Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Final: Germany v. Brazil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
SEOUL (Reuters) - Germany coach Rudi Voeller thought his defence might be their Achilles heel before the tournament kicked off - they have ended up matching a World Cup record for meanness.

Voeller had lost his two most valued defenders, Jens Nowotny and Christian Woerns, through injuries in the build-up to the finals, and was clearly worried his side might leak goals.

But they have conceded only one en route to the big match, a feat achieved previously only by the Netherlands before they lost 2-1 to West Germany in the 1974 final.
Is this correct? Didn't France only concede a single goal in their '98 title? Someone confirm this for me please.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Is this correct? Didn't France only concede a single goal in their '98 title?
In a nutshell, no.

Group Stage
France 3-0 South Africa
France 4-0 Saudi Arabia
France 2-1 Denmark

Second Round
France 1-0 Paraguay

Quarters
France 0-0 Italy (4-3 penos)

Semis
France 2-1 Croats

Final
France 3-0 Brazil

~Regs.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Thanks, Regs. I could have sworn they only gave up one. Good thing I didn't bet on it as a Croat or Italian would have.

Thinkin' zee Germans will let in another before all is said and done. :(

dazza

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Keeper, Mehmet, et al,

Sorry lads, but it's Brazil all the way!

The Germans haven't played anyone of note yet and suddenly they find themselves in the final.

Ronaldhino will be raring to go, along with the other two R's.

Looking forward to the big game on Sunday.

Darrenaldo:D

p.s. Skill and flair will win in the end!

CDK

Jul 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
How the fcuk did these two teams make it to the finals?? They were both shite teams, less than a year ago, and talk of them missing the World Cup was all over the internet soccer sites.:confused:

I'm not sure which I would want as World Champions. Oh well, I suppose I'll try and enjoy the game...

Spazz

Oct 10, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I've gotta agree with Dazza...

Brazil all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(not that I'd bet money on it....) :rolleyes:

Watching the game with a crazy German tomight so it should be interesting............

:p Spazz

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
WTF?

What's going on?! It's Tuesday's lunch and there's been more discussion regarding Div 1 realignment than the World Cup Final.

Surely there must be some Brits who'd like to piss on the Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer, Ollie Kahn.

Deaf from silence,
Keeper.

Jimmy Holiday

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ollie Khan

Correct me if I'm wrong but I just heard he won MVP of the tourney....

What are peoples thoughts on this????

He did have a great tourney but Ronaldo would of been my choice!

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I heard that too: Kahn won the Golden Ball Award (MVP). Apparently voting was completed during the consolation game between Turkey and Koreo, and Ronaldo placed 2nd.

That said, think of it this way: a keeper fcuks up and it causes a goal; a striker fcuks up and it is either saved by the keeper or it goes wided or he's stripped of the ball by a defender. Kahn made one mistake during the whole tournament. How many did Ronaldo make?

kurgan

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 8, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Golden, Silver and Bronze Balls

1: Oliver Kahn (Germany) 147 votes - 25 per cent
2: Ronaldo (Brazil) 126 votes - 21 per cent
3: Hong Myung Bo (Korea) 108 votes - 18 per cent
4: Rivaldo (Brazil) 93 votes - 16 per cent
5: Ronaldinho (Brazil) 54 votes - 9 per cent
6: Hasan Sas (Turkey) 26 votes - 4 per cent
7: El Hadji Diouf (Senegal) 15 votes - 3 per cent
8: Roberto Carlos (Brazil) 12 votes - 2 per cent
9: Michael Ballack (Germany) 6 votes - 1 per cent
10: Fernando Hierro (Spain) 5 votes - 1 per cent

Looks like some vote splitting amongst the Brazilians.

Gaffa

Jul 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
You 're kidding, right?

So let me get this straight...you make a blunder like that, it costs Germany the world cup and then they say you are the MVP of the tournament. He wasn't even the best keeper in the tournament...he couldn't catch a bouncing zeppelin. Fcuk me, Seaman only made one mistake all tournament...should he be made MVP?

8 goals was it? I think perhaps your MVP is right there...

Jimmy Holiday

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ronaldo

That said, think of it this way: a keeper fcuks up and it causes a goal; a striker fcuks up and it is either saved by the keeper or it goes wided or he's stripped of the ball by a defender. Kahn made one mistake during the whole tournament. How many did Ronaldo make?

Keeper

Kahn was unbelievable the whole tourney,even in the finals....To his credit,that shot was very stoppable but that ball was all over the map(Damn new balls).

But.....

Its just that scoring 8 goals in 6 games is a great feat and hardly ever done ..........Ronaldo staked his claim to being the best finisher in the world,and should of been the recepient of the Golden Ball Award..

mehmet

Aug 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Reality Check!!!!

Gaf,

Sounds like you're bitter that England crashed out so early. I always admired your objectivity in the past, but you seem to have lost every ounce of it in your last post. Allow my to point out the obvious: England couldn't get past the quarters and Germany got to the final - it's safe to say that Kahn carried Germany there - Seaman didn't and couldn't anyway (Martyn would have been a better choice in goal for England). Who ever said that the tournament MVP award has to go the someone on the winning team (I'm assuming the Golden Ball is the MVP award at the WC)? Ron Hextall won the award in '87, when the the Flyers lost the Stanley Cup Final to Edmonton.

I'd take Kahn, Carlos, or Rustu (or whatever the Turkish keeper's name is) in goal before I took Seaman.

A fantastic World Cup for Germany - and Ronaldo and the rest of Brazil too.

Mehmet.

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'd put Rustu's performance for Turkey on-par (if not more important) than Kahn's performance for Germany. That, to me, negates Kahn for MVP right there. If he's not far-and-away the most dominant keeper in the tourney, there's no way in hell he should receive the golden ball.

Whoever voted for Roberto Carlos should be horsewhipped and forced to return to judge figure skating and/or boxing. Use those 12 votes (take a few away from Mr. Edhino and Rivaldo as well) to give Ronaldo the award he deserves.

Which one was Hong Myung Bo?
-Sensei.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0