Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

John Herdman Appointed Canada MNT Coach

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hey John, you only have access to these players a handful of times per year.

Good luck with the culture thing.

Study the way they played the last 7 games? You mean when OZ got us all excited for the future?

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
How is HerdWoman gonna prepare them for the games in Central America?

Line them up on East Hastings and have strangers come by and throw piss jugs and batteries at them while they stand there with a fan blowing out heat on a rainy summer day?

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
How is HerdWoman gonna prepare them for the games in Central America?

Line them up on East Hastings and have strangers come by and throw piss jugs and batteries at them while they stand there with a fan blowing out heat on a rainy summer day?

So good!

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well If Morroco gets the 2026 WC like its starting to sound I think Herdman's plan to qualify will need to change

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hes an idiot. Next thing you will hear is he will do an "environmental scan" phrases like that always signs of waay over your head...

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Always nice to get a soft toss, internally coordinated publicity interview in... "John, if I could ask you the exact question that you have prepared a response for that fits precisely with the message our organization is putting out at large..." #Propaganda

So I have tried to step back a little bit from this one and see if I can give John/CSA etc. the benefit of the doubt. It is definitely a struggle though, because we have pulled literally a 180 from an established coach with experience leading our team to its best international performances in recent memory, to a man with no experience at this level who will need to win the respect of his players and the country's soccer knowledgeable population (ie us here...for the most part that is ;))

Pros I can see are that clearly CSA has given Herdman the keys to the kingdom and full reign over the men's program which they have either been unwilling or unable to do in the past. His comment about no more coaches along the development pathway, Provincial level etc., focusing on their team or their career only at the expense of the National program at large is well taken. That is something that most of us have been crying out for, for some time now, looks like he will get a chance to do it. Another pro is, from what I have seen of John with the women's team, he is certainly willing to devote to countless hours of time required to try and advance this program and he will be working hard between windows developing and tracking players.

Cons are obvious. The experience thing just screams out at you. They way he uses buzz words like synergy and GAP analysis makes me think of a college business student talking about SWAT analyses and Product Positioning Maps; they sound nice in a presentation and even on paper, but in the real world they don't really count for much. The players are another question mark. He dropped the names Arfield, Hoillet and Atiba in the interview so presumably that means he has reached out to them and they have at least had some initial interest in being a part of his program? Has the list for the camp in March been released yet? It will be interesting to see who is on it. With the women they would kill to be invited to the camps, etc. but what happens when Hoillet or Davies decides that he would rather "focus on his club career" than be a part of John's program and "play for their legacy in a Canadian jersey?" That was never a concern with the women. Also, what kind of contacts does he have abroad to leverage opportunities for Canadian players like Davies or the other younger players who need regular, high level playing time to develop?

So many question mark and those are the answers that I would really like to hear from John. Also, I would love to know how he is responding to the majority of the enlightened soccer community in this country reacting to his appointment on a spectrum somewhere between complete outrage and skeptical at best. I will wait until the on field results start coming in to pass final judgment and who knows, maybe this will work out exactly the way the CSA is dreaming of and we will all have to admit we were wrong to be pessimistic towards his appointment. What's the line from Moneyball? If we try to play like the Yankees in the office, we will lose to the Yankees on the field? Maybe the CSA is seeing something that the soccer world at large is missing and maybe changing their approach entirely is the right decision; it's certainly tough to argue that we are abandoning a tradition of success. Still, I will believe it when I see it...

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0