Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

FIFA 2018 R16 Banter

robino

Sep 24, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
We have seen upsets in this WC. How well do you think Canada would have done? Do you guys think they could have picked up at least a point or would have struggled much like Panama.

forest1979

Apr 26, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
Having got 2 of the 6!! right so far....I really don,t know, but to be honest think they are miles away from ever qualifying again...and if they were there this year just whipping boys, sorry if my opinion upsets anyone....

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
We have seen upsets in this WC. How well do you think Canada would have done? Do you guys think they could have picked up at least a point or would have struggled much like Panama.
I think you need only look as far as the other teams from CONCACAF to measure Canada. Mexico is by far and away the best team in our region and they consistently cannot get past the Round of 16. Costa Rica, who exploded onto the scene four years ago and have used that success as a springboard to make their program easily one of the top 3 in CONCACAF, were found out and well off the pace, going out at the group stage without a win. Honduras, who made the HEX at our expense once more, failed to qualify when they lost their playoff to an Australian team whose eventual performance at this World Cup could best be described as underwhelming and saw them exit the tournament without a win or a goal from open play. Finally there is Panama making their World Cup debut, albeit in a group with two European giants. Canada has not beaten, nor scored a goal against, Panama since a 1-0 in 2012 in WC qualifying for Brazil 2014. I remember that game, the goal came off a trick play at BMO Field when we tried the classic "freeze out" tactic playing in the cold and came away with the points in a game that we were hardly head and shoulders better in and then Panama still beat us to the HEX that year. If Canada were to beat Panama competitively in the Gold Cup or this new CONCACAF Nations League or WC qualifying I am fairly certain it would be hailed as a massive victory, the same way that BMO Field match was. Panama finished dead last at the World Cup and conceded an astonishing 11 goals over three games.

We can't keep up with those teams. If we were in this World Cup I think the description of "whipping boys," per @forest1979 fits rather nicely...

That being said, with a favourable draw and some luck, anything is possible. Look at what Japan accomplished and they were in Pot 4 and tipped by most to be a quick three and out. Gutted for them, but excited for Belgium at the same time. Great game to be a neutral for!

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Right now? Maybe struggle for a draw against one of the other lesser squads, like Panama. Canada has a long ways to come, but I expect over the next 8 years, with CPL coming into the fold and some of the good young talent we have now we'll be more like a squad like Australia. Maybe Russia (their win the other day vs. Spain was a miracle, much like Miracle on Ice).

forest1979

Apr 26, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
Unless the CPL has a law stipulating a number of players in each match day squad …..say 8 of 16...must be CANADIAN..it will make no difference whatsoever, because you will finish up with a league of almost players from other countries. ...and back to the WC. thought England just about deserved to win, but much like Spain, all that possession and actually created nothing. Today was definitely the worst of the four days of 16....thought I was at the dentist watching Swiss and Swedes, it was that painful.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Unless the CPL has a law stipulating a number of players in each match day squad …..say 8 of 16...must be CANADIAN..it will make no difference whatsoever, because you will finish up with a league of almost players from other countries. ...and back to the WC. thought England just about deserved to win, but much like Spain, all that possession and actually created nothing. Today was definitely the worst of the four days of 16....thought I was at the dentist watching Swiss and Swedes, it was that painful.

Bingo, but my understanding that this will be the focus. 7 Canadian starters mandated last I heard.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts