Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

New Canada Coach

zenga

Dec 1, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Former international Frank Yallop named coach of Canadian men's soccer team

posted December 16 @ 13:40, EST

BURNABY, B.C. (CP) - Frank Yallop is the new coach of the Canadian men's soccer team.

"This is a day that I have long dreamed about," Yallop said Tuesday. "I took great pride in playing for my country and to be named head coach of the Canadian men's national team is indeed a great honour." The 39-year-old succeeds Holger Osieck, who stepped down in September. Yallop's contract is effective Jan. 1 and through 2006. The contract also holds an option for an extension to 2010. Financial details were not available.

He comes to the national team from the San Jose Earthquakes, a team he led to two MLS championships in three years as head coach.

A defender, Yallop played for Canada 52 times. At the club level, he spent most of his career in England with Ipswich before returning to North America to play in the MLS.

He retired as a player five years ago.

His first assignment with the national team is a camp for North American-based players in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., in January. He will then take his team to Barbados for a friendly on Jan. 18.

Canada opens World Cup qualifying in June against Belize.

Top of Page

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
New coach but probably the same result. How can you make the side better with no money?

Bottom of page.

Rex

Jul 24, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Knvb

You just never know ! Holger was not the right coach for the Nat team. I thought he was not the right coach for the job from the start . I think Frank Yallop could be the right coach. Also it's about time they moved the nat teams head office to BC I was reading that in the province today there in the same office as the Whitecaps.

Cheers
Rex

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
In every interview and article, Greg Kirfoot's name gets brought up.

I'm taking it that this guy has a huge soft spot for soccer, and really wants to see it succeed. Why else would he buy the Caps, who are a break even business at the best of conceivable possibilities, and why else would he be actively looking for a site for a new soccer only stadium?

Whatever it is, it's all good for local footy. Maybe a sugar daddy like Kirfoot financially backing the program is what is needed to change the fortunes of the Canadian Soccer around. They've made the best first move in bringing the offices together, and working w/ the Caps. You have to wonder if the Caps are perhaps now seriously eyeing an MLS franchise, which in turn would be better for developing Canadian talent?

Anyhow, it's exciting to see positive change, and great to hear that Kirfoot is behind the scenes trying to make things happen.

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
New Nat coach & Caps MLS dream

Good news for Canadian football, but the hardest decision Frank will need to make continually is whether or not he is able to accept and sacrifice full-squad training to bring in the likes of Radzinski and to a lesser extent Saltari, and Devos??? This kid Iain Hume is in the Tranmere Rovers organization and would also meet the same criteria... Does Canada not need a training facility also in Europe??? If we continue progress as a soccer nation (which I still doubt we even are) then Canada needs a training centre for it's European based players... Bottom line, our elit players are already in Europe and they are the talented guys that need to be taken care of and supported though this type of facility...
Am I wrong??? (Dude and KNVB need not reply, you're both clueless);)
The Whitecaps will not be granted an MLS franchise unless the league is in dire straights and needs a few more expansion teams to fill in for the others that have left due to bankruptcy... The USA Soccer Federation have been using "their" league to develope home grown talent (I'm not talking BC Bud here) and only allow 3 imports per team... Not too positive if that means on the pitch at one time or in the full squad, but what ever way you slice it, this league is American for Americans... They don't need nor want any Canuck based team playing along side their developing talent pool... The amount of dosh the Yanks have injected into the system is at least 100 X any bucks our Feds would even be willing to throw in... We are small potatoes in comparison to our neighbours to the south... Vancouver's ambitions in getting an MLS franchise is barely a pipe dream unless we are prepared to carry an almost all Yank squad???
Sorry, I don't see it happening... :(

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The Whitecaps will not be granted an MLS franchise unless the league is in dire straights and needs a few more expansion teams to fill in for the others that have left due to bankruptcy...

Have you looked at the state of MLS lately?

Agree it is a longshot, but Kirfoot has Monopolly money to burn.

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
KNVB & Dude

Well said donkey's...:rolleyes:
Again TTP's gay lovers (not that there's anything wrong with that unless you get a visual of these two?) have decided to throw in some quality witty banter insted of posting something intelligent or thought provoking... :eek: :eek:

I guess I was expecting a long shot of sorts also???;)

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well said POT. Thanks for all your intelligent and thought provoking posts. I know I'm a c-hair wiser for reading your last effort and will not be able to sleep tonight until I figure a way to turn your idea's into a reality for Canadian soccer to benefit from.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0