Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

New Stadium Rumour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Actually a bit of old news... I think the Province just started to "talk" about it this week as well...

I think we've posted about it in some thread here in past weeks but I couldn't find it...

There is quite a lot of talk about it on the southsiders forum or whatever the hell it's called... someone there actually did all the leg work in tracking down the sources and 'broke' the story there.

The land was purchased by a numbered company whom Kerfoot just happened to be the director of. Or something like that.

It will be quite the development... too bad it won't really create a buzz for awhile with all the NHL stuff going on...

GhostRider

Jul 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I thought this might be old news since the article is a few days old but I couldn't find a thread about it either. I have an apartment in that neighbourhood so its a special interest for me.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
If you have access to yesterday's Province, they have an article on this with an illustration of the bought land on page A10.

I'll try and find the thread here that mentioned this in the past as well as a couple of direct links to the southsider threads in a bit when I have some time.

Do you think this development would increase or decrease the value of your apartment?

GhostRider

Jul 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I haven't seen the illustration of the bought land but I just read the article online that was posted on one of the discussion boards.

I'm having a hard time imagining how this stadium is going to fit on the rail lands so I'm unsure of whats going to happen to my property value. My property value has a sizeable premium built-in because of the incredible view to the harbour. However, it also sits right next to train tracks and the noise from the locomotives mildly detract from the value.

My apartment is directly across from Crab Park and the train tracks right outside my window are at a narrowing point where the main track starts to branch, so I don't think they can fit a stadium in there that could block the view. From what I've heard about city planning for Vancouver, the silhouette of the city has to be on a decline from the high point which means the stadium can't be taller than the buildings right next to it. (to the south) The buildings next to the rail tracks are about 6-8 stories. This means that they would have to dig deeper to fit railtracks plus a stadium on top of them, and the trains would have to enter under the stadium on a decline, and exit from the stadium on an incline. I can't see how CP Rail would agree to this as their fuel costs would go through the roof for their locomotives coming out of the stadium on that incline. The residents (including me) would complain because the noise from a locomotive climbing an incline would be unacceptable, unless the incline is actually enclosed under the stadium or some kind tunnelling.

If the stadium is somehow built in front of my building (which I don't think it will) then my property value will plummet.

If the stadium is built away from my building but the locomotive noise increases then my property value will decrease, but not as much as it would if the view is blocked.

If the stadium is built away from my building but the locomotive noise stays the same then my property value will be unchanged, aside from benefitting from economic development that goes along with bringing in a stadium.

My ideal scenerio is that they take out the rail tracks altogether and eliminate the noise from the tracks and build the stadium away from the view of my building, and they build manicured practice fields next to the stadium. :)

At the end of the day, the stadium will block some views. (unless they get rid of the tracks and dig real deep so the field is well below street level) The owners of the buildings who will have blocked views will fight hard to get the project rejected as they can lose millions of dollars if they lose their views of the harbour.

I'll try to get an aerial shot from google maps to give anybody interested a better idea of what i just described.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Maybe somehow, someway, KNVB can get the city to send you an "I choose, choose, choose you" card. That would be funny :D

Maybe not.

The stuff I have read talk about the stadium being built over the tracks... some stadium in Melbourne or something did it that way.

TJG

Sep 9, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
They talked about it on the TEAM 1040 numerous times, including on the Whitecaps broadcasts. According to them, it's in the process of getting the red tape out of the way. As soon as that's done, they will start work. Unfortunately it won't be ready for the 2007 Youth World Championships. Rumors are that it will make an official anouncement once the season is complete.

GhostRider

Jul 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
According to City Hall, it would take at least 2 years before they can stick a shovel in the ground. Here's an e-mail I received from City Hall:

At the present time, the City has not received an application or a formal proposal to consider a stadium facility on this site.

Were such a proposal or application received, it would be subject to a thorough planning process and review, which would normally have a number of stages including policy planning, rezoning, and a development premit. This would take at least two years. Each stage would include extensive public consultation with owners such as yourself, community groups, and interested parties generally.

willis316

Oct 26, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs said:
If you have access to yesterday's Province, they have an article on this with an illustration of the bought land on page A10.

I'll try and find the thread here that mentioned this in the past as well as a couple of direct links to the southsider threads in a bit when I have some time.

Do you think this development would increase or decrease the value of your apartment?

Thread ---- What Canadian soccer needs I believe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0