Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

lance back to triathlon

Tim Berners-Lee

Aug 29, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Lance Armstrong to race in the 2011 Ironman World Championships

Seven-time Tour de France winner Lance Armstrong has set himself a new challenge with plans to compete for his first time in the gruelling Ironman World Championships in 2011.

In a video posted on EveryManTri.com, his coach Chris Carmichael said: “2011, [Lance Armstrong] will be here. He’s super psyched and I think he wants to do more than win his age group.”

A swimmer as a child and promising national-level triathlete in his late teens, Armstrong has also run in marathons, so he has the background to be competitive in Hawaii. The demanding event sees participants swim 3.8 km before hopping onto a bike for a 180km ride and then on foot for a marathon 42.4km run. According to the Ironman website each athlete will train for 7 months for up to 22 hours per week in preparation.

Armstrong’s story is one of sheer determination and courage. In 1997 the cyclist was diagnosed with stage III testicular cancer; it had already spread to his lungs, brain and abdomen and he also had a tumor in his testicle. Despite beginning treatment and having hemotherapy immediately, his prognosis was poor with doctors saying his chance of survival was 50 percent.

After being cured of cancer, Armstrong went on to win the Tour de France seven years in a row after going into remission, from 1999 to 2005. He retired from the profession of bicycle racing in 2005 after his seventh win, but made a comeback to the sport in 2009. Sheryl Crow , who dated Armstrong for a while, also fell victim to cancer. She beat her breast cancer to go onto raise awareness and funds for cancer research.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Back in the day he was a helluva swimmer at the sprint and Olympic distances, and he's a lot lighter now than he was when he was ripping it up as a young pro on the USTS circuit. Can he pull in w/ the top pros, not likely, but inside 5 minutes for sure. Obviously a threat for fastest bike split and possibly coming off the bike in top position. Likely the marathon will be his weak event...can't see him breaking 2:45 or even 3, but who knows...the guy has the chops to get the training covered off, and it's not like he goes in w/ no base.

It'll be like when John Howard raced way back in the day...I think he won in '82 or '84 with a blistering ride, but back then there weren't pro triathletes, just guys who could do all three reasonably fast.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm excited to see what he can pull off.

I haven't watched an Ironman years, mainly because there are no great personalities in it anymore. The level of athleticism has gotten stupidly high, but trathletes aren't exactly dynamic personalities, outside Whitfield. Back in the day, Scott vs. Allen was great drama, and Scott Molina handing Mike Pigg his head on a platter was good too. Now? Meh.

bandcamp

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Terrence Cutler: There's something you need to know, Kenny. You're not the only athlete here at Jeff Davis. I happen to be training for a Triathlon right now. Doin' a lot of running, and cycling, swimming. Well you know all about that.

Kenny Powers: No actually I don't. I do SPORTS. Not try to be the best at exercising.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0