Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Nationals Inter at Nationals 2017

BC Teams @ Nationals

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
NS 2-1 BC FT

Inter are eliminated from final contention. Saskatchewan or Nova Scotia will play for gold.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
At this rate, TTP will never shut down if we wait for another BC National Champion :(

full

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wow Newfoundland 1-0 over Alberta. Alberta go from Edmonton Scottish winning the title last season to Calgary Callies finishing on 0 points from 4 games and they will play on Monday to not finish last. Almost certainly they will be playing Yukon and surely they should win that one at a walk, but still to fall from first to ninth is pretty shocking.

Discipline was again an issue for Alberta, lots of heavy mis-timed tackles and poor reactions to fouls against. Lots of afters and muscle flexing. It was 0-0 most of the way in a game that lacked the pace and quality on display at the neighbouring field between Nova Scotia and BC. Newfoundland looked to have scored went the ball went off the inside of the post and rolled across the goal line. It never crossed the line though, and when a player did slam it home eventually, he was ruled offside. That was really it until a late chance for Alberta with a free header from six yards. The ball was well placed and the Newfy keeper reacted spectacularly at full stretch to make a great save. He is easily Newfoundland's best player from what I've seen this week. Within minutes Newfoundland got there winner on a textbook penalty. The Alberta centreback took a risk by sliding to block the shot and when you do that you are responsible for your arms/hands. You could tell this game meant more to Newfoundland than Alberta who appeared to lack belief and confidence; they looked like a team who expected much more of themselves but just felt that everything that could possibly go against them was going against them. Case in point when they had a very late odd man break with a chance to tie the game and they completely bottled it. Just not their week.

Saw a bit of the women's game between BC and Newfoundland. Not a lot to choose between the two teams in the first half, as it was pretty even. Newfoundland's keeper on the women's side looks pretty weak though and that might be the difference. Felt she really should have done better on the Surrey goal that just rolled in to her left and then she almost gift them another when she made a meal of a cross. Always a tell tale sign when the goalie can't take her own kicks... Anyway it was still 1-0 in the second half when I left, but Surrey had taken over the game at this point.

Would have loved to be able to stay around for the big one this afternoon between Manitoba and Quebec, hoping someone from TTP land is there to give us the low down!

Reactions: GoF

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wow Newfoundland 1-0 over Alberta. Alberta go from Edmonton Scottish winning the title last season to Calgary Callies finishing on 0 points from 4 games and they will play on Monday to not finish last. Almost certainly they will be playing Yukon and surely they should win that one at a walk, but still to fall from first to ninth is pretty shocking.

Discipline was again an issue for Alberta, lots of heavy mis-timed tackles and poor reactions to fouls against. Lots of afters and muscle flexing. It was 0-0 most of the way in a game that lacked the pace and quality on display at the neighbouring field between Nova Scotia and BC. Newfoundland looked to have scored went the ball went off the inside of the post and rolled across the goal line. It never crossed the line though, and when a player did slam it home eventually, he was ruled offside. That was really it until a late chance for Alberta with a free header from six yards. The ball was well placed and the Newfy keeper reacted spectacularly at full stretch to make a great save. He is easily Newfoundland's best player from what I've seen this week. Within minutes Newfoundland got there winner on a textbook penalty. The Alberta centreback took a risk by sliding to block the shot and when you do that you are responsible for your arms/hands. You could tell this game meant more to Newfoundland than Alberta who appeared to lack belief and confidence; they looked like a team who expected much more of themselves but just felt that everything that could possibly go against them was going against them. Case in point when they had a very late odd man break with a chance to tie the game and they completely bottled it. Just not their week.

Saw a bit of the women's game between BC and Newfoundland. Not a lot to choose between the two teams in the first half, as it was pretty even. Newfoundland's keeper on the women's side looks pretty weak though and that might be the difference. Felt she really should have done better on the Surrey goal that just rolled in to her left and then she almost gift them another when she made a meal of a cross. Always a tell tale sign when the goalie can't take her own kicks... Anyway it was still 1-0 in the second half when I left, but Surrey had taken over the game at this point.

Would have loved to be able to stay around for the big one this afternoon between Manitoba and Quebec, hoping someone from TTP land is there to give us the low down!

Thanks for the mention about Surrey United women Canucks4Ever. We win tomorrow, we win Gold. We lose, we still have a shot at Gold depending what happens between NFLD and Alberta on Monday. We are guaranteed Silver but the SU women want more. Won't say more until after tourney is finished. But very very proud of these players. I have never seen a team go through what we have with injuries to so many critical players.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Nova Scotia v Manitoba in the final tomorrow. I'm willing to bet this is the first time that match up has been the gold medal game at the Men's National Championship.

Surrey drew Alberta today and will now await their fate as Alberta play Newfoundland tomorrow in the world's most anticlimactic tournament finale since World Cup 1950 when they also had a round robin seeding phase... Alberta need to score two goals and win to be crowned champions, any slip up and Surrey get gold. A 1-0 though, if I have interpreted the rules correctly, should mean a shoot-out between them and Surrey which would be truly bizarre way to decide a champion, given that Surrey would be totally cold while Alberta would have just finished playing. Presumably the Surrey ladies would just prefer Newfoundland to really be keen on finishing second!

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
1-0 NS at half time in the final. Fairly even game and it's evident these two teams are playing their fifth game in six days.

Elsewhere Alberta did in fact win a game, skating past Yukon 4-0 to avoid finishing last and Newfoundland gave way more effort than New Brunswick, turning on the style to win 6-1. Inter needed penalties to finish fifth over Quebec in a game that it was clear the BC boys had no interest in playing in and Ontario took home a medal, winning bronze 3-1 over Saskatchewan.

On the ladies side Alberta beat Newfoundland 3-0 to claim gold on goal difference. How exciting... CSA must surely reevaluate this format ahead of next season.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
NS 1-0 MB FT

Congratulations to Nova Scotia who become National Champions for only the second time.

As for the second half, Nova Scotia defended well and that's about the best that can be said about it. A few half chances either way but mostly it was Manitoba with possession and Nova Scotia scrambling away their attacks.

PV

Jul 28, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
NS 1-0 MB FT
Congratulations to Nova Scotia who become National Champions for only the second time.
As for the second half, Nova Scotia defended well and that's about the best that can be said about it. A few half chances either way but mostly it was Manitoba with possession and Nova Scotia scrambling away their attacks.

Nova Scotia defended well, coached by Alan Jazic. Halifax had 2 spanish speaking brothers, named Cordoba. The #10 brother played striker and was always hard to stop, built like a fire hydrant and with plenty of ball control skill. He scored the winning goal against BC on a bicycle kick from 10 yards out.
Manitoba was coached by Tony Nocita who played for Winnipeg when they beat the the 86ers for the CPSL title 20 years ago.
Both teams were playing their 5th 90 minute game in 6 days. The fact they could still field 11 players was an accomplishment all by itself.
The attendance for the mens final was good, but otherwise attendance at the event was poor, even when BC teams were playing.

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sorry for late reply but TTP log in only worked on Safari instead of Chrome.

SU Women take the Silver. Bitter sweet. I did not enjoy watching NFLD game tactics vs Edmonton on the Monday. To me, their tactics were goofy and seemed like they set themselves up to always be playing undermanned. This is not a way to decide a National Champion. The CSA always have a reason for their decisions, and surprisingly some good reasons that many wouldn't think of. But this one was wrong. Having said that, we are ultimately responsible because we drew Edmonton instead of beating them knowing we could be in such a scenario.

To win a National Championship, a team must be disciplined and vested. A team will not win unless players hold themselves accountable and do not want to disappoint their teammates. My players took that very seriously. We were missing so many (6) impact players due to injury and one was away winning a National Gold with her SU youth team as coach. But everyone stepped up and carried on in great fashion showing that great teams must always work on parity in depth.

One of our most impactful players is the captain at the University of Calgary. I want to applaud Coach Troye Flannery who allowed her to attend Nationals with us. Believe me all, this is not the norm. My players sent him a video thank you.

BC Soccer and CCB put on a great tourney. It was very well organized. It was a great experience but the Silver makes me more determined to be back again next year and get that Gold.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts