say ANYTHING about it not being entertaining. The quality isn't good which is why the mistakes make it entertaining and of course in this case, the referee had a ****ing nightmare which was probably what ironically gave the game much needed at excitement as NE came in to play for a 0-0 draw. Surely your trained eye could see that? Or am I giving you too much credit?

Are we talking about pradis?

heanjob

Sep 22, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
beat me to it!! well played sir. Kansas is just upset they tied. I think the Caps are much better than anyone has expected and will continue to give teams headaches. Both teams play on the same field, end of story, quit making excuses. Empire is unreal, sad to see teh caps move at the end of the year to Telus stadium of sports Optik arena park.

Anyone notice the fire hose spraying of water at halftime on WEdnesday?

Problem is that this field has been played on less than 20 times. Pellets everywhere. Or maybe they dump a truck load on before every game?

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0