Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Group G

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinnie

Jul 21, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Bang on Vratar

I wonder how much players got paid to play in the WC?
I wonder how things would be different if they did not get paid?

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Bang off.

While there may be fewer than a handful of such players, I disagree on the whole. These players are just coming off seasons playing at elite levels -- their physical conditions (other than, perhaps, injuries) are fine. As for their attitudes: suggesting that they don't care enough because they get paid millions, is ridiculous. That's akin to suggesting that hockey players don't have the right attitude in the playoffs, because their salaries cloud their drive for the Stanley Cup.

Wrong.

These players likely crave winning the World Cup their entire lives. Their attitude towards that goal is rightly on track. Suggesting otherwise is stupid. The fact remains that football has a fundamental nature of permitting any team (within reason) to win on any given day. These are all quality teams out there, and it takes quality teams to beat them. Hell, if Italy and Croatia played again, the Italians might very well win.

Like I said before, there might be a couple bad apples (eg. Roy Keane), but for the most part your argument doesn't fly.

Italy, Croatia, France, Argentina, Mexico, Sweden, Poland, Portugal and Denmark are all good teams -- they just lost.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
All class.......

Nothing better than being gracious in defeat.......:rolleyes:

ROME (Reuters) - Dismay, disbelief, anger and tears -- Italy took their World Cup defeat against South Korea like a slap around the face on Tuesday and blamed the Ecuadorian referee for their shock exit.

"Death to the referee," chanted hundreds of Italian supporters gathered in the heart of Rome to watch the game on a giant television screen.

Scuffles broke out in front of the capital's central train station as Italians hurled water bottles and insults at a small group of South Korean supporters who had gathered to celebrate their team's historic victory.

"Thieves, thieves, you stole the game," the Italians yelled before police moved in to restore order.

After trailing for much of the game, South Korea drew level just two minutes before the end of normal time in Taejon, Korea.

In extra time Italy had a man sent off and a goal disallowed for offside -- both decisions denounced by Italian television commentators -- before South Korea scored the winning golden goal, cheered on by a stadium of ecstatic local fans.

"Frankly, that was complete robbery," said Bruno Pizzul, Italy's most famous commentator who was following the game for state broadcaster RAI in South Korea.

"ABSOLUTELY SCANDALOUS"

His anger was shared at the highest level back home.

"The referee was a disgrace, absolutely scandalous. I've never seen a game like it. It seemed as if they just sat around a table and decided to throw us out," Franco Frattini, Italy's minister for public offices, said.

Even respected Italian President Carlo Azeglio Ciampi weighed in declaring that Italy had "deserved to win."

"On the pitch today I saw team spirit, guts, organization and fair play," he said. "At any rate, they've honored Italian soccer and its traditions."

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Italy, Croatia, France, Argentina, Mexico, Sweden, Poland, Portugal and Denmark are all good teams -- they just lost.

Surely, you jest. How could you forget the best team of them all- Ireland? Give your head a shake. Remember the team in green which soundly outplayed the robots from Germany?

vratar

Jan 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
'Keeper, no point arguing with you.... :rolleyes:

Over the top... . :confused:

Captain Shamrock is right, Ireland did play above their potential and was the best Euro team to watch this time around. Its a pity they had to go out to a team they clearly outplayed.

vratar

Jan 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Biteme, Italy did under-achieve today.. but give some credit to the S. Korean GK. he pulled off two crucial saves. As for finishing, if Vieri had those chances on his left foot, perhaps a different ending. Buffon also came up big, especially on the PK.

As for players getting paid to play in the WC I dont know. But you can assume good payoffs for those who go far. Especially 1st, 2nd & 3rd place finishers. For some of these elite players who earn big mutli-million salaries with club teams, these WC incentives are merely pocket-change.

Slav

Mar 4, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
All players on all teams get some money for going to the World Cup. Each team is different, and it also depends on how far the team will go. For example, the South Korean coach, Hiddink, got a 1 million dollar bonus just for making it to the second round. Not sure how much he gets for going to the quarters? Another example is the Russian team. All the players get money, but also, the best player on the team for the tourny, gets a brand new Porsche. I think each Croatian player got a couple of hundred thousand dollars. All in all, everybody gets some financial benefits for the World Cup.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
During the Italy/Korea match, the commentator mentioned that each Korean player received a new car and $82,000 for making the second round and that doubled if they made the Quarters.

They did.

~TB.

Buckfast

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Cnuts......

Ahn's Italian coup earns him the sack

ROME, June 19 (Reuters) - Italian soccer club Perugia has cut its ties with South Korea's Ahn Jung-hwan after he scored the goal which knocked Italy out of the World Cup, Perugia's chairman was quoted as saying on Wednesday.

'That gentleman will never set foot in Perugia again,' Luciano Gaucci told sports' daily La Gazzetta dello Sport.

Italy has reacted with fury to Tuesday's shock 2-1 defeat to South Korea, accusing the referee and soccer's ruling body FIFA of fixing the match.

Ahn, who missed a penalty earlier in the match, was hailed as a national hero when he headed home the golden goal winner in the 116th minute.

But his goal was viewed in a different light at Perugia in central Italy, where he has been viewed as an under-achiever during his stay at the club.

'He was a phenomenon only when he played against Italy. I am a nationalist and I regard such behaviour not only as an affront to Italian pride but also an offence to a country which two years ago opened its doors to him,' Gaucci was quoted as saying.

'I have no intention of paying a salary to someone who has ruined Italian soccer.'

Ahn joined Perugia on loan from the South Korean team Pusan I.cons in the summer of 2000. He scored five goals in 29 appearances.

A Perugia spokesman said on Wednesday the club had virtually decided to release Ahn even before the World Cup tie.

Vinnie

Jul 21, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Korean Incentives

I heard somewhere that the Korean team was also given immunity from the mandatory army training.

Slav

Mar 4, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Italian bitterness

I've been reading a lot of stuff on the net on how bitter Italian officals are that they lost. They are coming up with all these conspiracy theories and so forth. The poor Korean goal scorer is even being let go by his club team in Italy for scoring and playing well against Italy. What, he was supposed to lay flat and do dick all? I thought I would be hearing all these fcuked up excuses from Italians in Vancouver, but not, from what I heard and seen, they aren't bitching about anything.

Did anybody see the Trapattoni interview after the game? All he said was that Korea played with heart, but Italy deserved, and were really the winners. How fcuking so? Vieri couldn't do his job, countless chances, etc. The Koreans played a hell of a lot better in the second and extra time. And like Trapattoni said himself, they played with heart, something Italy, along with Croatia (except when we played Italy) didn't have through out the whole tournament.

Here's a little article to see what they are bitching about :mad:

Angry Italy blame 'conspiracy'
Simon Evans

CHONAN, South Korea (Reuters) - Any team would be angry if they had been eliminated from the World Cup like Italy were against South Korea.

Italy's Giovanni Trapattoni and Francesco Totti (Reuters)
But surely no other team, especially if they were former world champions and one of the soccer powers of Europe, would have behaved with such uncontrolled fury as Italy have in the past 24 hours.

Players, press, officials and the public are seriously suggesting that there was a plot involving the referee to get rid of Italy, one of the most popular teams at the World Cup and one of the few remaining 'elite' teams.

'It was a scandal. The truth is he (the referee) had his mind set against us - this was a desired elimination,' said striker Francesco Totti, sent off in extra time in Korea's 2-1 win.

'By who? I don't know - there are things greater than me but the feeling is that they wanted us out.'

The history of the World Cup, like any other sporting competition, is littered with controversy and recriminations, and referees on the global stage are as capable of error as anywhere else.

The Italians had five goals disallowed in three matches and a series of questionable decisions go against them before Tuesday's second round match against co-hosts South Korea.

Totti was controversially dismissed and what appeared a very tight offside decision went against them, both in extra time, before Italy lost on a golden goal to the co-hosts.

UNDERSTANDABLE ANGUISH

But what some Italians have suggested as an explanation for Ecuadorean referee Byron Moreno's performance goes beyond the understandable anguish of a team that feel, with some justification, they were unlucky to be eliminated.

'The referee was a disgrace, absolutely scandalous. I've never seen a game like it. It seemed as if they just sat around a table and decided to throw us out,' Franco Frattini, Italy's minister for public offices, said.

Not too much should be read into the words of a politician watching the game on television in Rome but even the head of the Italian Football Federation's delegation - the country's senior soccer diplomat - was suggesting underhand practice.

'Korea is a powerful country. It's clear that they would have done something,' he said on Italian state television, without elaborating. 'I've never in my life seen refereeing that bad.'

In soccer terms Korea is not a powerful country while Italy most certainly is, being home to one of the sport's most famous leagues and many of its greatest players.

Italy coach Giovanni Trapattoni also offered a strange explanation for his team's exit.

'Yesterday after Japan were eliminated I said that it would be tough that we had an additional opposition. I am not talking about a plot but about an additional opposition,' said Trapattoni.

There is more than just bitterness behind such conspiracy theories - the reaction of the Italians is a reflection of a mindset that is firmly established in their own domestic league.

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It's simple really

If Vieri's right leg was used for something other than standing on then all of this match fixing and bias accusations would have never come up... His brutal excuse for a strike on goal with his right foot was worse than the last girls team I coached when they were learning how to use their left peg!!!
Ahn getting the pink slip is a mockery of Italian football (no wonder they didn't have a team qualify for the later rounds of the Champions League)... They just aren't as good as they think they are!!! The Wops are showing the World what a classless mob they really are... If they want to kick anyone out of they country then they should send Vieri back to Australia where he grew up!!!:rolleyes:

Fastshow

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
well said...

Quite right, Guinness, quite right. Vieri grew up playing cricket as well which should render the handful of dozy CFL-loving homosexualists on TTP almost purple with rage or, at the very least, prompt them into writing something suitably camp in an effort to raise my ire. Fanclubs, eh? Who needs 'em?

For all the money Vieri is supposedly worth, all any of them have to do in life is play football. You'd have thought a couple hours a day allocated to training on your chocolate peg would simply increase their worth on the transfer market. In no way am I picking on the wops exclusively; Maradona's right peg was simply an appendage he used, presumably, to chop up Bolivian marching powder and had Gazza had a left peg against the hated German hordes in Euro 96 England would have knocked the filthy scum out of the competition.

On a more local level, imagine how good Shitpicks would have been/be were he able to touch the ball with his right peg without falling over. It's not even worth contemplating.

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Italy

Maybe it is about time for Italian soccer officials to look at themselves instead of blaming everyone else including the conspiracy to eliminate them. Yes, they were screwed a number of times by refs and yes, the red card vs Korea was a poor decision by the referee (who seemed to not realize the yellow he was giving for the dive was a second one).

You have to ask the question. Why would a guy dive anyway in OT, it is not likely it will be called a peno and it could produce the diver a yellow. Some bright thinking there! Granted some better finishing by Italy would have led to a win.

But, Italy needs to regroup at the international level with some new thinking and coaching or this will simply happen again. Some of the subbing and playing so defensively needs to get re-thought. It ain't working no more. Other teams including new teams just keep coming and coming knowing that the more opportunities they create will eventually lead to goals.

This is one time they should put more blame on the coach (at least for some of the dumbest subbing decisions ever).

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Italian hot-blood.

That's nuts. They're just a bunch of cry-babies. Had they lost in the finals with Ahn scoring, he wouldn't be treated half as badly. Case in point, look at what Trezeguet did in Euro 2000 -- and he still played in Italy the following year. The Italians are just cutting Ahn because he's not a very highly priced player and he's expendable. They just fear the the backlash to the whole club when he walks out onto opponents fields.

Fcukin' babies.

BJB

Sep 27, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Anybody watch BCTV??

They showed clips of the koreans celebrating in van and toronto, as well as the I-ties. But they actually gave the i-ties a mic so they can talk and i never heard a bunch of idiots talk like that before. What a disgrace to the community. All u hear is How much did they pay the ref?, This whole tourney is fixed, wah wah wah. cry me a fckuing river. The i-ties had there chances and did not put away. Why dotn' u ask how much Vieri got paid for missing that sitter in front of the net?? Congrats to the koreans on there win, but i think thats all for the cinderella temas, other than turkey/senegal who play each other.

Slav

Mar 4, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regarding Ahn's performance against Italy

'He was a phenomenon only when he played against Italy. I am a nationalist and I regard such behaviour not only as an affront to Italian pride but also an offence to a country which two years ago opened its doors to him,' Gaucci was quoted as saying.

'I have no intention of paying a salary to someone who has ruined Italian soccer.'

Lucky bastard that Ahn is; I wish I could have ruined Italian soccer. Just out of curiosity, what do the TTP Italians think about Ahn being let go because of his performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts