Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How to Leave an SPL team for Metro in Another Club

• Thread starter Deleted member 8708
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 8708

Is it possible for a kid to leave their SPL team in April in order to attend Metro tryouts with the hope of making a Metro team in another club? What would be the proper procedure for doing so? Also, can the player expect to get a refund on the portion of the SPL season not yet played? His reason for wanting to leave are the no-other-sorts-allowed SPL policy and a desire to concentrate more on academics as he starts high school next fall.

Reds-16

Nov 26, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
Its been a long time since I played youth, but can you not play for any team you wish?? If you make the team that is?!

ThiKu

Nov 14, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Transfer rules are pretty well stated on the BCSPL web site.

Can't imagine a refund would be in order. They committed to you, just as you committed to them.

D

Deleted member 8708

Transfer rules are pretty well stated on the BCSPL web site.

Can't imagine a refund would be in order. They committed to you, just as you committed to them.

In a sense that is true. However, apparently a BCSPL coach can cut a player any time her chooses (this may be limited to the first phase which is Feb. to end of June) for sub performance. Whats more, the SPL season is not the same as Metro, which means that a player who plays the entire SPL season and then chooses to leave will be without a team from Jan to April. So, I think it is only fair that an SPL player should be able to leave a team if it is not working out for him and be entitled to a refund for the portion of the season not played.

ThiKu

Nov 14, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
In a sense that is true. However, apparently a BCSPL coach can cut a player any time her chooses (this may be limited to the first phase which is Feb. to end of June) for sub performance. Whats more, the SPL season is not the same as Metro, which means that a player who plays the entire SPL season and then chooses to leave will be without a team from Jan to April. So, I think it is only fair that an SPL player should be able to leave a team if it is not working out for him and be entitled to a refund for the portion of the season not played.

Can cut a player any time? I will ask my buddy who is a coach in the league. I don't see that in the rules anywhere that it is or isn't allowed (though I didn't read them all that closely).

I would suggest this. Be honest with the BCSPL coach. Tell them you plan to leave the team at the end of Phase 1. Tell them you are trying out for a metro team but obviously can't sign-on for that team until Phase 1 is over. Tell the MSL team you are currently part of a BCSPL team and leaving it at the end of Phase 1. Give the MSL and the BCSPL coach their emails. Keeps everyone working together and no one can be upset about lack of clarity.

The BCSPL season ends November, at which time a player can transfer to any team they like. The transfer deadline is January 15(ish) for Metro-Select and down to lower levels (as per District 5 rules - not sure what District 4 rules are, or what Lower Island rules are). The issue is if the MSL team they wish to join, or the lower level team they wish to join actually has space. Worst case scenario - a BCSPL player leaves BCSPL in November. Their team of choice at lower level is full. They then would be without a team until the following September (almost 10 months) if there was no other lower team available. That should happen rarely in the GVRD as each district has a lot of gold teams. And playing a few months (Dec-Jan-Feb - and if winning then in coastal cup) Gold won't do anyone any harm then trying out for and making a metro team for the following season.

D

Deleted member 8708

Can cut a player any time? I will ask my buddy who is a coach in the league. I don't see that in the rules anywhere that it is or isn't allowed (though I didn't read them all that closely).

I would suggest this. Be honest with the BCSPL coach. Tell them you plan to leave the team at the end of Phase 1. Tell them you are trying out for a metro team but obviously can't sign-on for that team until Phase 1 is over. Tell the MSL team you are currently part of a BCSPL team and leaving it at the end of Phase 1. Give the MSL and the BCSPL coach their emails. Keeps everyone working together and no one can be upset about lack of clarity.

The BCSPL season ends November, at which time a player can transfer to any team they like. The transfer deadline is January 15(ish) for Metro-Select and down to lower levels (as per District 5 rules - not sure what District 4 rules are, or what Lower Island rules are). The issue is if the MSL team they wish to join, or the lower level team they wish to join actually has space. Worst case scenario - a BCSPL player leaves BCSPL in November. Their team of choice at lower level is full. They then would be without a team until the following September (almost 10 months) if there was no other lower team available. That should happen rarely in the GVRD as each district has a lot of gold teams. And playing a few months (Dec-Jan-Feb - and if winning then in coastal cup) Gold won't do anyone any harm then trying out for and making a metro team for the following season.

ThiKu

Nov 14, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hope it works out for you. There is no one single way to navigate youth soccer (sports) in BC. Every family has different needs and expectations.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Can we get back to some sarcasm?
Soon.

turningofthetide, in case you missed orientation, this is an adult-focused site with an attitude representative of its name. Freddy did answer your question.

The January 15th deadline is a BC Soccer one, not a league one. BTW, the names of the leagues are "4 District" and "5 District," not "District 4" and "District 5." They represent the number of districts in each league, not where they are.

Back to our regularly-scheduled program of abuse and sarcasm...

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0