Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Premier FVSL Premier 2019/20

Status
Not open for further replies.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
And the starting 11 based on best player at each position.
Not a team of 5 goalies and 6 strikers.
It's a cool idea, and not new one, but its an absolute subjective mine field to list 11. Who wants to put their name on that public pick list?

My goalie is better than yours. My bag o dicks is bigger than his.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
It's a cool idea, and not new one, but its an absolute subjective mine field to list 11. Who wants to put their name on that public pick list?

My goalie is better than yours. My bag o dicks is bigger than his.
Maybe you could get your anonymous "Media Department" to do it objectively?

YoAdrian

Sep 26, 2019
Tokens
Dirty Money
And the starting 11 based on best player at each position.
Not a team of 5 goalies and 6 strikers.
[/QUOTE

Ah, but you see here in Canada we would prefer to just put our best 11 players anywhere on the pitch as long as they’re our best. Picking players and playing players based on their actual positions is still a foreign concept.

BUT I wonder would happen if we actually tried playing fullbacks at fullback, center mids in the center of the park, and strikers at striker.

ThiKu

Nov 14, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Turf is fcuking brutal. I don't think those in position of championing the overuse of turf really understand right now the long term impact it can have on athletes. It's guys like you, that will have played on it your whole lives, that will really be able to tell the story. For me & @utah, @bulljive, @LION etc. (all us old guys), it really came into play about 2003 ish, NAP was the first then others followed. After that, most of the games and all training went to turf. Before that, we always had grass for matches. It's the matches that really break you down because you are going that much harder, you have full opposition contact, and the stress is multiplied.

People think I get injured may more with so many days a year on the bike (~150 days in 2019, and that is with a big injury in August). It's not even close. The truth is that I don't have nearly as many incidences that would cause injury as you do playing competitive footy.

As a coach have seen injuries increase dramatically since turf came in. It's not, in my opinion, just a turf issue though. At the same time phys ed in schools dropped significantly, and kids stopped playing outside on their own at an alarmingly increasing rate. That said, turf is a huge contributor, I am convinced, to the increase in injuries to our youth.

I'd be interested to know if anyone has tracked knee injuries in young ladies. Young ladies are already more susceptible to knee injuries, and I would hazard a guess that those injuries have also increased since turf became the norm.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
As a coach have seen injuries increase dramatically since turf came in. It's not, in my opinion, just a turf issue though. At the same time phys ed in schools dropped significantly, and kids stopped playing outside on their own at an alarmingly increasing rate. That said, turf is a huge contributor, I am convinced, to the increase in injuries to our youth.

I'd be interested to know if anyone has tracked knee injuries in young ladies. Young ladies are already more susceptible to knee injuries, and I would hazard a guess that those injuries have also increased since turf became the norm.

I love this discussion, mostly because I think there is a very small faction of us that actually "get it", while the problem being decision makers largely don't.

Firstly, as a former youth coach, I saw the same. I coached girls, and we saw too many catastrophic knee and ankle injuries, more than I could remember as a youth even training on gravel. I am convinced that two of the knee injuries I saw that turf was a big contributor, because I saw it happen and the way their feet simply did not give way on the turf wasn't natural.

We keep adding more and more footballing facilities; this is fantastic. I've traveled enough of the world and take note of the available facilities for footy everywhere else, and we are spoiled in our riches. FFS, we SHUT DOWN pitches when we don't need to, and kick kids off if they aren't there under a permit from a club! In other countries, for the most part, kids can't find a pitch to play on, period. Doesn't matter where, though I haven't been to Australia / NZ yet. The UK, from what I've seen, is the closest to us, but still not even close. Oh, and of course the US is pretty good for parks, but still not to our level. It's simply our very low density, and available land mass to cities, and emphasis on it being a part of our culture. It's a good thing, and that is the good part of it all.

I also think that for the most part your theory on Phys Ed as it relates to soccer players doesn't hold water. The players that are affected by increased injury rates are players on the turf minimal 3-4 times a week, if not more. Those kids are the kids that are outside a lot (even if that outside time is mostly footy), and taking phys ed, or involved in other sports along w/ footy...but your overall point is not lost and I agree with that, though it's a different debate.

I'd like to see for every 2 AT fields with lights built, we have one natural grass pitch with lights built. As least get to the point where certain levels and above have matches played on real grass, and limit training only to turf. I think that'd be huge in helping reduce wear and tear on players.

Anyways...it's a great discussion.

YoAdrian

Sep 26, 2019
Tokens
Dirty Money
UPL Predicitions

Langley 3 SAFC 1
Langley will hopefully have learned from the last time these two met and keep a 2 goal lead intact. Expecting a battle between both and won’t be expecting the red bulls to give up till the final whistle.

Surrey U 1 Coastal 2
I believe this is the first meeting of the season between these two. Coastal should edge out the United boys in this one with a little too much firepower up front.

Pomo 4 CCB 1
Port Moody is a different team at trasolini turf and I think the CCB boys will find that out the hard way.

Abby 5 Van U 0
Coughs*

993AB38B-ABD8-4316-901D-91BC73163D5C.gif

Ronaldo. 07

Oct 7, 2019
Tokens
Dirty Money
Friday Night Results

Langley 3-2 SAFC

3 reds and 2 yellows.

The refs are garbage they don’t call fouls and the games are getting out of hand before u know it it’s too late. People are going to get seriously injured this year. The players don’t get enough protection. And when the ref doesn’t give them the calls they retaliate.

ThiKu

Nov 14, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
I love this discussion, mostly because I think there is a very small faction of us that actually "get it", while the problem being decision makers largely don't.

Firstly, as a former youth coach, I saw the same. I coached girls, and we saw too many catastrophic knee and ankle injuries, more than I could remember as a youth even training on gravel. I am convinced that two of the knee injuries I saw that turf was a big contributor, because I saw it happen and the way their feet simply did not give way on the turf wasn't natural.

We keep adding more and more footballing facilities; this is fantastic. I've traveled enough of the world and take note of the available facilities for footy everywhere else, and we are spoiled in our riches. FFS, we SHUT DOWN pitches when we don't need to, and kick kids off if they aren't there under a permit from a club! In other countries, for the most part, kids can't find a pitch to play on, period. Doesn't matter where, though I haven't been to Australia / NZ yet. The UK, from what I've seen, is the closest to us, but still not even close. Oh, and of course the US is pretty good for parks, but still not to our level. It's simply our very low density, and available land mass to cities, and emphasis on it being a part of our culture. It's a good thing, and that is the good part of it all.

I also think that for the most part your theory on Phys Ed as it relates to soccer players doesn't hold water. The players that are affected by increased injury rates are players on the turf minimal 3-4 times a week, if not more. Those kids are the kids that are outside a lot (even if that outside time is mostly footy), and taking phys ed, or involved in other sports along w/ footy...but your overall point is not lost and I agree with that, though it's a different debate.

I'd like to see for every 2 AT fields with lights built, we have one natural grass pitch with lights built. As least get to the point where certain levels and above have matches played on real grass, and limit training only to turf. I think that'd be huge in helping reduce wear and tear on players.

Anyways...it's a great discussion.

I agree with all of this.

As for kids playing outside - I posted a simple adaptation suggestion to my previous mayor. Adding soccer/hockey goals to all outdoor basketball courts. She said "there are plenty of parks kids can go to" ignoring that kids don't go to them because they don't want to chase a ball 40 yards every time they shoot for goal. And then get kicked off the turf if it isn't rented - despite their parents paying taxes for that very same turf (the local sports teams aren't footing 100% of the bill).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts