Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Jones Jr vs Trinidad

ParkHead

May 27, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Too bad we didn't get this fight 5 - 10 years ago! Although in his prime I don't think anyone could stick with Jones. Jan. 19th in MSG these two veteran prize fighters will meet. Eventhough they are both past their primes I will be be tuning in to see two of the great fighters of the past 15 years. Personally I take Jones in a decsion. Which he is always good for. But if Tito can make him trade I think jones will knock him out.

In a nut shell this is the problem with boxing right now the big fights are with boxers at the end of their career!:( There does not seem to be any young fighters catching the imagination of the boxing world and especially in the heavyweight div. So for now we wait as they say for the next great hope!:rolleyes:

Eitherway I still will be watching the Jones jr. and Tito fight with interest as the two legends probably say good bye!

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
This fight would have been amazing around 2000/2001. Now, I can't even be bothered to go the bar to watch it.

I agree that the heavyweight division is lacking right now, but for me this has been the best year of boxing in recent memory. Lots of great match-ups, some of which made for very entertaining fights:

Hatton vs. Mayweather
Mayweather vs. De La Hoya
Hatton vs. Castillo
Taylor vs. Pavlik
Calzaghe vs. Kessler
Marquez vs. Vasquez (x2)
Cotto vs. Judah
Cotto vs. Mosley
Pacquiao vs. Barrera
Hopkins vs. Wright
Juan Diaz vs. Julio Diaz

ParkHead

May 27, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I agree it has been a good year for fights. I especially enjoyed the Pacman vs barrera fight! Since I was at it!:eek: There are still good fights and fighters out there, it is just boxing doesn't seem to get the mainstream attention it used to. I know there are 100's of reasons why including the UFC which I watch too. The biggest reason is though simply there is no heavyweight out there that people can hang there hat on. For me and other boxing fans there will always be big fights as we know about the fighters.

But the fans who turns in just for the big events seem to be gone. I remember going to bars and they would be packed and the atmosphere was amazin. For anyone who is a boxing fan and hasn't been to a big fight you have to. There is nothing like it in Vegas. Everyone knows there is a big fight in town and the place is unbelievable. I wish I could have been there for the Mayweather vs Hatton fight because the Hatton supporters would have had that place jumpin.

parkhead

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I've never been to Vegas for a fight ... or to any Pro fight for that matter. Although I did just get my tickets for Rumble At The Rock III. Any insight into what I should expect from this event?

ParkHead

May 27, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
The local events are usually hit and miss but because this event will be telecast on ESPN's Friday night Fights you will probably get a more professional card. Guareentee you will see atleast 1 up and coming fighter that they are trying to push. I have not seen or heard what the card looks like. The best part about local shows is there is usually a guy or two that are really tough and think they are boxers and get into the ring with a really good boxer and take a whoopin. I am sure there will be a couple of those on the undercards!

GhostRider

Jul 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
i was in vegas last weekend during mayweather vs. hatton and it set the city on fire. i dont' follow boxing but couldn't help getting sucked into the hype around this fight and it has definitely made me more interested in upcoming fights too. i read that 20,000 brits travelled to vegas for this fight and i believe it: they were everywhere. they are definitely the best fight fans out there. the promoters did a fantastic job and the fighters delivered. i have to agree with you guys that there is a lot of potential out there for this sport but its not being packaged right.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
The biggest hurdle I see is the different sanctioning bodies... WBC, WBA, IBF, WBO, IBO, etc.
It leads to an alphabet soup of championships and confuses the hell out of the casual fan.

As for the River Rock thing, Dominic Guinn is the main event. He was supposed to fight some 26-0 guy, but he got injured in training. Now he's up against a 250lbs Frenchman.

ParkHead

May 27, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
As I stated earlier anyone who hasn't been to a fight or Vegas when there is a big fight needs too! I have friends who hated boxing but after they went and experienced the atmosphere are huge fans now. Ghostrider you are not alone. But being there for that fight must have been somethin! If only Jones and trinidad were in vegas because I could make that happen but to fly to NY is little to far. I could get to vegas and back quickly without the missus even noticing!:rolleyes: But not NY.

Parkhead

dr.j

Sep 16, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I might be there too Dezza. There is always an atmosphere when attending any slate of fights. Check out the local gold gloves tournaments. There are usually some great tilts to be seen and it does not cost much to attend. Just remember that testosterone is high at these events. How can it not be. There is always someone who ends up in a situation bcause they were talking when they should have been listening.
As concerns the heavyweight division, I have not paid much attention since probably Tyson. The fights are always slow plodding affairs. The lower weight classes are where it is at. Think of most of the great fights of the last twenty years. They were almost all in the lower divisions. Hearns,Hagler,Leonard, Barerra, Tito, De La Hoya, etc..
The higher divisions have been hyped more, but the lower weight classes have all the value.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
bang on dr. j. unfortunately the heavys draw the crowds and the hype, and the $$Bling$$ therefore the game suffers immensely until they start hyping the truly good bouts...

dr.j

Sep 16, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Of course that approach has been changing the last few years vis a vis the american broadcasters primarily because it has been some time since there has been a decent American contender/champion. It seems that it is too difficult for the "USA! " USA!" networks to hype a Ukrainian, Russian, Khazakh etc... when promoting a fight. The most recent heavyweight title fights have been staged in Europe lately. By the way. Nice left hook by Mayweather against Hatton. Of course it was only a matter of time, given the way Hatton would never bob or weave his head when coming in. Even though Mayweather started lifting his left elbow up to slow Hatton's lunging, Hatton never changed his approach. A lot of that must fall on the shoulders of his trainers. Plus his legs would always spread too far apart when he was ready to throw a hook. Way too predictable.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts