Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Premier FVSL Premier 2019/20

Status
Not open for further replies.

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes, I have. Life got to busy and I just don’t have time to make soccer/being at top fitness a priority. Not to mention the body doesn’t move like it needs to. Been hard letting go mentally, hard to admit age has caught up. I remember being 18-19 laughing at the 30+ guys saying enjoy it, it goes quick.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Haha, yup. You lasted a long time at a very good level, though. Now you just need something else that gives you as much fulfillment as the game. That's the tougher part of separating from it.

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I’m coaching my 6 year old, playing masters in North Delta. We added a crazy high energy dog to the family so im busier then ever honestly. But yes Im struggling without having the top level competition. I’ve been pondering getting into Triathlons but the thought of putting that running/pounding on my knees is scaring me off. I know to many people that are physically destroyed from it and regret putting in the miles.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I’m coaching my 6 year old, playing masters in North Delta. We added a crazy high energy dog to the family so im busier then ever honestly. But yes Im struggling without having the top level competition. I’ve been pondering getting into Triathlons but the thought of putting that running/pounding on my knees is scaring me off. I know to many people that are physically destroyed from it and regret putting in the miles.

Give me a PM on this if you want. Tris has become one of my many vises along w/ mountain biking and skiing. I will tell you this: all of it is WAY easier on my body than footy ever was. Playing on turf killed me. I spend way less time rehabbing (catastrophic injuries aside, just getting over a shoulder break, but that's going to happen every 10 years or so, matter of time). The reality is, most of those people haven't been through an amateur career playing a contact sport. I've now done two Ironmans, several halves & X-Terra, and physically feel way better than I did between about 26-40 playing footy.

Sorry, back to footy...you young guys, appreciate what you have for the time you have it!

Skuzzy

Oct 14, 2019
Tokens
Dirty Money
Give me a PM on this if you want. Tris has become one of my many vises along w/ mountain biking and skiing. I will tell you this: all of it is WAY easier on my body than footy ever was. Playing on turf killed me. I spend way less time rehabbing (catastrophic injuries aside, just getting over a shoulder break, but that's going to happen every 10 years or so, matter of time). The reality is, most of those people haven't been through an amateur career playing a contact sport. I've now done two Ironmans, several halves & X-Terra, and physically feel way better than I did between about 26-40 playing footy.

Sorry, back to footy...you young guys, appreciate what you have for the time you have it!

Plus 1 for MTB! An absolute blast and, for me at least, way easier on the body. One of the few things I found that I actually enjoy, other than footy.

Turf is an absolute monster... Not even 25 and already 3 knee surgeries in...

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Turf is fcuking brutal. I don't think those in position of championing the overuse of turf really understand right now the long term impact it can have on athletes. It's guys like you, that will have played on it your whole lives, that will really be able to tell the story. For me & @utah, @bulljive, @LION etc. (all us old guys), it really came into play about 2003 ish, NAP was the first then others followed. After that, most of the games and all training went to turf. Before that, we always had grass for matches. It's the matches that really break you down because you are going that much harder, you have full opposition contact, and the stress is multiplied.

People think I get injured may more with so many days a year on the bike (~150 days in 2019, and that is with a big injury in August). It's not even close. The truth is that I don't have nearly as many incidences that would cause injury as you do playing competitive footy.

Skuzzy

Oct 14, 2019
Tokens
Dirty Money
Turf is fcuking brutal. I don't think those in position of championing the overuse of turf really understand right now the long term impact it can have on athletes. It's guys like you, that will have played on it your whole lives, that will really be able to tell the story. For me & @utah, @bulljive, @LION etc. (all us old guys), it really came into play about 2003 ish, NAP was the first then others followed. After that, most of the games and all training went to turf. Before that, we always had grass for matches. It's the matches that really break you down because you are going that much harder, you have full opposition contact, and the stress is multiplied.

People think I get injured may more with so many days a year on the bike (~150 days in 2019, and that is with a big injury in August). It's not even close. The truth is that I don't have nearly as many incidences that would cause injury as you do playing competitive footy.

Yeap! It's extremely hard on the body. My surgeon was telling me that the number of players blowing their knees and ankles has massively increased over the last 10ish years, and there's an increase in younger players with these injuries as well. Us "young" boys will have arthritis before we hit 40 :hilarious:

thetruth

Nov 19, 2019
Tokens
Dirty Money
Anyone know whats going on with the weekly reports ?

and whats the deal with the allstar squad does mills run it or do coaches have a say and when is it announced?

cheers

4thplacetrophy

Mar 3, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
Anyone know whats going on with the weekly reports ?

and whats the deal with the allstar squad does mills run it or do coaches have a say and when is it announced?

cheers

Coaches used to put 3 names forward I think, then it was decided by members of the coaching staff. Usually a few players that have been loyal to the program make it too. Not sure what it looked like last year but a few years back we had a good split of players from around the league. I loved playing in the all star games on the island and in the valley, great day out. The masters team usually made the trip way more fun. #sweetcaroline

That was also the last time we beat the Island too.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I am going to catch hell for this compliment, but the league has done a really nice job w/ this program.

People complain about getting equal representation from all the squads, but the reality is that in the past too many managers and / or players have been unresponsive and leave the league hanging, so what ends up happening is the guys running it defer to the players they know will play.

I've heard that the current format of playing the VISL is a really cool experience, and it's actually a well contested match.

utah

Sep 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
And the starting 11 based on best player at each position.
Not a team of 5 goalies and 6 strikers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts