Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Masters Football: Winter or Summer?

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I am with you John. The argument is always that there aren't enough fields because of softball. Well, here is how I think it could happen. You are bang on - leave Metro soccer alone. But, change Masters for a April-October season. And here is where the fields will come from. If Masters plays then, there won't be nearly as much demand for the recreational summer league, therefore fields open up. And, as you mentioned there are also the dreaded turf fields. But, as a masters player with 2 ACL replacements, I avoid the turf at all expenses.

The logic of this is sound, and extends to the fact that as we all age, we get hurt more, and that happens in the cold, on shitty pocked up fields. Our time in the winter is better spent coaching our kids, skiing, nailing our 2nd or third wife, etc.

Don't they close a lot of the grass fields (Hastings, Ambleside come to mind) in spring and summer?

Also, the league would have to examine the CAT system and ties to teams. For example, our summer over 35s league team has 4 guys signed from our Premier team, plus several other over 35 guys who play Premier for other clubs in the VMSL (ie Delta, Indo, Sapperton, last year Columbus etc). So that would be something that needed to be sorted out too. I know that our summer league side plays at (Cside may be able to help me out here) one grass field, and two or three AT fields. For those Prem guys to play all year at a more competetive (summer) level, would be really tough on the bodies. I think a lot of guys enjoy the less intense, laid back after dinner weekday games of summer league. The we don't do well in the Western Canadians argument does not really apply here because recent BC Champs have done quite well there with a few exceptions...open is a bit different. Also family holidays etc are factors...and golf and going to the track of course.

Freddy is not the only one that has suggested summer for Masters. Thoughts?

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Here is another opinion:

So why are we ( that is the royal we as I am not playing right now ) playing at this time of the year? The league is a turf league and the rest of the country plays in the spring / summer.....so why don't we move to that time of the year as well now.......the masters that is as I don't want to get involved in the Mens / Womens open leagues......

SCK

May 2, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I have a concern of what Freddy is talking about. My oldest of three has rarely played on grass. What are these conditions going to do for our young players over the years? Think about how hard Empire was? There were lots of injuries there and many players were done by age 30 or so...
Although turf fields have improved via technology, I long to watch them play at Clinton, Willingdon or even the old Burnaby Lake fields...that is soccer. The turf game is different and I am not a fan of it. Period. They talk about how many more games on turf you can play but how many injuries are we promoting and what will happen when our kids get older?
I for one would like my boys to grow up and continue playing once they are in their forties like me.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Seriously, would you really want them to play like you?:D

Agreed that the grass would always be better, but then again, that's not reality in Burnaby any more. Personal preference is still to be able to play as hard as possible during the winter and use the summer season for beers and bbqs (wait a minute - what was the difference?).:D

Actually, there used to be a Masters Summer League based out of the Tri-Cities area in the days of the West Coast League, but it was always just a recreational summer league.

Yes, it might help to prepare teams with aspirations beyond Provincials, but we'd also have a scramble to find enough decent grass fields that aren't being used for softball, or that are but don't have gravel or dirt diamonds cut into the field.

2000 posts later and still not enough to say,

Trece

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Limited # of fields, so I say focus on getting the youth playing summers before we do. They are important to the game, we are not.

freddy

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 26, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Limited # of fields, so I say focus on getting the youth playing summers before we do. They are important to the game, we are not.

Disagree. no one is more important than . . . ME. :wa:

Let the kids figure out their own problems like we had to do. :cool:

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yeah, but it's us that have to figure out these issues for them, you know, being their parents.

I guess personally, too...I have better things to do in the summer than footy. I prefer winter for myself, but think the youth can be better served playing spring / summer.

john

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sorry my point seems to have been missed somewhat........because we are already playing on turf in the winter why not play on that same surface in June when the field is playable and not a frozen parking lot! Getting grass fields would be a bonus but not my point.....if we were playing on grass now then I would be prefer to stay as we are but because we don't get grass parks anymore lets at least play when the weather is more appropriate.

steve1234

Jan 31, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Appropriate for what? Sailing! Twat.:rolleyes:

Sorry my point seems to have been missed somewhat........because we are already playing on turf in the winter why not play on that same surface in June when the field is playable and not a frozen parking lot! Getting grass fields would be a bonus but not my point.....if we were playing on grass now then I would be prefer to stay as we are but because we don't get grass parks anymore lets at least play when the weather is more appropriate.

T-Idiot

Sep 30, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money

I believe P hopes that every summer game will be played at David Lam Park

He can just drop anchor off shore eating Chili dogs and Fromage while sipping in some Crown ......AAWWW the scene takes me back to the last scene in "Trading Places " with scream queen Jamie Lee Curtis in a Bikini .

john

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Ouch....I guess I should have seen that coming:mad: Anyways I still think that YOU are nuts playing meaningful games in December on parking lots when parks sit empty on summer nights.

Carry on........

Taxman

Sep 23, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
And tonight will be no exception

Speaking of which doesn't anyone making decisions on playing tonight have a window and access to the Weather Network ... I am really looking forward to driving out to Richmond for a 9PM start in the snow/rain .... I hope the ref makes a smart decision .. better yet - maybe the League should ? It is not like we have missed a ton of games this year..... besides we only have 11 guys with all the Christmas events:mad::mad:

Taxman

Sep 23, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
... it almost makes me want to fake a knee injury so I can spend my timein th edrive-thrus rather than going to games .... right RF ? Wah - I missed Macdonald's brerakfast time wah ..

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa.

A fat joke.

HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa.

I was going to post to let everyone know it was coming but why spoil my lunch time fishing trip?

Pussy. ;)

steve1234

Jan 31, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Speaking of which doesn't anyone making decisions on playing tonight have a window and access to the Weather Network ... I am really looking forward to driving out to Richmond for a 9PM start in the snow/rain .... I hope the ref makes a smart decision .. better yet - maybe the League should ? It is not like we have missed a ton of games this year..... besides we only have 11 guys with all the Christmas events:mad::mad:
Did you fly in from somewhere? Richmond was a balmy +2 on the night with no snow.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0