Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Is Stevie Y done?

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
DETROIT (AP) Red Wings captain Steve Yzerman, using crutches as he recovers from knee surgery, says he won't return to the NHL if he's unable to overcome the intense pain from the injury.

Yzerman, 37, underwent knee surgery last Friday. The operation to correct the alignment of the right knee, performed by Dr. Peter Fowler of London, Ont., was said to be a success.

Yzerman chose the realignment procedure rather than reconstruction of the knee. He led the Red Wings to the Stanley Cup title despite the injury.

``The approach I have is, take the steps, do the rehab, see how it feels,'' Yzerman told the Detroit News.

Yzerman acknowledged that it was possible he had played his last NHL game but remains committed to making a comeback.

``I'm concerned, but I'm not spending a lot of time worrying about it,'' he said. ``We did this with the idea of skating and not hurting any more, and there's a chance that won't happen. We really don't know how I'm going to feel, but I'm not going to sit around and think negatively.''

Yzerman first injured the knee 14 years ago.

In the operation, Fowler sawed one of the two long bones in Yzerman's lower right leg, the tibia, nearly in half. The doctor then realigned the joint by wedging in donor bone.

Asked who donated the bone filler, Yzerman joked that it came from famed racehorse Affirmed.

``So I guess I'll be eating hay in the locker-room from now on,'' he said.

It was the third knee operation for Yzerman in two years.

``I know (the surgery) doesn't guarantee me anything,'' he said. ``But I had to do something, whether I wanted to play or not. I couldn't run or swim or even start training.

``I want to play, but I accept the fact that if it hurts too much, you get to the point where it doesn't make sense. If I get to that point, I won't play. Common sense would take over.''

The team has said Yzerman would not be expected to return before November.
Talk about losing one of the leagues good guys. Steve Yzerman is the class of the league. It's too bad there weren't many other players with skill and class as him. Let's hope he comes back to play a couple more years.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
TR,

I agree with the class shout... if he can't make it back, who will fill that role in the Wings lineup?

Shanahan? Hull? :rolleyes:

On the otherhand, this is good news for the Canucks as the Wings are now a possible target for them to overtake in the playoff hunt :rolleyes:

~Regs.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The operation to correct the alignment of the right knee, performed by Dr. Peter Fowler of London, Ont.
I wonder if he had to wait in line like everybody else. Preferential treatment, me thinks . . . :rolleyes:

Just another message from your friendly neighbourhood left-wing pinko.

striker14

Jul 29, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Stevie Y done?

Say it ain't so!!!! I don't think he is done...considering he played us (the Canucks) hurt and STILL KICKED OUR ASSES...I wouldn't say he is done. Look at Marcus Naslund's come back from a nasty break in his leg.
I still say Stevie Y has one good year left in him...

Detroit is going down this year!!

noscottynoshot

ParkHead

May 27, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Stevie Y

Stevie Y should call it quits, follow his coach and leave on top. I mean last year he showed he is still one the the best. Gold medal and Stanley cup, can't beat that. They are simply to old to win it again. Just means Cujo still want get his cup.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0