Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Frank Yallop Resigns

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Just heard on the Team 1040. Anyone see this comming?

Regs...can Insinc get an "exit" interview, by chance?

Bad for Canadian Soccer, but maybe we can get Dale Mitchell in place now.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yallop Leaves for MLS’ LA Galaxy

Frank Yallop
Ottawa, Ontario – Canada’s Men’s National Team head coach, Frank Yallop, has decided to leave his current position for the vacant LA Galaxy head coaching position and will begin work with his new club immediately.

The MLS job was made vacant yesterday following the firing of head coach Steve Sampson, whose tenure as the Galaxy boss lasted nearly two years. Sampson, who had brought the ‘double’ to LA in 2005 after winning both the MLS Cup and US Open Cup in that year, was mired in the longest losing streak (6) in club history and found his Galaxy languishing at the bottom of the league table.

Yallop, whose record was 8-9-3 since his hiring on December 16, 2003, will be making a return to the league where he began his coaching career as an assistant in 1999 with the Tampa Bay Mutiny. Two years later, the former Canadian international took the reins of the San Jose Earthquakes and grabbed two MLS Cup titles in 2001 and 2003 before returning to Canada.

In a statement released today, the Canadian Soccer Association stated that “it was disappointed that Frank Yallop had made the decision to step away from his role as the head coach of Canada’s National Team; especially since the more recent results have looked very promising. However, the Association would like to thank Frank for his effort and dedication and wish both he and his family the best of luck in Los Angeles.”

The former Ipswich Town defender made 52 appearances for his country in an international career that spanned seven years. He made his debut against Mexico in 1990 and then became a regular on the Canadian defence, appearing in every match he was available for from his debut through to the end of qualifying for the 1998 World Cup. His final game was against Costa Rica in 1997. Yallop also captained Canada in 1997 for a World Cup qualifier against the USA.

Canada’s search for Yallop’s replacement will begin immediately.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
WOW!!!

This is totally left field... I had been 'let known' a couple of weeks ago that Frank was actually moving to Toronto to take the MLS job there.

We'll definitely put in a call to him to get a few words if he is available but even if he doesn't, we do have Dale on :D

WOW!

Ralph Wiggum

Jun 10, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Any reason the CSA board shouldn't be fired for not being able to hold onto good people, or work to the strenghts of people? Holger brings them a Gold Cup but the players revolt because he's difficult - no board support for a successful coach. Frank is a coach who has a strong allegiance to the Candian program, but leaves for the US - how can the board not be able to make this job more attractive than that one?

Of course, I just look for any reason to get rid of the Lazy Blazers, now fully wound up. :mad:

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Actually, Frank just wanted to get more playing time for MF Celtic...:D

Sorry to see this happen - finally get a home-grown coach with a bit of a clue, and then have him walk for greener pastures ($$$). Mitchell wouldn't be bad, but the Lazy Blazers would probably get on his nerves really quickly too. Once again, I say start at the top with Kevyn Pipe and fire them all. We've put up with these incompetent dolts for far too long.:mad:

Trece

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Agreed 100%.

If Frank was to leave, why could we not have had him at least land in TO?

It's always one step forward, two steps back w/ the CSA. About time the Powers recognise this, and force Pipe out.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Depends if they were to call you off the stool to get in the game or not. ;)

Then again, if they did, it'd be good comedy to see you out there in your bean squeezers. Fcuk me man, you make Bobby Lenarduzzi's 1986 Canada Wold Cup Adidas shorts look long.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Not a mention of this in the Province this morning. A bunch of WC stuff, but not a whisper of Yallop resigning.

Christ...if Chapman claims to be so pro Footy, you'd think he'd pull a finger out.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The media in Vancouver is diabolical. Their heads are so firmly lodged up hockey’s backside they can almost taste what they had for dinner last night. They truly are narrow minded bunch when it comes right down to it. If it’s not affecting this city's other team or the Canucks it’s a secondary thought and if it’s soccer it’s barely an after thought.

Up-front should get Chapman to come on and defend the Province’s socking lack of interest in all things not hockey. If no one knows what's going on then no one cares...

If this were any other country the news would be splattered all over the front page of every single paper.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Thing is, Chapman would defend his paper saying "look at the World Cup coverage we are giving!"... then he would go on to say that "we give international scores and half a page to big soccer events usually on a daily basis"

The problem , Paul, is that your paper is lazy when it comes to reporting sports "news" that is relevant to the ALL the people in this province.

Canucks and Hockey is an easy sell here. But that's the problem. You are more worried about the selling aspect of the journalistic world that the actual journalism.

:mad:

Premium Membership

~Regs.

:D

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The media in Vancouver is truly diabolical. Their heads are so firmly lodged up hockey’s backside they can almost taste what they had for dinner last night. They truly are a narrow minded bunch when it comes right down to it. If it’s not affecting this city's other teams or the Canucks it’s a secondary thought and if it’s soccer it’s barely an after-thought.

Up-front should get Chapman to come on and defend The Province and it's shocking lack of interest in all things not hockey. If no one knows what's going on, then no one cares...

If this were any other country the news would be splattered all over the front page of every single paper.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
PS.

I hardly consider Lenord Bobaduzzi's coles notes version of AP releases as soccer coverage either.

cside17

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
knvb said:
The media in Vancouver is diabolical. Their heads are so firmly lodged up hockey’s backside they can almost taste what they had for dinner last night. They truly are narrow minded bunch when it comes right down to it. If it’s not affecting this city's other team or the Canucks it’s a secondary thought and if it’s soccer it’s barely an after thought.

Up-front should get Chapman to come on and defend the Province’s socking lack of interest in all things not hockey. If no one knows what's going on then no one cares...

There's a story on page A67 by Terry Bell in today's province. FYI Chapman is now a news editor, and has been for about 2 yrs. I think when he was Sports editor, we had better coverage. But it has went down hill after he switched deptartments.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Don’t get me wrong, cside, I’m not slagging Chapman here. Just the general media in Vancouver and of course his paper, being that they are the only ones to really put a concerted effort into sports journalism, in fact that’s the only reason I subscribe to that rag in the first place. The fact is though, they’ll hold the presses to slap Crows fired ass all over both covers and comparatively speaking Gretzkey’s mug when he was hired, but our National team soccer coach quits and we have an “article” written by Terry bell buried on page A67?? Come on. How will average Canadian’s care about the rubbish going on at CSA when they don’t give a fcuk to even report it. They’ll call Gretz out on his National team selections but we’re hard pressed to even know we have a National soccer team let alone who is actually on it.

More exposure means more support and with more support maybe some of these Muppets will finally be held accountable and we can stop being a punch lines at world soccer banquets. It’s got to start somewhere.

crafty cokcney

Nov 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
knvb said:
More exposure means more support and with more support maybe some of these Muppets will finally be held accountable and we can stop being a punch lines at world soccer banquets. It’s got to start somewhere.

This doesn't happen very often, so don't get used to it, but I totally agree with the dutchman on this issue. In world football circles, Canada's soccer team is laughed at in the same manner as our english hockey team is in hockey circles. The difference is, Canada is supposedly trying to change that mindset where as we know our hockey is shyte and we don't really care and have no intention of improving it.
Seems to me, that people at the CSA and the media don't really give a fukc about their men's National soccer program that much, far less than Frank did for sure and hence the parting of the ways. If your employers don't care why should you. It's pointless constantly banging your head against a brick wall. You combine this with the reaction from the public and the media, which is basically SFA, and you can't blame Frank for leaving. I bet at least half the population in this country don't even know who Frank Yallop is or even care what has happened.

Very dissapointing indeed..:(

Anyways, on to the World Cup and I have your lads KNVB going all the way to the final. So take off your Canada hat and put on your Dutch one for the next five weeks at least.

Cheers

LFC2

Sep 8, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
A little realism needed here.

First Dude, just because there is no huge picture or connect the dot puzzle does not mean the story is not there. It got a 1/3 of a page.

KNVB, they cover what people want to read about, plain and simple. I know I have asked you before but ask again, how many Whitecaps or CSA games you been out to in the last 5 years? We are a community of more than a million people and I would venture to say there are no more than 1500-2000 diehard Caps fans out there, and probably a good chunk for the nostalgia like myself than the soccer itself. And I do not count myself as one of the Diehards. Now the Canucks, would venture to guess we are a long ways north of 100000 British Columbians that would peg themselves a Canucks diehard, and know who Mark Crawford or Richard Loney is.

Crafty, I would peg the number closer to 90-95% who don't know who Yallop is. At the 50% mark I would be shocked if that many knew the name of our Prime Minister.

Fact is what you say and what you do is two different things. Sure everybody from the braintrusts at the CSA to the Coaches to the players all say the right things about visions and direction and such, but the reality remains the resources nor the desire to provide the resources exist in Canada. It would take a huge investment to turn the National program into a legit top 30-40 team. Especially in this day and age where it has become far more about the club than the country. Look at the whole Rooney tug-o-war right now between MU and England. FIFA mediators prresent for crying out loud. May be a bit naive on my part but I would venture to guess following along the same path as they are on now the Champions League may become more sought after by both players and fans than the WC or the Euro. It is all about the money now. We will be watching a tourney, which I can't wait for and will enjoy every minute of, where the top players in the world will be playing in their 60th,70th, 80th etc games in 10 months. Any wonder why the headlines for the last week are all about the injuries??

Anyways I am Canadian and will be out to support them next time they are in Burnaby and hope that at some point in my lifetime a group will get on a run and make it like Trinidad did this time. It will be a collosul achievment if they do, and I think it is absolutely assenine given present day circumstances to think that we should make it.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sadly you're right, it is plain and simple which is my point. Insert what Regs said; “where they are more worried about the selling aspect of the journalistic world than the actual journalism." It doesn’t matter how many Whitecaps games I’ve gone to, it’s completely irrelevant. Frankly, The Whitecaps are dull as one of Dude’s mountain biking posts. Why don’t you ask me how many youth games and trainings I’ve attended of my own free accord? Those games aren't being reported either.

Listen, I’m not asking for 3 pages of Stevey Kindel or JJ happenings all I’m asking for is when something is going on with our National soccer program that someone in the media report it and report it properly, like they would for, an obvious example being, our Mens National Hockey team. When people are talking about something, they care and it's not until they care will anyone be taken to task of the decisions or direction of the current CSA is my point. I think.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ah, I see the story now, my bad. Call it early morning cobwebs, as I read the paper at 5:15. Funny, I did make the effort to look for a mention, and did find the Roony story. Didn't look down.

LFC2, great point, but KNVB's is even better. You mention the lack of a fan base...not really, not for the game. How many Canadians turn into supporters of other nations the minute the WC or Euros roll around? Tons! The fan base for the game is huge, but they all have the same attitude: they won't support our National team because they rank so low.

How do you think our support would be if Canada was ranked top 10, like the US? I'd venture a bet that it would be a hell of a lot higher than the American support for their squad. I'll even say it would rival hockey. All of a sudden, those Canadians, who over the next few weeks will wear some other countries colors just so they can support a team, would be pulling on Canada shirts. It would be near pandemonium. And you, LFC2, would be one of them.

Maybe I'm too patriotic, as I seem to get shite on this site and off it all the time, but I honestly could give a fcuk about the WC right now. I'll watch some games to watch some good footy, but I don't care if Argentina humps England in round 2, or if some African nation can make a run. I don't care. If Canada were in it, damn rights I would. I may very well not bother to watch one game, since it has no importance to me. That's just me though...but I really think that other Canadian soccer fans and players are so damn desperate to support a winner, that they will latch on to a country, and declare support for life. Maybe it is due to family heritage, maybe not...irrelevant. But, if Canada were a top 10 team tomorrow, would you honestly cheer for England? Or KNVB for the Dutch? Or Trece for Brazil? Ranger for Scotland (oops, sorry Bigman)? Regs for Angola?

How many of us grew up in the Whitecaps heyday, and early '80s? I think I was in Kindergarten in 1979, and I clearly remember us singing "White is the Color" during the school play. I remember going to Empire, then BC place to watch the Caps. I remember the last game they placed under the dome before the NASL folded. I remember the parade. I also remember that back then, being involved in soccer seemed more important.

Seriously, can somebody in their 40s tell me if I am right about this? Was the NASL not the shite back then, and were the Caps not the hottest ticket in town?

I keep going back to this, but we need the MLS here in Vancouver. The success of the NASL here proves that the fans are here, we're just snobbish. The USL just isn't good enough for most of us. The only reasons I bought season's tickets was for Mini Dude, and so I could get first dibs on the new (never going to happen) stadium. Two or three Canadian bases MLS franchises, paying a fair salary for domestic players, playing against higher caliber competition, would do wonders here. It would be supported by soccer snobs like KNVB and 99% of TTPers who couldn't be fcuked to attend a USL match (same guys who find their way to Swanguard to watch Sunderland).

What's the word Regs uses? Apathy? That's what we have: fan apathy.

And, back to the topic at hand: losing Yallop just goes to show and prove Crafty's point...the troubles in the CSA office are significant, and transparent. Start at the top, and just keep the rifle firing.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0