Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Friends of Soccer: Quebec Turban Ban Cannot Stand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
What specifically are you talking about? If you're going to try and fire me up you need to come stronger than that. Saying "They can go play in their backyard" is racist and exclusionist in my humble opinion- specifically in the context in which it's being spoken. Only Sikh's (A religious group inside the Indian Race) wear these head coverings that the QSF has banned on the park. "they" refers to them, and "in their backyard" means not "with us"

am I missing anything?...

How is it racist? So for instance in hockey as far as I understand it a patka can not be worn as helmets aren't designed to have one worn underneath, safety issue, which is what Quebec is saying here. Right or wrong that is their point. So if Hockey Canada came out and said they will have to stick to road hockey or unsanctioned hockey, they are racist? Don't get carried away JBN, I agree with a lot of what you are saying but there are white Sikhs as well. I think he was more saying they (Patka wearing players) can't play in official sanctioned soccer but can still play the game, have a kick around.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Bulljive,

There is a lot of reading between the lines, for sure, whenever one pulls the "R" Card...but in this case, it's hard to find an argument against it.

First, your hockey comparison doesn't wash, since the helmet is a requirement, and if the helmet can't be worn in a way that it will protect and do it's job, well, you can't play. That is easy enough to grasp, understand, and present a reasonable argument to.

In the case of footy, it's next to impossible for any QUALIFIED PERSON to present an argument showing the patka / cloth / super sporty turban or whatever they are called is a danger to either the person wearing it, or the person competing against the person wearing it. There IS NO SAFETY ISSUE.

Unless, of course, the player is trying to hide a sword under it.

utah

Sep 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I love how the rule says the patka must match the jersey.....still leaves room room for someone to make a decision for a player to play or not....or maybe wnough room for a team to appeal a loss due to the fact the patka did not match the jersey......I wont be surprised to read about it in two years.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think this calls for a turban day of support the next time Temple plays Langley, Gurps. We'll all wear patkas, you bring the butter chicken and dancing girls in saris, we'll supply the deep fryer we took from Utah in the divorce, and our own in-house chef.

We'll tie RJ's hands behind his back so he can't elbow anyone, it'll be a grand old time. Langley Turban Appreciation Night.

Utah, you can come, but you have to bring the cooking oil. ;)

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Great idea dude, let me know what colour jersey you guys will be wearing so I make sure our patkas match our jerseys.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I will, and TBH, I'll probably intentionally sewer you, just to make sure we have a protest in our back pocket after you hump us.

~Covering all angles...

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Any of you guys sensing a new business idea here.....maybe the local soccer stores should start carrying different colour patkas. You could even include them in the TTP twelve days of Christmas sale. Don't worry, we Sikhs don't get offended by the word Christmas or Santa or the Easter Bunny. In fact, we will gladly celebrate all holidays as long as we get the day off.

I even played Santa in my school Christmas play back in Elementary School. I told all the younger kids Santa was away on Vacation hence the tan when they kept asking why Santa seemed different.

Reds-16

Nov 26, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
Any of you guys sensing a new business idea here.....maybe the local soccer stores should start carrying different colour patkas. You could even include them in the TTP twelve days of Christmas sale. Don't worry, we Sikhs don't get offended by the word Christmas or Santa or the Easter Bunny. In fact, we will gladly celebrate all holidays as long as we get the day off.

I even played Santa in my school Christmas play back in Elementary School. I told all the younger kids Santa was away on Vacation hence the tan when they kept asking why Santa seemed different.

Its totally true, I have 2 brown son inlaws, they don't care what denomination holiday it is as long as they get a present.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Gurps, it would be sweet if you could dress as Seikh Santa, and kung-foo fight Johnny, followed by a Bollywood style musical dance scene.

Only for the halftime show, of course.

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
What's wrong with you guys Seikhs are santa did you see their birds. Just bag and few presents and all is good. It is nice to see that the governing body of Qubec gave in and all the Canadian boys with turbans can play.
This is the proof that we live in one of the most democratic country in the World.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0