Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Leafs fire Carlyle

STD

May 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I believe MLSE rented the Air Canada Centre out to a three ring circus from the middle of April on and they were worried the Leafs may have complicated things by making the playoffs. On a side note I hear things aren't to rosy in Boston these days.

STD

May 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sadly I agree but he is still going to be stuck with Kessel and Phanuef for the long term. He will get a two year grace period then the media will run him out of town.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
No other coach can go into TO w/ both Stanley Cup and Olympic Campionship rings. Those are two reasons both of those players may change their ways for Babcock. Secondly, I doubt he'd go in w/ out having some sort of assurances / say in player personnel.

Franchise...I think this move was, as much as anything, about agknowledging the Leafs aren't going to have a good year, to cut their losses now, while at the same time send a veiled message. They've always wanted Babcock, and he's currently in danger of re-signing in Detroit. This firing sends a clear message to him that their vault is open.

The Franchise

Lifetime Better Bastard
TTP Bookie Staff
Sep 7, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
No other coach can go into TO w/ both Stanley Cup and Olympic Campionship rings. Those are two reasons both of those players may change their ways for Babcock. Secondly, I doubt he'd go in w/ out having some sort of assurances / say in player personnel.

Franchise...I think this move was, as much as anything, about agknowledging the Leafs aren't going to have a good year, to cut their losses now, while at the same time send a veiled message. They've always wanted Babcock, and he's currently in danger of re-signing in Detroit. This firing sends a clear message to him that their vault is open.

Why do you think Caryle was only extended 1 year? He was going to be let go at end of year anyways, they are waiting till Babcock is free.

The Franchise

Lifetime Better Bastard
TTP Bookie Staff
Sep 7, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Some of you listen to sportsnet and team 1040 to much. Kessel and Phaneuf are the issues? Really?

Sloppy Seconds is a good defence man just not a #1 pair d guy. Their core in the back is way to young. There forwards matchup with any team in this league!

STD

May 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Not just 1040 pretty much any sports radio and tv station in the country. There is a reason Boston and Calgary were willing to trade away the two players Toronto has tried to build there team around. Ex coaches are saying the same thing and I know they have an ax to grind but they usually do not say anything in these cases. Even Shanahan is putting the question out there, probably to let Babcock know the core players are not untouchable but how trade able are they. Yeah both player are decent players but when one is your captain and the other is suppose to be a leader you are going to have problems, especially in that market.

The big question comes down to if Babcock want to accept the challenge or is he comfortable in Detroit.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Why do you think Caryle was only extended 1 year? He was going to be let go at end of year anyways, they are waiting till Babcock is free.

Eaxactly.

I think it was easy, TBH. Any coach they would bring in would be a lame duck, but at least Carlyle has won before, and who knows, would either get them to the dance, or tank the season. I think that is was a way to kill a year w/ as little collateral damage as possible.

As for Team 1040...I try not to put any stock into the morning show, and that's mostly the only time I can listen.

I think a good coach can get most players to play ball, if at the end of the Rainbow is a winning formula. As much as those two seem to be douchebags, they can't possibly measure up to the level of douchebagdom as one Ryan Kessler, and I'd argue that you'd want either one of them ahead of Kessler on your squad. And he was in demand, wasn't he?

STD

May 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Kesler had a 5 million dollar cap hit for 2 years and is viewed rightly or wrongly as big game and playoff performer. Nashville series.

Phaneuf has a 7 million dollar cap hit for seven more years and is viewed as a poor leader. Kessel has an 8 million dollar cap hit for even longer and is viewed as a coach killer.In the words of Luongo their contracts suck. Somebody probably would take a chance on them but there is no way you can say they had more trade value than Kesler. The only thing that hurt Kesler's trade value besides being a douche and injury prone was limiting the Canucks to one team.

STD

May 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Not saying there aren't any teams willing to pay him that much just not the teams interested in winning. :)

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It'd be easy enough to label Kessler a coach killer, too. Vignault could argue RK stabbed a knife in his back, and he was an absolute cancer for Torts.

Of curse he had more value...just saying, on a team, in a room, those two probably aren't as bad as mainstream media is portraying them. Kessler on the other hand dicks his mate's wife.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0