Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Lets help the Southsiders

bergamascho

Nov 16, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think we've proven our point. Now take that back with you as a warning to your mob of hooligans blue and white.. before you try messing with us again remember sid is lurking.

Jeez...now I'm scared...He's like the boogeyman or something... :eek:

downtown

Dec 2, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Coming in from the beautiful people's section of 210, could not always hear the Southsiders in Empire, but they have stood out better at BC Place as they are seated closer. Missed last game, will be there Saturday. I heard bits of this at one game in the summer, but this was something I enjoyed singing at France World Cup. It's old and commonly used, but easy for whole crowd to understand - and after its done once, you can be across the field, notice a section moving and even if the acoustics don't allow you to make out the words, you'll know what song it is. Using "Go West" via Pet Shop boys (and I think vilage people before that) - but standing and sitting - sometimes its just sang from a stand up and one verse for 10 minutes - but you need to vary it to really get crowd moving

You jump up, clap your hands and sing...
Stand up if love the Caps
Stand up if you love the Caps
Stand up - if-you-love-the-caps
Stand up if you love the caps

then sit down, clap a bit lighter sing a bit lower
Sit Down if you hate the Rapids
Sit down if you hate the rapids
sit down if you hate the rapds
sit down if you hate the rapids

Then leap to feet, screaming with first verse again. Keep it going for 10 minutes - looks great with crowd moving - and the more you go lower with sit down verse, the more you go harder when you scream the stand up verse. Easy for people beside you to feel the enthusiasm and eventually join in for the stand up verse

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Close to the end of the season - has the unofficial official Caps supporters group improved after a year?

Are they ready for the big time?

Last edited:

STD

May 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
That's not happening anytime soon in Vancouver and it has less to do with Whitecaps marketing and more to do with the Vancouver sports fan. It is impressive though. The only time we will sell out BC place for an MLS game is if we hosted a cup final between Vancouver and Beckham.

RL RCD

May 31, 2010
Tokens
Dirty Money
That's not happening anytime soon in Vancouver and it has less to do with Whitecaps marketing and more to do with the Vancouver sports fan. It is impressive though. The only time we will sell out BC place for an MLS game is if we hosted a cup final between Vancouver and Beckham.

Really? What do you think is the main difference between Seattle and Vancouver?

Let me tell you something (just heard a couple of days ago). There are so many youth teams in Lower Mainland that take their players (plus coaches, parents, relatives, etc.) to Whitecaps soccer games. So, a few days ago a youth team (a team that already attended Whitecaps soccer games a few times as a group) wanted to watch a game against Portland. The tickets they used to get in the past ($20) were sold out and they were offered to buy $30 tickets. Needless to say, the team is not going to attend that game (that is at least 40 to 50 people in that group).

I will say again that it is such a stupidity to limit the number of seats to 21,000 and then literally force your fans to buy more expensive tickets. That is not how you build a fan base! Obviously it does not have anything with Beckham!

You can walk any time to Sounders' soccer game and buy a ticket for $19.64. Any time (until they sell the last available ticket out of 66,000)! That is a huge difference between Sounders and Whitecaps. People get hooked easily when the product is solid and when the tickets are reasonably priced and easily available. Whitecaps have a solid product but their marketing department lost the opportunity to actually build a real loyal soccer fan base.

You as a season ticket holder deserve the best seats at incredibly low prices (that is how you have to start building a fan base). A walk-in fan deserves a reasonably priced ticket when he/she wants to see one, a few, or several games during the season. Add a good product and more of those walk-in fans will join the season ticket holders.

A full BC Place Stadium is a possibility but Whitecaps have to change their approach.

STD

May 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
First Seattle did limit their seating when they began and opened up more seats as the demand came in.

I was told when I was young that Vancouver as a sports town only supports teams that are in the best league available and teams that are winners. The Lions are the defending grey cup champs, they have what people say is the best team in the CFL and have a fully opened BC place and yet they are struggling to get 30 plus thousand in there. Why because it is not the NFL so people will only go in large numbers for the playoffs. The Giants for many years have been putting out a quality product on the ice and their numbers are good but they cannot sell out regularly because it is not the NHL. Canadians same thing because it is not MLB. Even the Canucks when they struggled through the Messier years couldn't sell out. How many people attend SFU or UBC games? Vancouver as a sports town is not as good as people think.

We had a mid week game against Chivas that was very important for a playoff push and we sold under 18.000 tickets. Why didn't people scramble to get tickets for this game? We are not European soccer so people have trouble supporting it on mass.

cascadesoccer

Oct 7, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
First Seattle did limit their seating when they began and opened up more seats as the demand came in.

I was told when I was young that Vancouver as a sports town only supports teams that are in the best league available and teams that are winners. The Lions are the defending grey cup champs, they have what people say is the best team in the CFL and have a fully opened BC place and yet they are struggling to get 30 plus thousand in there. Why because it is not the NFL so people will only go in large numbers for the playoffs. The Giants for many years have been putting out a quality product on the ice and their numbers are good but they cannot sell out regularly because it is not the NHL. Canadians same thing because it is not MLB. Even the Canucks when they struggled through the Messier years couldn't sell out. How many people attend SFU or UBC games? Vancouver as a sports town is not as good as people think.

We had a mid week game against Chivas that was very important for a playoff push and we sold under 18.000 tickets. Why didn't people scramble to get tickets for this game? We are not European soccer so people have trouble supporting it on mass.

And BINGO was him NAMEO

RL RCD

May 31, 2010
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dear STD & RL RCD

Can't we all just get along?

View attachment 9064

Akslop,

STD and I are obviously on the opposite sides re this issue but we both would certainly like to see 54,000 attending Whitecaps games. Obvioulsy we have different approach how to acomplish that. Whitecaps will certainly never reach Sounders' level if they keep offering to the kids $30 tickets because $20 tickets are gone (while 33,000 seats are not even being offered for sale).

STD,

Just recently I listened one of the top BC Lions executives on Team 1040. The fans had a chance to join and ask questions. One fan asked the BC Lions top guy why his season tickets doubled in price (from $400 a couple of years ago he said the price went up to $800; the same seats - if that guy was not telling the truth you can blame me for spreading the rumours).

The BC Lions guy was trying to explain something, mentioned how BC Lions are champions, etc. but he really could not answer the simple question that started with why from one of the fans.

We can hear often how BC Lions complain about the attendance even if they approach 35,000 or more. They believe they should have a full stadium all the time. Now, it is really simple - BC Lions tickets are expensive so at these prices they will never go over 40,000 unless it is a very important game. Now it is up to BC Lions to slash the ticket prices all accross and try to gain more of those casual fans who do not want to pay current prices or keep the prices at the same level and have anywhere from $26,000 to $35,000 most of time. But, I guess, BC Lions would rather try to keep this current number of season ticket holders at these prices then try to gain more supporters by lowering their current ticket prices.

I do not want to repeat myself when it comes to Whitecaps but for me it is just ridiculous to have the lowest ticket prices set at the same level as Real Madrid fans pay to watch La Liga.

Seattle did have a limited number of available seats from the start (they still do and officially they open the stadium fully for only 4 games: Vancouver, Portland, LA, not sure abou the fourth one but they will keep selling the tickets even if they sell 38,000 tickets they set for all other games). In other words they will always have $19.64 ticket available for any walk-in fan until they sell all 66,000. That is how they hook the casual fans to become season ticket holders. Now, if a walk-in fan pays $19.64 for a ticket I wonder how much is a ticket for a season ticket holder (although we obviously here deal with the different sections, etc.).

Corporate sponsorship is gone to Canucks so it is very hard for Whitecaps to fight with Canucks for the top sponsors in a hockey mad city. That is why Whitecaps have to try approach all this from the different direction.

That was my $0.02 on this issue.

STD

May 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I agree the prices probably should be a little cheaper and they did make a few adjustments to the prices for next year. For example I paid less for my season tickets for next year than I did for this year. They are also slowly correcting the pricing they mixed up behind the goals and making it all one price. It is a no brainer that lower prices will sell more tickets but it is about finding a proper balance where you don't devalue your product too far and just have the seats filled with Surrey folks;) I believe over the next few years we will see them playing with the prices a bit at a time to find the right balance. The issue with not being able to walk up and buy the cheap tickets has only been an issue for a select group of games. Seattle twice, LA and Portland, and the Portand game there still are cheap seats left just not large amounts of them. If the Whitecaps open up the entire upperbowl for the Portland game on the 21st and sold the tickets for $20 how many seats do you think they would sell? No way we will get anywhere near what they got in Seattle. Btw I had a quick look at the Seattle prices and to buy single game tickets in the upperbowl they are $30 dollars and up.

As someone who does make the commitment to pay for season tickets every year I say if they were to open up the entire stadium and have fans spread all over the stadium with large gaps everywhere except for a few games I may not be renewing my tickets. I think that holds more weight than someone saying because I could not get tickets to this game I will not buy season tickets now.

Just my shillings worth.

dutch13

Feb 5, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
You can still buy tickets for Vancouver's next game against Portland for $25.00 on ticketmaster, I suggest you do. As STD mentioned the cheapest tickets for Seattles next game is $30. I don't think pricing is the reason we are not selling out 21,000. As someone who has attended most games this season, the atmosphere has been MUCH better at games with 21,000 than those with 17,500. It makes a difference. We should keep beating this dog though. Maybe it will shite out some beckham tickets for you next season. At the very least, I think you get 2 shots at him coming here next year, maybe try buying your tickets a couple days before the game.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0