Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Horrible Luge Accident Day 1

bergamascho

Nov 16, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
Vancouver has left an indelible mark on the Oly_pics as they now join an infamous group of hosts who have been scarred by a death...Blargh...what an awful feeling, wish it would go away.

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
They are discussing changing the track at the dangerous points, i believe by building up the walls higher so they can't leave the track. They discussed putting up a wall kinda like hockey boards to protect riders from leaving the track.

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
These tracks are built so that during a crash people don't come out of the track. Obviously this is a first and the reason the beams are exposed. Yes they should fix this(plexiglass), but it is a freak accident. It shouldn't be about pointing fingers, one can be just as easily pointed at the inexperienced athlete, who as other riders have said should never have lifted his head. Unfortunalty this has happened, it's a time of mourning not finger pointing. That will come later I'm sure but don't think for a second they hadn't looked to make this safe prior to the accident.

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Agreed, they shouldn't be pointing fingers. They were saying on Sportsnet that he was was an experienced luger. First Olympics and he'd been competing at a lower level of luge before making the olympic team or something.

On that note, they replayed the crash and, not that i'm a luger by any stretch, it appeared he cornered a little hard and actually hit the opposite corner which launched him into the air, rather than just ride the corner out.

Painful to watch again.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The Georgian team came into the stadium to a standing ovation. All were wearing black armbands to honour Nodar, and apparently left the ceremonies right after. They will be staying to compete in the games, but as has been mentioned, you have to wonder about their mindset.

Condolences to Nodar's family and team mates.

Trece:(

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
CTV right after the ceremonies were over went to the national news where the lead story was this tragedy and the mindless idiots showed the full video again.

WTF are they thinking?

oldtimer

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 22, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
The Georgian team may even go home after this event. How can you blame them really, as much as you wanna participate on the biggest stage, I wouldn't blame them a bit if they were to choose to go home.
No one would have blamed them if they had gone home, except for maybe the African Football Federation...who by the way, suspended the Togo national team for two years (after they pulled out from the African Nations Cup after their team bus was machine-gunned killing 3) and basically called them cowards for doing it:(:(:( Unbelievable!!!:(

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
CTV right after the ceremonies were over went to the national news where the lead story was this tragedy and the mindless idiots showed the full video again.

WTF are they thinking?
NBC just showed it about six times in slow-mo. Brutal.

One Dart

Feb 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Can't believe that CTV was showing it pre-opening ceremonies. Not the best introduction to what was a pretty good show. If it were a Canadian sadly, I don't think this would have been replayed over and over. RIP.

ghouse

May 30, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
No one would have blamed them if they had gone home, except for maybe the African Football Federation...who by the way, suspended the Togo national team for two years (after they pulled out from the African Nations Cup after their team bus was machine-gunned killing 3) and basically called them cowards for doing it:(:(:( Unbelievable!!!:(

Actually they were suspended because of government interference.
The Togo team said they wanted to stay ,but the Togo Government ordered them home.
I still agree that its a stupid ruleing. But when you start to give terrorists what they want you are actually doing the wrong thing. Togo should have stayed and played. This just opens the door for more terrorist attacks because they believe they can succeed.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts