Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

FIFA 2010 World Cup

number10hamburgler

Mar 16, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
Go England !!!
====================
The History of the Middle Finger

Well, now......here's something I never knew before, and now that I know it, I feel compelled to send it on to my more intelligent friends in the hope that they, too, will feel edified. Isn't history more fun when you know something about it?

Before the Battle of Agincourt in 1415, the French, anticipating victory over the English, proposed to cut off the middle finger of all captured English soldiers. Without the middle finger it would be impossible to draw the renowned English longbow and therefore they would be incapable of fighting in the future. This famous English longbow was made of the native English Yew tree, and the act of drawing the longbow was known as "plucking the yew" (or "pluck yew").

Much to the bewilderment of the French, the English won a major upset and began mocking the French by waving their middle fingers at the defeated French, saying, See, we can still pluck yew!

Since 'pluck yew' is rather difficult to say, the difficult consonant cluster at the beginning has gradually changed to a labiodentals fricative F', and thus the words often used in conjunction with the one-finger-salute!

It is also because of the pheasant feathers on the arrows used with the longbow that the symbolic gesture is known as "giving the bird."

IT IS STILL AN APPROPRIATE SALUTE TO THE FRENCH TODAY!

And yew thought yew knew every plucking thing!

Now that was plucking interesting.

On a sidenote, for conspiracy theorists, i think i found why Ronaldinho isn't going to the World Cup. Here's a clip of Ronaldinho showing up Dunga 10 years ago. Supposedly in Brazil doing those moves to an opponent is like flipping the bird. Some say Dunga hasn't forgotten and still holds a grudge. Awesome move in the corner though, would love to see that in a game here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sir M you have changed avatars 3 times in 3 days...identity crisis?

No. Mid-life crisis. :p

PS That is interesting Number 10. On a similar note, I have friends back in Holland who advised me that the demise of Van Nistelrooy with the National team was when Van Basten was coaching and admonished him, and RVN told him to look at the stats as to who had scored more goals. Probably not a good thing to say to a three time European Footballer of the Year I guess.

RVN does have him by a 271 to 242 score though...

Sir M

number10hamburgler

Mar 16, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
No. Mid-life crisis. :p

PS That is interesting Number 10. On a similar note, I have friends back in Holland who advised me that the demise of Van Nistelrooy with the National team was when Van Basten was coaching and admonished him, and RVN told him to look at the stats as to who had scored more goals. Probably not a good thing to say to a three time European Footballer of the Year I guess.

RVN does have him by a 271 to 242 score though...

Sir M

Yeah RVN did the same with Sir Alex and he got the boot at Man U as well. Definitely not the smartest things to do, especially when both teams had young talent coming up, Ronaldo and Rooney at Man U and Robben, Van Persie, Kuyt and so on at Holland. Would have been better to shut it and just keep a positive attitude/team mentality or change up playing style to fit in the new direction/work in the system. He was still a good player back then too when he went to Madrid. But bad attitude killed his chances.

Ronaldinho's case might be a bit different in that he has had a fairly decent season at AC Milan, and is up there in Assists and Goals, and has had a good attitude and has seemed more motivated lately. Some might argue that he still has it and can contribute well. Anyways, will have to wait and see where if at all he could have fitted in once the WC starts. I still haven't seen a lot of selected players play on Brazil.

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I personally dont think that the Holland players you mentioned are in the same league as Ruud, or MVB...or of course Cruyff, or even Gullitt or Bergkamp. But Van Persie may develop into that level if he doesn't get hurt any more.

But RVN's reaction is totally Dutch. Probably why they always have a war with eachother halfway through the WC or Euros and melt down.

Best coaches in the world though all in all out of this country.

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I would vote for yes, but I don't think there are any takers...Australia, Russia etc seem a better bet. Or North Korea.

By the way Luch, did you see how many bars/posts Chelsea hit today in the first half? :eek:

Sir M

Luch

Jul 6, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I would vote for yes, but I don't think there are any takers...Australia, Russia etc seem a better bet. Or North Korea.

By the way Luch, did you see how many bars/posts Chelsea hit today in the first half? :eek:

Sir M

Yes... almost thought they'd thrown it away.. great free kick to win the double. Great stuff for Ancelotti's first season. He's class.

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes... almost thought they'd thrown it away.. great free kick to win the double. Great stuff for Ancelotti's first season. He's class.

Yes winning with a squad like that takes someone special :rolleyes:. Man Utd wasn't expected to win it after Ronaldo's and Tevez departure. Although I think they handled the Tevez situation terribly. The guy was beating his drum saying he wanted to stay and they didn't offer him a deal until the last minute but the damage had been done. I couldn't believe it personally as I felt it was a huge mistake to rely on Berbatov, as he is a lazy shite who doesn't fit into the system. Tevez is a great player and a tireless workhorse who plays for the team, he stays Man Utd wins 1-2 more titles this year. Not to mention my authentic Man Utd Tevez jersey I bought from England is now useless to me..little agrentinian kunt

Law5

May 8, 2010
Tokens
Dirty Money
funny story about the north koreans at the world cup:

Since leaving the country isn't exactly the easiest thing for North Koreans to do and traveling all the way to South Africa just to watch their team serve as the sacrificial lamb to the Group of Death may not be the best reason to do it, they've decided to recruit their Chinese friends to make the trip for them.

Says the AP:
The Beijing office of the North Korean Sports Committee is giving outtickets to the tournament, China’s state-run Xinhua News Agency reported.
The Chinese fans will attend North Korea’s games against Brazil and Portugal, Xinhua said.

North Korea is looking to distribute 1,000 tickets to these Chinese rent-a-fans. It almost seems appropriate given the ties between China and North Korea -- even the team's sponsor is a Chinese sports apparel maker -- and the secretive, largely unknown quantity of the North Korean team.
In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if other countries tried this as well. Several thousand Chinese-Dutch fans may be the difference for the Netherlands.

Luch

Jul 6, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes winning with a squad like that takes someone special :rolleyes:. Man Utd wasn't expected to win it after Ronaldo's and Tevez departure. Although I think they handled the Tevez situation terribly. The guy was beating his drum saying he wanted to stay and they didn't offer him a deal until the last minute but the damage had been done. I couldn't believe it personally as I felt it was a huge mistake to rely on Berbatov, as he is a lazy shite who doesn't fit into the system. Tevez is a great player and a tireless workhorse who plays for the team, he stays Man Utd wins 1-2 more titles this year. Not to mention my authentic Man Utd Tevez jersey I bought from England is now useless to me..little agrentinian kunt

Right... 3 years without a title and the double in CA's first year. Not bad. Maybe it's time your ManUre picked up an Italian manager as well.

number10hamburgler

Mar 16, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
This stuff about Ballack... it makes you wonder...
Michael Ballack agent threatens Kevin-Prince Boateng legal action - ESPN Soccernet

Obvioulsy a huge blow to Zee Germans, if they had any shot of winning the WC it's gone now...

A nice little conspiracy theory here to fuel the match in that group... ;)

Big loss to the Germans for sure. Tackle did seem premeditated though. As Ballack slapped him before.

On top of that and legal action, Boateng father now reveals that there was a long standing fued between Ballack and Boateng for talking down to him during a match.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/788227/ce/uk/?cc=5901&ver=us

Ballack basically said "don't get a swelled head, it's only your first goal" And Boateng got really mad. That's just sorry. I mean I hear more trash talk in our Summer league worse than that.

Wouldn't be surprised if in the last moments of the Ghana v. Germany WC game, Germans send on a bruiser to "have a talk" with Boateng. I wouldn't be surprised if someone ends up ending Boateng World Cup with a harsh tackle.

Last edited by a moderator:

bergamascho

Nov 16, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
"If you want my jersey so bad I'll give it to you after the game", said Zidane.

"No thanks, I'd prefer your sister", retorted Materazzi.

:D

mikey_c_9

Mar 24, 2010
Tokens
Dirty Money
That's no slap! - he has his eyes on the ball and is flapping to try and gain a bit of an edge as the ball drops, handbags!!

It's all been blown out of proportion by the media again, It didn't even look like too bad of a challenge on Ballack either! BUT, it was from behind so deserves the yellow.

I don't think there was any intent to injure Ballack - you can tell by Boeteng's reaction that he was sorry.

And as far as him getting an injury in retaliation, someone will have to catch him first!!

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts