Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

MLS not to move forward with Miami expansion

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
mlsnet.com said:
After collectively exploring the option of a team in South Florida, Major League Soccer, FC Barcelona, and Marcelo Claure have agreed that timing is not right

NEW YORK -- Major League Soccer, FC Barcelona, and Marcelo Claure have jointly agreed that Miami is no longer a candidate to be one of the next two MLS expansion teams. After extensive discussions and collaborative evaluation a decision was made that at this time because it was determined that it was not feasible to launch a Major League Soccer team in South Florida in 2010 due to adverse market conditions.

Notwithstanding, FC Barcelona remains committed to Major League Soccer and the U.S. market and will continue to work with MLS and Marcelo Claure on other soccer-related projects.

"I want to thank both FC Barcelona and Marcelo Claure for the tremendous effort to bring an MLS expansion team to Miami," said MLS Commissioner Don Garber. "FC Barcelona is one of the best managed and strategically operated sporting clubs in any sport in the World and I appreciate the opportunity that we have had to work with them and Marcelo Claure over the last few months."

"The U.S market continues to be a priority for FC Barcelona," said FC Barcelona CEO Joan Oliver. "We will continue our comprehensive game promotion and marketing agreement with Soccer United Marketing and will look for additional ways to strengthen our relationship with MLS and America's soccer fans."

"I remain a believer in MLS and the future of professional soccer in America... particularly in South Florida," said Marcelo Claure. "Although we have not been able to move forward at this time for a wide variety of reasons, I will work with FC Barcelona on other soccer projects in South Florida."

2 things here:

1. Vancouver must be a lock now
  2. Could Montreal be back into play? Will the expansion fee be revisited?

kjohnsob

Aug 25, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
2 things here:

1. Vancouver must be a lock now
  2. Could Montreal be back into play? Will the expansion fee be revisited?

CKNW was saying it'll be vancouver and portland pending a portland city council meeting.

they'd move columbus over to east and that would make up for the fact their adding two western teams

Mr. X

Nov 29, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
CKNW was saying it'll be vancouver and portland pending a portland city council meeting.

they'd move columbus over to east and that would make up for the fact their adding two western teams

If that happens it has an already built in rivalry with both Seattle and Portland which would make for some great games. Road trips for the fans and everything. Good stuff.

I agree Regs, we have to be a lock now. If we don't get one of the spots I'd be shocked.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0