Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Mexico vs. South Africa - Offside???? Goal

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Can someone explain that ruling to me?

If you haven't heard it or seen it I'll give a brief description and then hopefully Walks, Whistleblower or Captain Shamrock can explain the rule.

The Mexicans have a free kick. It's crossed to the top of the six. The SA goalie comes out and misses badly. It falls to a Mexican on the far post. There is a SA defender on the near post. The ball is put in the net, but the goal is disallowed because the Mexican is offside.

With the SA defender on the post, how is the Mexican offside???

kurgan

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 8, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm constantly amazed by those who have played the game for years that still do not understand the laws of the game. No offense to you TheRob - you are in very good company ;)

Law 11 - Offside

Offside position
It is not an offence in itself to be in an offside position.

A player is in an offside position if:
• he is nearer to his opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent

A player is not in an offside position if:
• he is in his own half of the fi eld of play or
• he is level with the second-last opponent or
• he is level with the last two opponents

Offence
A player in an offside position is only penalised if, at the moment the ball
touches or is played by one of his team, he is, in the opinion of the referee,
involved in active play by:
• interfering with play or
• interfering with an opponent or
• gaining an advantage by being in that position

bandcamp

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
And still waiting for a replay of the SA goal in that game. GREAT shot but not once did they have a look at where he was when the ball was passed to him. He may have been on but it was close! They replay everything to death and they never showed that one...and it led to a goal. Go figure.................

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm constantly amazed by those who have played the game for years that still do not understand the laws of the game. No offense to you TheRob - you are in very good company ;)

Law 11 - Offside

Offside position
It is not an offence in itself to be in an offside position.

• he is nearer to his opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent

A player is not in an offside position if:
• he is in his own half of the fi eld of play or
• he is level with the second-last opponent or
• he is level with the last two opponents

Offence
A player in an offside position is only penalised if, at the moment the ball
touches or is played by one of his team, he is, in the opinion of the referee,
involved in active play by:
• interfering with play or
• interfering with an opponent or
• gaining an advantage by being in that position

Kurgan, I was amazed as you are that I did not "know" this as well. I chose to categorize this in the "you never stop learning" column. I am also very fortunate that I have so many friends on TTP that are here to help me. :cool: ;)

By the way, I love you TheRob.

kurgan

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 8, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
And still waiting for a replay of the SA goal in that game. GREAT shot but not once did they have a look at where he was when the ball was passed to him. He may have been on but it was close! They replay everything to death and they never showed that one...and it led to a goal. Go figure.................

I didn't think it was even close to offside at the time so I checked the PVR - he was on by about 4 yards. They did show the through ball replay about 10 min later, but didn't use the black line graphic. Still, well on.

termatofylakas

Sep 16, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Bandcamp here is the best video I can find that actually shows the whole sequence including the pass to send him in. Onside by a mile. Excuse the fact that it's in Greek but you can see he's clearly on. Where as I want to know what the assistant in today's game between the Slovaks and the kiwis was doing. The Slovak goal was such an easy offside to call but it wasn't. Just makes you wonder how much some of these guys have riding on these games.

Anyways here's the link: South Africa-Mexico 1-0 (1-1, 11/6/2010)

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Terma, thank you for mentioning the AR in today's game... he was about 4 yards behind the play which is why I can only assume the Slovak goal counted...

termatofylakas

Sep 16, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I didn't see the game Regs. I just watched the highlights and even without replay I could see he was in behind the line of defenders. Wow and these guys are supposedly the best of the best sent from their countries?

Actually looking at it again right by where the pass is sent in from there was a foul. The guy who was involved in the give and go went to go out wide and was hauled down. The AR probably turned to look and missed the obvious is the only way I can see him not calling that. Whatever makes no difference to me but it's shitty for the Kiwis.

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Kind of gives an "out" for a keeper to leave one guy on the post, keep everyone outside the six, and try for every free kick sent in without fear of fcuking up and getting scored on don't you think? The rule doesn't make any sense in my opinion.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts