Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Keeper's Battle

Kevin Hector

Apr 9, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I only knew Keeper from TTP. and this hits me hard becasue I only just lost my Dad to Cancer just over a year ago(in his liver as well). I honstly started to cry reading these posts and I'm having a tough time typing this. I pray that God will keep Marcus's family strong during these tough times. always remember the good time you all had with him. the memories will never die. sorry i'm losing it right now.....

number2

Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Vancouver Sun

Marcus Dressel

Marcus Dressel born 1970, passed away November 7, 2007 after a courageous battle with cancer. Marcus is survived by his wife Kristina (nee Stuart), daughter Katelyn, parents Irma and Fritz and sister Barbara and brother Robert. Marcus had a joy of life which he expressed most often in his passion for soccer. Born and raised in Vancouver's Dunbar area, Marcus recently became a teacher in the New Westminster School District. Marcus had many talents, interests and friends who along with his family will miss him greatly. A memorial service will be held at Oakridge Lutheran Church (Cambie and 41st) on November 17 at 1pm. In lieu of flowers Marcus wished for donations to be directed to Katelyn's Registered Education Fund.
Published in the Vancouver Sun and/or The Province on 11/10/2007.

If you are planning to attend Marcus' memorial, and please feel welcome to, would you be so kind as to let me know. We are trying to plan for numbers and not suprisingly we expect many friends.

Thank you,
Rob

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Unexpected and Unbelievable. Although there were very few times i met Keeper, i learned enough about him from those meetings, and here on TTP, that he was a greatly respected man, and well liked and loved by everyone.

Truly a sad time for family and the soccer community.

My best wishes go out to Marcus and his family from the Yoda's

You will not be forgotten
Darin

Mr. Rempa

Jul 26, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
number2 said:
If you are planning to attend Marcus' memorial, and please feel welcome to, would you be so kind as to let me know. We are trying to plan for numbers and not suprisingly we expect many friends.

I will be there...

Rempa

number2

Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
From my sister to all of you. The comments have been so welcomed and appreciated. She wanted to give something back to you all.

Photos of Marcus

Some of them are truely Marcus. Like the one of him photographing the Air Hockey game. Too funny.

Notcher

Sep 21, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Stunning photos...a real cross section of his life. Well done.
Sad to see him sick but brilliant to see him still smiling.
Love the b/w circa 1977

GhostRider

Jul 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I believe some men are chosen to make an impact on this world beyond what is expected of one man. It is these men that leave the world in a better way than how they found it, despite the rest of us. Marcus was one of these few men. I would need to live 200 years to leave the impression that Marcus has left in his short 37.

I can't help but compare the tragic trajectory of his life with the lives of the other heroic men and women we are remembering this weekend. I think I will warmly include Marcus in my thoughts on every November 11th.

Marcus took quite a few photos (probably the best ones) of Croatia SC players on the pitch and graciously let us use them on our website. Also, I asked him for tips on how to take better photos and he selflessly divulged a few of his photo secrets. He will be missed by many of us.

"Neka mu je laka zemlja" (May his earth be soft)

Milan Luketic
Secretary, Croatia Sports Club

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
When Peter Stannard first posted this thread I recall thinking how tough a battle Marcus was about to face and so very much hoped and wished for the best for him.

It is interesting that the Westside guys and all who knew Marcus seem to be saying the same thing which speaks volumes about the quality of the person he was and how much he did for others. It is pretty clear that he should be remembered as a truly decent, good person who did his best in all he did as I am sure he did in the fight to defeat his illness. I guess if there is any comfort to be had in this sad situation, it is that so many feel so strongly that he was a good and decent guy who always did his best no matter what. I am pretty sure he did he his best in this fight with his illness. He struck me as that kind of guy.

Although I mostly just knew Marcus just from this site and his posts I always felt that I knew a lot about him from his family to education and work, sports and leisure times. When he moved to Coquitlam it left me thinking how much I'd miss reading the Cornwall Times.

It is never easy to lose someone but it is far tougher when it is someone so young and with such a new, young family. My heartfelt condolences to Kristina and Katelyn and the families and friends for this sad, sad loss.

Greg Basham

oachris

Sep 27, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Participating in the local soccer community exposes one to many positive and rewarding experiences. Having the good fortune to meet and play with good people like Marcus and Kristina ranks right up there with the best.
My heartfelt condolences to their families......

Chris Melanidis

SOULHALO

May 7, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I just heard about this last night & quite frankly I am still stunned. Twice stunned, by his illness & his passing.
Sadly, I had lost touch with many in my circle of friends as I had not played or been on here in over a year. And therein lies a real lesson/reminder for me: don't get so wrapped up in the 'busy'ness of life that you stray from its true meaning.

Marcus was many things to many people which is quite evident from the posts above & they are a real testament to him as a human being. What stood out for me, from the time I met him at Westside about 10 years ago, was that he had a gift, a gift that made one feel genuinely welcome in his presence. I'll always remember him with that distinct smile on his face.

My deepest condolences to his family & friends. I hope to be at the service & I will pass this on to his friends in the Greek League. If I know of more intending to attend I will pm you Rob.

Thomas

peter

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
On the day before Marcus' Memorial Service I just thought I'd give this thread a bump to bring thoughts of Marcus to the forefront.

Man, did he ever love the game!

number2

Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Thanks Peter,

Did he ever love it. Kristina, myself and couple Marcus' closest friends have spend a couple of days this week preparing a slide show of Marcus to be shown at his service tomorrow. Judging by the number of photos we had to go through and how many of them were soccer related, I don't think even I appreciated the magnitude of his passion for the sport. What a competitor!

Marcus, I'll miss you.

Chub Rub

Nov 13, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Marcus had such an amazing smile and laugh and a fantastic sense of humour. He was so approachable and genuine. His creativity was top notch. His generosity was extremely appreciated. He was so handsome. His wife and daughter are so beautiful. He has left all of us many gifts and I take his gifts with so much gratitude.

To Marcus's family; My most heartfelt thank you for sharing Marcus with us and sincerest condolences for your loss. Marcus improved the lives of so many people.

To Marcus; I still see your smile and hear your laugh. The 1st five words that come to my mind when thinking of you are fun, awesome, giving, McDonalds, talented. You'll be deeply missed.

To all friends; Please consider how you can thank Marcus for the thousands of hours he volunteered to help others. I encourage you to donate to Katelyn's education fund. Give your loved ones a hug today.

Cheryl Jolly-Davies

dr.j

Sep 16, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Most of the Knights are planning to meet for brunch at the White Spot across the street in Oakridge mall at about 11am. Of course all are welcome to join us.
Jay Mearns

number2

Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It was a true tribute to Marcus' memory to see so many TTPers present at the memorial service yesterday. I know those of you who couldn't be there, were there in spirit. I know my family were really touched by the sheer number of soccer faces in the crowd (and a few ladies even mentioned the "hot guy" factor!) - and the Oakridge Lutheran Church had never been fuller - estimate 300+ friends and family. Marcus would appreciate all who were there to respect his memory - and to carry on his stories and legacy with the soccer community and family. Again, his family thanks you all for your support - both in your web messages and in person.

Thank-you.
Rob (number2) and Shannon Dressel

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The service certainly had a few moments where I found myself choking back a tear or two...

Here is what an insert in the service 'program' said:

keeper said:
Marcus' thoughts after Katie's birth April 2007

During the days immediately following Katelyn's birth, I was astounded by the display of love and affection by so many friends and family. And thoughout that time, I often replayed in my mind's eye the event that transpired and found myself sleepless thinking over and over of all the possibilities and permutations of what could have gone awry, but didn't.

But what if any one of those misfortunes has occurred? Katelyn might not have been breathing; Kristina might have slipped and fallen, hitting her head on the bathtub; or too much blood might have been lost. In short, a tragedy instead of a miracle might have occurred.

And this made me think of all I might have lost. Or, rather, all I have now.

I love my life.

I am the happiest I've ever been, and it is all thanks to you. Please let me thank you for sharing your love and support to Kristina, Katelyn and I through your calls, cards, emails, and gifts. You have been so generous to us and it is important to me that I may express my gratitude, love and affection for you in turn.

M.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wow. A brilliant last post there Keeper. Sounds like it was a great service.

~Choking back a tear...

Monk

Nov 10, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I played quite a few years with Marcus, starting with the Knights, then Bimini's which became WFC Rangers.

Top Six Keeper Soccer Memories(off the top of my head):

6) He once passed a kidney stone during halftime of a game, and came back for the second half. He finished with a clean sheet if I recall correctly.

5) He once stopped three out of five penalty shots in a shoot-out in a cup game, but we still didn't win.

4) He once had his finger compound dislocated in warm-up before a big match against Clan, but played the entire 90 minutes because we didn't have a back-up on hand.

3) He had a propensity for shouting, "Keeper... Away!"

2) The one goal I never let him forget was when he was scored on from 60 yards during a co-rec game. A opposing player was fouled 10 yards from the centre line in her own half. She played a long looping ball forward which Keeper charged out to collect. As there was no one running on the ball, he decided to let the ball bounce before collecting it. He started to back pedal, slipped, and waved futilely as the ball bounced just over him and rolled into the net.

1) Kristina running and jumping into Marcus's arms after slotting one past him during a memorable Westside 7-aside tourney.

Marcus will be missed by many. I know I will seldom step onto a pitch without remembering him.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
RIP Marcus. You were a great human being....

At this time, I want to wish Marcus' family all the best during this holiday season. It is going to be very difficult but do try your best to remember all the good times. I know it may not seem like much but it certainly helped me when I lost my father 5.5 years ago. You will never forget him and nor should you. Keep him close to your hearts and he will always be there for you.

YNWA

Stephen

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0