Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

FIFA 2018 Group Stage Banter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Nothing I hate more than a diver and faker that whines about other people doing the same.

Liked the reverted call on him this morning. Maybe this might slow down the acting when they know it could be reviewed. Would be nicer to see a card if they are caught embellishing though.

4STGMP

Feb 10, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Nothing I hate more than a diver and faker that whines about other people doing the same.

Liked the reverted call on him this morning. Maybe this might slow down the acting when they know it could be reviewed. Would be nicer to see a card if they are caught embellishing though.

Including Pepe

freddy

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 26, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
A Re-rant I have - you score a goal and take off your shirt, getting a yellow. You have just given up one of your personal weapons. I think Shakiri is the unclaimed offspring of Trump - thinks he is the greatest, but comes up . . . short.

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
A Re-rant I have - you score a goal and take off your shirt, getting a yellow. You have just given up one of your personal weapons. I think Shakiri is the unclaimed offspring of Trump - thinks he is the greatest, but comes up . . . short.

If they really wanted stop this then give out straight red cards.
I find no problem in ripping off your shirt. who gives a fcuk. lol

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Portugal vs. Iran...the officiating here is why Americans hate this sport. This was infuriating.

First, on the Ronaldo yellow...how is it that the Iranian player was not at least awarded a yellow for embellishment?

Then, on the PK call, the Iranian player could have easily been called for a foul, given he was climbing all over the defender's back to win the header. On any planet, how is it possible to award a handball to a player when said player can not even see the ball coming? There is no clearer definition of "ball-to-hand"?

Seriously, VAR is supposed to help improve officiating, no? This official had the benefit of the technology twice, and twice bottled it, IMO.

The rest, I missed cause I'm also trying to work with the game on in the background.

@Walks - your take?

cascadesoccer

Oct 7, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I may not be walks but my opinion is always valid. I like the VAR. I think the call on the Iran PK was fair in the fact that it wasn’t an intentional handball but the arm stopped the ball from heading towards goal. The foul on Ronaldo was also the right call. Iran could have scored at the end there and what a great group of games for group B. Wild finishes.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Your opinion is barely valid. Barely. But I'll bite....

1. On the yellow: not saying it wasn't, but the ref has the benefit of the VAR to see the embellishment, and that was also clear and obvious...so why not give the card? To me, this is the single biggest disappointment I have since this rule came into play, the reluctance of officials to call embellishment. We now have the technology, so WTF?

2. What is the language on hand-balls? The ball literally comes at him from outside his vision. he missed it! Ball comes directly down, barely scrapes his hand, and you are telling me that is NOT ball-to-hand? Also, it overlooks the fact the attacker was fcuking CLIMBING the defender's back. Spiderman.

STD

May 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I have not seen the game or any highlights yet but was listening to parts of the game on the radio while driving. Regarding the Ronaldo yellow the commentators were going off about how it should have been an automatic red card and the ref didn't have the guts to make the right call because it was Ronaldo.

The Franchise

Lifetime Better Bastard
TTP Bookie Staff
Sep 7, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I have not seen the game or any highlights yet but was listening to parts of the game on the radio while driving. Regarding the Ronaldo yellow the commentators were going off about how it should have been an automatic red card and the ref didn't have the guts to make the right call because it was Ronaldo.

No chance that's a red...

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Your opinion is barely valid. Barely. But I'll bite....

1. On the yellow: not saying it wasn't, but the ref has the benefit of the VAR to see the embellishment, and that was also clear and obvious...so why not give the card? To me, this is the single biggest disappointment I have since this rule came into play, the reluctance of officials to call embellishment. We now have the technology, so WTF?

2. What is the language on hand-balls? The ball literally comes at him from outside his vision. he missed it! Ball comes directly down, barely scrapes his hand, and you are telling me that is NOT ball-to-hand? Also, it overlooks the fact the attacker was fcuking CLIMBING the defender's back. Spiderman.

Quickly on "embellishment" there is no rule about giving a yellow card for "embellishment". The rule is for "simulation" and it specifically states that there must be NO CONTACT. If there is any contact whatsoever, regardless of if you believe the amount of contact warrants the reaction from the player, you cannot caution them for "simulation". Is there an argument that you could use Unsporting Behaviour as a catch all to book them for embellishment? Maybe. Certainly there is no specific language in the rules for it or any precedent really.

As for VAR today, it was interesting. On one hand you see why we need it for Spain's equalizer, we need goals like that to count. On the other hand that Portugal handball was contentious. The rules state "deliberate hand ball" and the criteria to evaluate whether it's deliberate are is the hand in a natural position, did the defender put take an unnecessary risk with his arms (ie sliding wildly with arms flailing) and distance from the ball when it is struck. In this instance, it's not a penalty for me. His arms are in a natural position for jumping IMO and the distance the ball travels gives him no time to react.

I think referee caved to the Iran protests that had been going on all game. Same with the Ronoldo yellow. I think he chickened out on that one given that he would be sending off Portugal's best player AND suspending him for the knockout stage on a soft, but still valid IMO, red card.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Thanks for the clarification on simulation. Makes sense. I'd like the refs to use unsportsmanlike more often, because the replay clearly show equal amounts of jostling for position, and definite embellishment on the part of the Iranian player hoping to draw a red card. If I could see it, anyone could see it, and it disappoints me the ref chickened out on that. Maybe he caved, dunno, but that's at worse a yellow. But hey, we've seen some weird ones, and I will accept that the lone yellow was maybe the best overall result of that action.

On the hand ball, I definitely am on the side of no penalty, and in fact a free kick for Portugal. The attacker was all over his back. That one seemed easy for me, shocked it was called a PK. Embarrassing use of the technology, got it so wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0