Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

MLS commissioner identifies Wayne Rooney as transfer target

ArticleBot

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
MLS commissioner identifies Wayne Rooney as transfer target

Major League Soccer has attracted a number of big-name players over the last decade, and league commissioner Don Garber says his radar for superstar signings has zeroed in on one player in particular: Manchester United forward Wayne Rooney

In a single-entity league, Garber has been involved with the signings of many star strikers, such as the recent acquisitions of Kaka, David Villa, and Sebastian Giovinco. Garber says Rooney is the latest target, telling Manchester Evening News at Soccerex that he would be interested in signing England's top scorer over the next few years.

"He's under contract at Manchester United," Garber told reporters. "I'm personally very friendly with the Glazers, I know them well. To even be talking about it while he's under contract I guess speaks to the way we operate. We don't do that. We wouldn't do it.

"We would love players like Wayne Rooney, and those who have been able to be really successful at the highest level, to be thinking about Major League Soccer. Today, that's perhaps in their 30s and maybe, sometime in the future, that's in their mid-20s.”

Related - Wayne Rooney breaks all-time England scoring record with 50th international goal

Should Rooney sign for an MLS side, he would join fellow Premier League icons, past and present, such as Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, David Beckham, Thierry Henry, Didier Drogba, and Robbie Keane, a prospect the 29-year-old striker says he's thought about.

"I'll sit down with my wife and children and decide if it would be right for me," Rooney said, regarding a move to MLS. "When you're first getting into the first team, the passion abroad is not something you think about. You're just trying to break into the team. The older you get, the more you start to think about it, and realize how big football is."

Copyright © 2015 Score Media Ventures Inc. All rights reserved. Certain content reproduced under license.

Continue reading...

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0