Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Friends of Soccer: Quebec Turban Ban Cannot Stand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dutch13

Feb 5, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
What does the ban entail? Just a temporary ban from national competitions? Does it affect their funding/players ability to play in other FIFA competitions?

jimmy_jones

Jan 15, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
What does the ban entail? Just a temporary ban from national competitions? Does it affect their funding/players ability to play in other FIFA competitions?

It should be something serious like not allow them to compete in nationals for men's and women's and possibly move the 'western' classics a bit more west...at least if they don't act quickly, only way to get them to follow the rules, on top of it cut some funding and watch the fun ...

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
So it's just like everything else in Quebec: Political in nature and an attempt to isolate itself from everything that is "Canadian"

Dia-fcuking-bolical. Even that Moron Trudeau sees it how any normal thinking human being would...

Premier Marois sides with Quebec Soccer Federation on turban ban - Montreal - CBC News

When will the CSA Grow a pair and dissolve the Provincial bodies and govern the game in our country from one establishment!? I'm not well-traveled when it comes to smaller bodies, but does the FA have county specific FA's in England? What of the USA? or Spain? Italy? Is there a Tuscan Soccer Federation that ultimately rolls up to the Italy Football Federation?

What about these flagrantly racist and exclusionist comments??!!
The Quebec Soccer Federation says it will uphold its turban ban on the field, and those who don't obey the rules can "play in their backyards."
Quebec Soccer Federation sticks to turban ban - Montreal - CBC News

On the positive side of the coin: Well in by these youngsters!
Strombo | Quebec Soccer Team Wears Turbans To Protest Ban & Support Sikh Players

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
This whole issue is getting much larger than anyone imagined. It seems now to do less with turbans, and more with Quebec and it's constant need to be different than the rest of Canada and to instigate battles when there is no need to do so.

Quebec is a dandy boy...

Last edited by a moderator:

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sadly far too typical of politics and politicians in Quebec - those risibly citing the "autonomy" of the Quebec Soccer Federation and how it's being infringed upon by the CSA are absolutely clueless about the administrative structure of the sport's governing bodies, and probably wouldn't know what a game looked like if it bit them in their collective horses' arses. This is not a sovereignty issue, you têtes de merde, it's about letting kids play...

For once I actually agree with Vic:D

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
NEW YORK fries, selliing QUEBEC poutine, made of INDIAN butter chicken.....

There is a lesson to be learned from that tasty creation.............

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Besides the immediate need to go and try some butter chicken poutine (if I'm not on line for a while, it's because of the heart attack), I suppose I've learned nothing new about Quebec and their politics. Above all, I’m a big fan of sports, of kids playing sports, and not discriminating against any kids playing sports. To hide behind the safety argument is cowardly. This is about Les Quebequois trying to bend anyone and everyone in their province to their “Unique Culture” bullshit. I really hope the form of protest of kids wearing scarves catches fire. In fact, it’d be fantastic if the rest of the soccer playing community in Canada can somehow join in on a national wide protest against Quebec? How about banning ALL Quebec sports from outside competition until this ban is lifted? Can’t see how that could reasonably happen…only at the highest National Governing level, I suppose. Can that happen? Can the Feds in power somehow implement a sanction against ALL Quebec Sports Federations? I have no clue…

That all being said, I can’t help but stir the pot here…how is the local Indian Youth League any different, in the way they exclude kids of non-Indian descent? Sure, much smaller scale, and not sanctioned, but seriously…just saying.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'd like to see the Ultra's in Montreal do some nice big TIFO, and all wear Turbans or Patkas to the next LImpact home game in Montreal.

I'd like to see all youth teams wearing patkas or scarves on their heads. The QSF has it all wrong, if all of their players show them up they'll have no choice but to choke and reverse their call.

Also I'd like to see (assuming the QSF Stays their Course) the CSA keep their ban on the QSF till their teams set to host and participate in Nationals are told they are unable to participate & or host due to the Sanctions on the QSF. You want to see heads roll at the QSF? Have the Provincial Winners told they don't get to compete at Nationals. That'll go over like a lead balloon. Create internal QSF Pressure to de-politicize this issue and get these kids back on the field with their patkas asap.

Jun 19, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
That all being said, I can’t help but stir the pot here…how is the local Indian Youth League any different, in the way they exclude kids of non-Indian descent? Sure, much smaller scale, and not sanctioned, but seriously…just saying.

It is different cuz these kids would have no other league to play in Quebec.

And there are many other leagues and tourneys out there that are non indian.....

I-tal league, Christian league, Croat league, greek league, world police and fire games, chinese league, fiji league, etc etc.

If someone wanted to start a league or tourney for people only of Irish heritage, feel free. No one cares. Lots of ethinic tourneys go on, no one gives a crap.

These kids have no league to play in, that is the difference. Not sure why that is so hard to grasp.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think I saw one article say that this ban applies to approximately 100 kids or so. I also read that the small Sikh population in Montreal is in West Side Montreal which is heavy anglo territory...

So we know it's politically charged and driven, we know it's exclusionary, and we know these kids aren't in large enough numbers to form their own leagues, and thus they'd effectively be limited to "Playing in the backyards"

Disgraceful.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It is different cuz these kids would have no other league to play in Quebec.

And there are many other leagues and tourneys out there that are non indian.....

I-tal league, Christian league, Croat league, greek league, world police and fire games, chinese league, fiji league, etc etc.

If someone wanted to start a league or tourney for people only of Irish heritage, feel free. No one cares. Lots of ethinic tourneys go on, no one gives a crap.

These kids have no league to play in, that is the difference. Not sure why that is so hard to grasp.

I see your point, but I also want to point out that segregation by ethnicity is segregation by ethnicity, no matter which way you slice it.

That being said, the QSF situation truly is a much higher level of urgency, given it's the officially sanctioned league we're talking about here, not a private, unsanctioned league. At this level, there deffinitely cannot be exclusion based on religion.

The whole private league / club thing...well...grey areas all over the place.

Jun 19, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
I see your point, but I also want to point out that segregation by ethnicity is segregation by ethnicity, no matter which way you slice it.

That being said, the QSF situation truly is a much higher level of urgency, given it's the officially sanctioned league we're talking about here, not a private, unsanctioned league. At this level, there deffinitely cannot be exclusion based on religion.

The whole private league / club thing...well...grey areas all over the place.

There is merit to what you are saying Dude, and stripped down I do agree, there is still segregation, that cannot be denied.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts