Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Need professional ideas!

vli2002

Nov 13, 2010
Tokens
Dirty Money
Currently, my son is seven years old and he is in a U8 team. In the past 5 in-house games, he totally scored 39 times. He is a both feet players and he can keep head up in dribbling. I have trained him with Coerver Coaching for 14 months. Some parents suggest me to put him in a U9 or U10 team.

My son was born in the first half year of 2003. I know if he is good enough to play some advanced leagues in the future (for example, Super-Y league), he need to play with players born in 2002. But I worry about if it is easier to get injured with bigger kids.

I would like to know some professional ideas about the advantages and disadvantages for putting him in a U9 team.

Thanks in advance.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hey vli2002,

Welcome to TTP!

Which club is he in now? Perhaps there is someone there to talk to, i.e., the club head coach/technical director?

Cheers,

Regs.

number10hamburgler

Mar 16, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dear vli2002,

It's good to see you are committed in your son's progress as a soccer player. If I were you I would call some scouts from some Premier U9 teams to see, maybe even youth Whitecaps, to see how and where your son should play. If your son is too small, both yourself and coaches of the U9 teams will make such an evaluation that your son is either too small and what not to compete in that division.

Your son is still very young so you shouldn't expect too much from him now. But the best thing is keep him associated with and in elite clubs and squads in BC that can get him somewhere as a soccer player, whether it's in the Whitecaps or some club in Europe.

Cheers,

N10H

vli2002

Nov 13, 2010
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dear N10h,

Thanks for your advice.

May I know where I can get some information about those Premier U9 teams?

Cheers,

vli2002

number10hamburgler

Mar 16, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hi vli2002,

I would go through this list,
British Columbia Soccer Association > About Us > Directory > Our Members
And take a look at all the Youth Clubs in your area. And ask a lot of questions.

I honestly don't know all the prominent Youth U9 clubs now, but Coquitlam Metro Ford is one club that sticks out, and Surrey United also.

If I were you I would also take a look at the clubs that have won the most youth Provincial championships and have most competed at youth Nationals. They usually know what they are doing.

Cheers,

N10H

vli2002

Nov 13, 2010
Tokens
Dirty Money
Thanks for your advice.

Hi vli2002,

I would go through this list,
British Columbia Soccer Association > About Us > Directory > Our Members
And take a look at all the Youth Clubs in your area. And ask a lot of questions.

I honestly don't know all the prominent Youth U9 clubs now, but Coquitlam Metro Ford is one club that sticks out, and Surrey United also.

If I were you I would also take a look at the clubs that have won the most youth Provincial championships and have most competed at youth Nationals. They usually know what they are doing.

Cheers,

N10H

RL RCD

May 31, 2010
Tokens
Dirty Money
Currently, my son is seven years old and he is in a U8 team. In the past 5 in-house games, he totally scored 39 times. He is a both feet players and he can keep head up in dribbling. I have trained him with Coerver Coaching for 14 months. Some parents suggest me to put him in a U9 or U10 team.

My son was born in the first half year of 2003. I know if he is good enough to play some advanced leagues in the future (for example, Super-Y league), he need to play with players born in 2002. But I worry about if it is easier to get injured with bigger kids.

I would like to know some professional ideas about the advantages and disadvantages for putting him in a U9 team.

Thanks in advance.

I decided to reply to you although it may not be the reply you were actually hoping for. My friend, believe me, your kid is not the only one that is very talented soccer player. There are a lot of kids at that age that dominate their age groups and naturally parents start wondering if they have a potential star who could go really far.

Anyway, if you feel that your kid is such a great talent then, my friend, pack your stuff and go to Europe (England, Spain, Italy, Germany, or Holland). Your move may be the best thing you have done in your life. There is no point waiting here and hoping someone will notice your kid. Yes, he will be noticed, and down the road maybe play for Provincial team, Y-team, and so on but the question is what will be happening during the next 5-6 years which are crucial for his development. With all due respect, this Province (and country) does not have professional soccer coaches who could take your son (and numerous other kids) to the next level.

Younger generations from Canada are at par with their European age groups. Why? Because at the younger age it is all about the talent and talents exist everywhere. Here in Canada there is no one that could take that talent, work with him, and teach him how to make the next step. If one country does not have a professional soccer league then it tells you a story. Think just about that fact and that should point where the right direction is. If your kid plays hockey then Canada is a perfect choice but when it comes to soccer Canada is not even in first 100.

I have seen such great talents being wasted here in last 10-15 years because no one was pro enough to help these talents to reach the next stage. Your kid is fairly small (if I understod you) so he may be even overlooked later on because there are some people (actually a lot of them) who think that you have to be at least 6 feet tall in order to play soccer. Those people would even miss to notice Lionel Messi as a talented player.

If you cannot move to Europe my only advice to you would be to test a few soccer schools and see if you can find there anyone with the connections in Europe to arrange some try-outs (in all honesty, you can do this all by yourself if you know who to phone in some big European clubs). One of the best clubs in the world and one of the best known for their youth soccer school is FC Barcelona. Call them directly, tell them what you told us. Even better, record your kid, send them a tape/DVD. I am quite sure that they will invite you to visit them and test your kid (they have nothing to loose; you will be paying your own air fare but if they notice your kid and if they think that your kid has a great potential then the next air fare and hotel expenses will be paid by the club).

In the meantime take your kid to some other clubs who have a select program at that early age and see how your kid is good against better competition. South Burnaby, as far as I know, even does not have a select team at U-14 level (they have only gold, silver, and bronze teams at U-14 and afterwards, while U-14 Metro level is in the hands of Burnaby Selects).

vli2002

Nov 13, 2010
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hi, my dear friend, thank you so much about all the advice you told to me. I totally agree with what you said. I never said my son is a talent kid before.

I do not think my son can be a professional player, because it needs around 10000 hours practice as early as possible (before 18 years old). In the past 14 month, we tried about 200 hours. I know it is really hard.

I put my son in another club that has early select team in this September. There are around 10 skillful kids in that club. But I cancelled with that club on the last day of September, because the club does not follow its rules for new players. In addition, in the past 7 year, that club only got a single champion in the gold level. SBMC got 9 champions in the gold level. It can be found at 4 District Soccer League.

In my personal understanding about soccer, nature talent is nothing compared with hard work. All kids have different talent. For example, some kids have fast running speed, some kids have fast reflection speed, others have fast decision making speed. All the three kinds of speeds are important in soccer.

Sometimes, people want to make rules to limit other people. I think it is unfair to a seven year old kid. I do not want my son to dominate the game. But I want him to know working hard and never giving up are the ways to change life.

I want to make sure it is OK to play soccer with bigger kids for a seven year old kid. That is the reason I ask question here.

I decided to reply to you although it may not be the reply you were actually hoping for. My friend, believe me, your kid is not the only one that is very talented soccer player. There are a lot of kids at that age that dominate their age groups and naturally parents start wondering if they have a potential star who could go really far.

Anyway, if you feel that your kid is such a great talent then, my friend, pack your stuff and go to Europe (England, Spain, Italy, Germany, or Holland). Your move may be the best thing you have done in your life. There is no point waiting here and hoping someone will notice your kid. Yes, he will be noticed, and down the road maybe play for Provincial team, Y-team, and so on but the question is what will be happening during the next 5-6 years which are crucial for his development. With all due respect, this Province (and country) does not have professional soccer coaches who could take your son (and numerous other kids) to the next level.

Younger generations from Canada are at par with their European age groups. Why? Because at the younger age it is all about the talent and talents exist everywhere. Here in Canada there is no one that could take that talent, work with him, and teach him how to make the next step. If one country does not have a professional soccer league then it tells you a story. Think just about that fact and that should point where the right direction is. If your kid plays hockey then Canada is a perfect choice but when it comes to soccer Canada is not even in first 100.

I have seen such great talents being wasted here in last 10-15 years because no one was pro enough to help these talents to reach the next stage. Your kid is fairly small (if I understod you) so he may be even overlooked later on because there are some people (actually a lot of them) who think that you have to be at least 6 feet tall in order to play soccer. Those people would even miss to notice Lionel Messi as a talented player.

If you cannot move to Europe my only advice to you would be to test a few soccer schools and see if you can find there anyone with the connections in Europe to arrange some try-outs (in all honesty, you can do this all by yourself if you know who to phone in some big European clubs). One of the best clubs in the world and one of the best known for their youth soccer school is FC Barcelona. Call them directly, tell them what you told us. Even better, record your kid, send them a tape/DVD. I am quite sure that they will invite you to visit them and test your kid (they have nothing to loose; you will be paying your own air fare but if they notice your kid and if they think that your kid has a great potential then the next air fare and hotel expenses will be paid by the club).

In the meantime take your kid to some other clubs who have a select program at that early age and see how your kid is good against better competition. South Burnaby, as far as I know, even does not have a select team at U-14 level (they have only gold, silver, and bronze teams at U-14 and afterwards, while U-14 Metro level is in the hands of Burnaby Selects).

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hi, my dear friend, thank you so much about all the advice you told to me. I totally agree with what you said. I never said my son is a talent kid before.

I do not think my son can be a professional player, because it needs around 10000 hours practice as early as possible (before 18 years old). In the past 14 month, we tried about 200 hours. I know it is really hard.

I put my son in another club that has early select team in this September. There are around 10 skillful kids in that club. But I cancelled with that club on the last day of September, because the club does not follow its rules for new players. In addition, in the past 7 year, that club only got a single champion in the gold level. SBMC got 9 champions in the gold level. It can be found at 4 District Soccer League.

In my personal understanding about soccer, nature talent is nothing compared with hard work. All kids have different talent. For example, some kids have fast running speed, some kids have fast reflection speed, others have fast decision making speed. All the three kinds of speeds are important in soccer.

Sometimes, people want to make rules to limit other people. I think it is unfair to a seven year old kid. I do not want my son to dominate the game. But I want him to know working hard and never giving up are the ways to change life.

I want to make sure it is OK to play soccer with bigger kids for a seven year old kid. That is the reason I ask question here.

Surprised no other coaches have jumped in.

First, I'd definitely offer the opinion that rearranging your life and moving to Europe just to accommodate a 7 year old talented soccer player is a ridiculous notion. Not that I wouldn’t move to Europe, but there are plenty of good reasons other than football to make a life altering move for your whole family. If football is the one and only reason, and all of a sudden your kid decides as a 9 year old he’s done w/ the game, what’s the fall back for your family?

If your son continues on his current path, by associating yourself with the right contacts and people in the game here, you can make contacts overseas to possibly billet or go over on a youth trial when he’s a little older. The training here really isn't that inferior that a devoted and passionate player will "lose it" when he's 12-15. At the age of 12-15, he'll be able to adapt if he's driven.

More to the topic: moving up one age level is quite typical for the kids who are clearly a step ahead, even if they are smaller. Yes, clubs like CMF and Surrey United may be good places to go where you can expose your kid to these opportunities. Get yourself into a good club atmosphere, talk w/ the technical director, and get the kid moved to a year up. If he continues to dominate, then you can decide what to do from there.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
By the way...I read this and laughed.

You are basically paraphasing a scenario that was reported on in the Province in 2008:

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/story.html?id=b2850249-31ff-40c6-a316-1ffcd36a4dab&k=80262

OK, seriously now...FC Barca will not "invite" just about anyone, and no, it is not "easy" to do it yourself. Maybe learn a little about the local scene here, and some of the people involved, before spouting off about local coaches and clubs. No, we're not Europe, but it could be a lot worse.

RL RCD

May 31, 2010
Tokens
Dirty Money
By the way...I read this and laughed.

You are basically paraphasing a scenario that was reported on in the Province in 2008:

Soccer phenom, 9, signs with Barca

OK, seriously now...FC Barca will not "invite" just about anyone, and no, it is not "easy" to do it yourself. Maybe learn a little about the local scene here, and some of the people involved, before spouting off about local coaches and clubs. No, we're not Europe, but it could be a lot worse.

Dude,

There is no reason to laugh. If a kid is so good and he scores 7,8 goals every game, take a video camera, record his games, send it to a few giants in Europe, and the invitations may arrive.

I did not say that Barca would invite anyone; the way how it is presented here it looks that the kid is an extraordinary player. If that is the case then he will get invited by Barca or some other European giants for a try-out. It does not cost them anything to invite an extraordinary talent for a try-out. The article you posted just proves what I said.

And, Dude, let me add something. Do you think that young Gianni Patino of North Vancouver (from the article you posted) will be the same player if he stays here from U-9 to, let's say, U-14 or if he spends time in Barcelona's youth program?

cascadesoccer

Oct 7, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
With the passing of Roman Tulis, is his school still being run, by Roman Jr, or some other trainers? I attended that school when I was younger and was given the opportunity to play in Portugal against teams like Benfica and Sporting Lisbon. He also brought in Scouts from Belgium and other countries. He did have young youth levels for training and if the school is still being run, I would highly recommend it, for the opportunities that it gives its players. Not sure if other schools have the same type of connections.

Casacde

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The reason I laughed is that you essentially took a scenario that was reported in the Province two years ago about a soccer prodigy who is not only extremely talented but being manically driven by his father since he's been in kindergarten, and are trying to "sell it" as your own knowledge and advise. I call complete bullshit on you that you had no idea about the article. Obviously you did, and you were paraphrasing from the article.

Your words:

One of the best clubs in the world and one of the best known for their youth soccer school is FC Barcelona. Call them directly, tell them what you told us. Even better, record your kid, send them a tape/DVD. I am quite sure that they will invite you to visit them and test your kid (they have nothing to loose; you will be paying your own air fare but if they notice your kid and if they think that your kid has a great potential then the next air fare and hotel expenses will be paid by the club).

So, it's that easy to get a trial, huh? So, as you put it, there would be no screening involved, no review of CVs, no review of recommendations...just show up, eh?

Gianni's dad, in this case, made it his personal mission to get his son into Barca. All of the family’s eggs are in little Gianni's basket. Never mind keeping a kindergarten aged kid out till 10:00 on weeknights "training", never mind creating a website for him, the dad is clearly living his dreams through his son.

My favorite quote:

"We don't know what will happen, but this is the most important thing, to support this little guy's dream,"

Sure...not your dreams, but the little guy's, eh? At least they picked Barca, which is an amazing city full of culture. Could be worse.

Anyhow...a 7 year old playing U-8 house and scorring 7-8 goals per game is outstanding (but not uncommon...happens every year in every club), but seriously...how about letting the kid grow up a bit, and get involved at least in higher level LOCAL competition before calling up Barca. Just a thought.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
And, Dude, let me add something. Do you think that young Gianni Patino of North Vancouver (from the article you posted) will be the same player if he stays here from U-9 to, let's say, U-14 or if he spends time in Barcelona's youth program?

Who knows. Could go either way. Possibly yes...maybe even better for not being freaking burnt out by the time he's 15.

I do know this...exceptionally tallented kids will not lose their tallents between the ages of 10 and 15. If they are driven, the tallent will remain. I guess I'm just promoting not sending an 8 year old kid to Europe just because he scored some goals in U-8 house. Maybe I'm stupid and don't quite understand kids or the game, but that's just me.

RL RCD

May 31, 2010
Tokens
Dirty Money
The reason I laughed is that you essentially took a scenario that was reported in the Province two years ago about a soccer prodigy who is not only extremely talented but being manically driven by his father since he's been in kindergarten, and are trying to "sell it" as your own knowledge and advise. I call complete bullshit on you that you had no idea about the article. Obviously you did, and you were paraphrasing from the article.

Your words:

So, it's that easy to get a trial, huh? So, as you put it, there would be no screening involved, no review of CVs, no review of recommendations...just show up, eh?

Gianni's dad, in this case, made it his personal mission to get his son into Barca. All of the family’s eggs are in little Gianni's basket. Never mind keeping a kindergarten aged kid out till 10:00 on weeknights "training", never mind creating a website for him, the dad is clearly living his dreams through his son.

My favorite quote:

Sure...not your dreams, but the little guy's, eh? At least they picked Barca, which is an amazing city full of culture. Could be worse.

Anyhow...a 7 year old playing U-8 house and scorring 7-8 goals per game is outstanding (but not uncommon...happens every year in every club), but seriously...how about letting the kid grow up a bit, and get involved at least in higher level LOCAL competition before calling up Barca. Just a thought.

Dude,

Believe or not, I have not heard until today (from you) about that kid from North Vancouver. Everybody knows that Barcelona has a great youth program so that is why I mentioned that club (Messi came there as a young kid, but not that young, made a name through their youth program, Bojan Krkic, numerous other players too). Some twenty years ago (or even more) it used to be Ajax from Holland that had the best youth program in Europe.

And, man, I did not say anywhere just to show up. There is no room (or time) to go into every single detail. I said, at least, to call, present the case, send a DVD. All I mentioned is because it sounded to me that the kid that was mentioned in this post by his dad is an extraordinary talent.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dude,

Believe or not, I have not heard until today (from you) about that kid from North Vancouver. Everybody knows that Barcelona has a great youth program so that is why I mentioned that club (Messi came there as a young kid, but not that young, made a name through their youth program, Bojan Krkic, numerous other players too). Some twenty years ago (or even more) it used to be Ajax from Holland that had the best youth program in Europe.

And, man, I did not say anywhere just to show up. There is no room (or time) to go into every single detail. I said, at least, to call, present the case, send a DVD. All I mentioned is because it sounded to me that the kid that was mentioned in this post by his dad is an extraordinary talent.

And I'm just calling bullshit on you. I'm not saying Barca isn't a great club- it is. I've visited the Camp Nu myself, and came away absolutely sold on the infrastructure, facilities, and especially the youth program. What I am saying is that it is probably a bit pre-mature to be planning this kid's carreer. If you're going to be a phsyco soccer dad, at least do that here until 12 or 13, let the kid prove he's a prodigy at bthe highest levels in these parts (not house FFS), then throw the kid to the wolves.

RL RCD

May 31, 2010
Tokens
Dirty Money
And I'm just calling bullshit on you.

Call it any way you want. Today was the first time I heard about that kid from North Vancouver. Why is it so heard to believe that? Everybody in this world probably knows how great Barcelona's youth system/program is.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0