Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Mountain bikes

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dude et al, I'm in the market for a new mountain bike. I'm interested in a Kona or Rocky Mountain to about $1000. Where are some good spots to purchase one? I only really know of some place in Deep Cove and Simon's Bike Cellar downtown. Any other decent shops for those two makes of bikes? Nearby Kits would be helpful.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Keeper,

My advise would be to not worry about finding a shop close to your place, unless it is well known as reputable. West Point Cycle has a pretty good reputation, but their lead hand actually left to run the Cove last year, and he was very, very good. You need to deal with a shop that will provide good service, and who can clearly explain the technical differences in a bike, and steer you towards the right model. I'd deal w/ the Cove, rather than Simons. Simon himself is a good guy, but his attention span is about a nano second, and if you don't make a buying decision within 10 minutes, he moves on. He's all about moving bikes out the door, and NEXT!

The Cove is a great shop, and are the biggest Rocky dealer in BC. You should also pay a visit to John Henry's in North Vancouver, as well as On-the-Top Cycle. These shops will give you what you need from an expertise standpoint. Rocky is a great brand, along with Kona, but keep your mind open to other brands as well. Giant has been making huge strides, and Trek (if you're looking for a cross country bike) is a great value too. The nice thing about Rocky is that they're built in Richmond, and Giants has a manufacturing facility in Vancouver. This means faster turn around on warrantees.

Hope that helps a bit.

number2

Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
keeper,

if you've got around a $1000 to spend, how 'bout fixing your dieseling car? :wa:

Should cost you way less than a new bike.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Cove Bikes

Dude,

I took your advice and made the trek to Cove Bikes. Damn good shop, but I wish you had warned me and suggested packing an over-night bag. Sons of bitches -- why did they have to put Deep Cove so far away?

Great selection, great prices, and damn helpful. Thanks for the tip; I'm extremely satisfied with my purchase. :cool:

number2

Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
what about security?

Congrats keep!

did you buy a 5 foot length of chain to wrap around the seat and a padlock to go along with it. :wa:

You know there are wierd people out there that might want to steal it from you.

Don't worry your pretty little head: that's in the budget too.

And they managed to fix your car too? How about a roof rack? Did you get one of those thrown in with the deal to? :D

Did you get one those "rat traps" as well? I've got one in my shed that I'm not using. It won't fit Jodie's tricycle so you're free to use it. Carry your books to school and everything!!! Maybe even give people rides... Think of the possibilities.!!!

:wa: :wa:

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Bro,

I discovered that UBC has some bike lockers for rent at the War Memorial, so security is moot. I did get a "rat trap", but I found that they don't make 'em like that anymore :eek: -- it's just a rack that you can attach some bags to. Car rack was also part of the deal as a advance b-day present. Nice little package -- all-in-all.

Car gets done when I talk to the cuz.

Dude,

It all came down to a choice between a Kona Blast and a Rocky Mountain Fusion. I found the Fusion had a tighter and more comfortable ride, and the Kona had the most uncomfortable seat I've ever sat on. Fusion: better frame; Blast: better parts.

I chose Rocky Mountain, and I love it. I've always wanted a Hammer, but seeing as how $1500 is a bit outa my range, I'm happy with this.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Excellent Bro!

Now all we have to do is ditch the short travel shocks, and get you into some 8" travel Monster Ts! Single ring w/ chain guide in the front, and some grippy, platform pedals...you could have the best hucking urban machine on campus! Some Roach Armour couldn't hurt either.

Keeper in 2 months:

"Hey Daddyo, watch me launch that 8' embankment down to the chem lab...I'm going for a 10 on style!"
:cool:

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
waiting for my paycheque...

Jude, Jugs and Notty...
I, much like Keeps, need some advice, having to leave my out of date Kona at home in Canada...My shopping around so far has lead me to this (Please keep in mind that this is translated by yours truly from Mandarin to English)...

My first overseas 'casual riding selections for Giants are as follows:

Yukon (ATX 840) = $400 Canadian (no tax)
Sedona LX (ATX 845) $420 Canadian(no tax)
Iguana (ATX 860) = $625 Canadian (no tax)

My first 'money' downhill riding Giant bike options for back home look like this:

Boulder DS (DS 825) = $500 Canadian (no tax)
Warp DS2 = $925 approx. Canadian (no tax)

Now off to the Kona shop to pick out some top of the line specials... :wa:

+Thanks in advance (for the advice to follow)
SCstillwithnomoneybutwithpriorities:eek:

Dapotayto

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
As the saying goes baby, go hard or go home. I'll tell you what. Seeing as my hand is gimpified and I am not particularly interested in getting it surgically repaired again I am retiring from freeridin'. Get some more money together and I'll sell you my 2000 Cove G-spot. Fully tricked, absolutely no upgrading necessary, even possible really. You can jump off fricking buildings on this thing. And think of the sexual innuendo you can throw around. "I love my G-spot", "My G-spot is my favorite thing in the whole world", "I work my G-spot whenever I can" etc. etc. By the way, Dennis Rodman's boat is named Sexual Chocolate. Is There a connection here?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
SC-

What do you want this particular bike for, anyhow? Just commuting?

I'd have to review the whole line to give a fair assesment (no time right now), but @ around $500.00, you are talking pretty bare bones. Base your decision on best price, which a decent enough component package that will hold up.

Then, when you get back home, call Dapotayto and offer him some cash for the G-spot.

BTW- how is that G-spot, Potoato? Good tube travel? Nice dampening? It bet it's smooth, like butter, huh? How is it on big jumps?

Dapotayto

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
DWMC, to be honest I'm not exactly massively experienced when it comes to freeriding so I can't give the technical lowdown on the G-spot nor do I have a lot to compare it to. It is definitely like butta though. Thing pretty much rides itself as long as you get that center of gravity behind it and on jumps it is stellar. I got huge disc brakes and threw some double crowns on it when I bought it as well as some other stuff on the recommendation of friends who do ride a lot. My roommate has a Stinky and it definitely rocks on that although it should at twice the price I guess. I would have to say that overall it pummels but I should get my roomy to give you the lowdown as he's ridden it more than I have (the ligaments in my right hand are spaghetti therefore me no ride much no more). Cheers and keep on huckin' for the rest of us that can't, Dude!

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Jude...

both purposes. One for the terrain (streets) of Taiwan and one for the ride home. I'm starting my collection now. I found some dudes that ride in the mountains.:wa:

The question is, how do I get my bike on the back of my scooter?:eek: :confused:

Again, just wanting to compare notes, considering the bikes are half the price here.

As for you El Pastashio , Rodman named his boat after the legendary one... moi :p

+sexisgood,andridingis...hmm,I'llhavetothinkaboutthatone:eek:

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0