Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Fitting tribute to Domenic Mobilio

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: Domenic Mobilio

Just received an email about this today; I hope I'm not doubling up on posts with this:
To: Vancouver Whitecaps FC & Simon Fraser University

Canadian soccer legend Domenic Mobilio was a very inspirational player, coach, and friend to many people in our community. His loss has been been felt by soccer players and fans across the nation.

We strongly encourage the Vancouver Whitecaps and Simon Fraser University to honour Domenic's extraordinary career by adopting a special commemorative address at the soon-to-be-constructed soccer training facility at SFU's campus in Burnaby, British Columbia.

As Domenic's name is synonymous with the Vancouver 86ers - predecessors to the current Whitecaps club - it would be a very fitting tribute if the new training centre were to bear the address “86 Domenic Mobilio Way.”

Domenic and his fellow Vancouver 86ers were recently inducted into the BC Sports Hall of Fame, and rightfully so. Their astonishing 46-game undefeated streak over the 1988 and 1989 seasons was a virtually unheard of accomplishment for any professional sports franchise. The sucess of the Vancouver 86ers made Domenic and his teammates household names.

"86 Domenic Mobilio Way" would be one more permanent tribute to a very talented individual who will be missed dearly by fans, players, parents and coaches alike.

Sincerely,

The Undersigned
Sign the petition here.

Spoons02

Nov 14, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
86 Domenic Mobilio Way

Hey everyone. I was watching the news this morning, and came across this. Thought you guys might be interested.

http://www.petitiononline.com/mobilio/

its a petition to have one of the streets near SFU named after Domenic Mobilio

i didnt know where to post it so i thought id put it here.

Mods feel free to move it wherever.

Spoons

Spoons02

Nov 14, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money

whoops missed this post. i just posted the same thing in the fvsl premier section. saw it on the news this morning. my bad

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

No worries, hopefully something comes out of it!

Cheers,

~Regs.

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

I don't know the background to the petition so I may be a bit off base in my suggestions/questions. Maybe someone behind the petition could comment on what else has been done to further the idea of recognition for one of Canada's greatest players.

As a former President of the SFU Alumni Association and somewhat still involved at SFU I know something about how SFU goes about naming facilities/rooms/etc. In this instance as it is the Whitecaps entering into a partnership with SFU with Whitecaps money, the best way for this to proceed is via the Whitecaps. The SFU Varsity coach could make enquiries but it would likely have to the Whitecaps call before SFU would do anything.

Has thought been given to other ideas to recognize Domenic such as at Swanguard Stadium where he played so many games and there is a stronger identification between him and that venue? For example, at Mahon Park in North Van the stands are called Fen Burdett Stadium. He was a huge sponsor of soccer and baseball and started what became the best soccer club over there for many years. A guy who played on our first Burdetts team started the campaign with the City of North Van and this is how that got done.

Having watched Domenic play at Swanguard so many times it seems to me that it would be great to have the City of Burnaby who control Swanguard involved in finding a lasting way to recognized Domenic along with the Whitecaps. Anyone know if the Whitecaps are involved in this?

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Anyone know if the Whitecaps are involved in this?
5bigtoes talked to Lenarduzzi a couple of weeks ago regarding getting the soccer community to retire the #10 for a game so maybe he knows.

There is also a tribute fund setup on the Heart & Stoke foundation for Domo here:

Domo H&SF Tribute Fund

There is additional talk of holding a long-term, annual drive of some sort like a Terry Fox Run thing but I'm not too sure how far along that has gotten so far other than the talks I had with the Heart & Stroke Foundation.

Cheers,

~Regs.

striker14

Jul 29, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs said:
5bigtoes talked to Lenarduzzi a couple of weeks ago regarding getting the soccer community to retire the #10 for a game so maybe he knows.

I think that is a fantastic idea!!

A statue outside of Swangard Stadium of Mobiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiilio should be erected! Just a thought

striker14

glasgow ghirl

Oct 14, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
If you haven't seen this already.....

To: Vancouver Whitecaps FC & Simon Fraser University
Canadian soccer legend Domenic Mobilio was a very inspirational player, coach, and friend to many people in our community. His loss has been been felt by soccer players and fans across the nation.

We strongly encourage the Vancouver Whitecaps and Simon Fraser University to honour Domenic's extraordinary career by adopting a special commemorative address at the soon-to-be-constructed soccer training facility at SFU's campus in Burnaby, British Columbia.

As Domenic's name is synonymous with the Vancouver 86ers - predecessors to the current Whitecaps club - it would be a very fitting tribute if the new training centre were to bear the address “86 Domenic Mobilio Way.”

Domenic and his fellow Vancouver 86ers were recently inducted into the BC Sports Hall of Fame, and rightfully so. Their astonishing 46-game undefeated streak over the 1988 and 1989 seasons was a virtually unheard of accomplishment for any professional sports franchise. The success of the Vancouver 86ers made Domenic and his team-mates household names.

"86 Domenic Mobilio Way" would be one more permanent tribute to a very talented individual who will be missed dearly by fans, players, parents and coaches alike.

http://www.petitiononline.com/mobilio/petition.html

Sincerely,

The Undersigned

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hey, I heard something about an online petition for naming a street after Domo up at SFU - does anyone have a link to it?

:D

Cheers,

~Regs.

Footy99

Nov 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
The petition was started by a Southsider name Johnnie and MLA Harry Bloy great job on this as they are nearing 3000 names ! :D

Cheers

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0