Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Group H

Who will win this group?

• Japan

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Belgium

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • Russia

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Tunisia

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Teams

Japan
Belgium
Russia
Tunisia

Games
Code:
Date Venue Time Teams
04 Jun Saitama 18:00 Japan : Belgium  
05 Jun Kobe 15:30 Russia : Tunisia  
09 Jun Yokohama 20:30 Japan : Russia  
10 Jun Oita 18:00 Tunisia : Belgium  
14 Jun Osaka 15:30 Tunisia : Japan  
14 Jun Shizuoka 15:30 Belgium : Russia

Head-to-Heads in World Cup finals (since 1930)
Code:
none.

Head-to-Heads overall (since 1992)
Code:
26 Feb 92  Tunis  Tunisia vs. Belgium  2:1 (1:0) [Friendly] 
01 Aug 95  Tokyo  Japan vs. Russia  3:2 (0:0) [Friendly] 
24 Apr 96  Brussels  Belgium vs. Russia  0:0 (0:0) [Friendly] 
13 Oct 96  Kobe  Japan vs. Tunisia  1:0 (1:0) [Friendly] 
03 Jun 99  Tokyo  Japan vs. Belgium  0:0 (0:0) [Friendly]

TTP Prediction: Japan

BJB

Sep 27, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Belgium Hands Down

I think the belgiums will win this group with hosta Japan taking 2nd. Russia would be one of my usual picks but u got to give japan home field advantage. Belgiums showed some stuff playing with croatia and scotland in qualifying and i remember watching one game of qualifying, they are very talented.

1 Belgium
2 Japan
3 Russia
4 Tunisia

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The 'Witch Doctor' Leads Japanese Into WC 2002

Japan coach Philippe Troussier is no stranger to football's premier competition.

After guiding South Africa through France 98, the globe-trotting French coach has given the Japanese a strong belief that he can get the joint-hosts past the initial group stage at the very least.

The Asian Coach of the Year's record so far makes for impressive reading.

Before an appearance in the final f the Confederations Cup earlier this year Troussier also claimed the 2000 Asian Cup, the FIFA World Youth Championship and a quarter-final berth at the Sydney Olympic tournament.

Dubbed the 'White Witch Doctor' for his success in turning faltering African sides around, Troussier was hired by the Japanese Football Association in the autumn of 1998.

After the bitter experience of three straight defeats in their first World Cup appearance in France, Troussier was identified as the man to inject some steel into an inconsistent Japan side.

Despite some initial friction with the conservative JFA, largely because of his flamboyant style, Troussier slowly gained the confidence of the public and players.

Initial successes were with the youth side, while the senior squad was gradually relieved of the fading stars of yesteryear.

The Asian Cup in Lebanon marked the emergence of many of the current senior squad - players moulded in the Troussier vein with grit and determination to grind out results.

Despite some hiccups, notably the 5-0 defeat against France in Paris in March, Troussier remains confident he can repay his healthy salary with something for his hosts to celebrate over a glass of sake next year.

Speaking after the autumn 1-1 draw with Italy, Troussier said: "Our plans are coming together. If we play like this I think we'll do well."

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Mpenza Doubtful for Belgium's WC Run

Belgium striker Emile Mpenza faces a race against time to be fit for the World Cup finals.

The Schalke forward has not played for the Red Devils in their six matches since October through a series of injuries.

The most recent, a hamstring strain, could rule him out of next week's friendlies against Algeria and France.

Coach Robert Waseige, already without defender Joos Valgaeren for Korea and Japan, said: "If he is not fit to play by France on May 18, then the situation becomes critical."

Waseige was himself the centre of speculation after rumours spread that he would leave his post after the finals.

The veteran has been linked with a move to Standard Liege following comments about the running of the national team.

He added: "I first want to talk to president Jan Peeters to explain my grievances to him.

"If I sign a new contract before or after the World Cup is not clear for me either. We haven't yet talked about any date."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0