Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

No Fun Vancouver...

Is Vancouver still the no fun city?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Argyle

Feb 22, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Should Vancouver still be classified as the No Fun City?

There seems to be quite a few events happening around town these days. Are we still the no fun town?

Thoughts?????

Argyle

Feb 22, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I see a few votes, but no reasons!

Everyone agrees with TheRob that the lack of fireworks on Canada Day is the reasoning behind the no fun moniker???

lita

Feb 8, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
fun is what you make it. Vancouver IS a fun city. You can snow ski, water ski, hike, lounge around on the beach, sail, walk through the parks, shopping is great, restaurants are fine some are even spectacular, we have a kick ass football team this year, hockey is back, some decent golf courses and this is just the tip of the iceburg. What the hell more do you want? Fireworks, on Canada Day? Wouldn't the Symphony of Fire just blow them away anyways?

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
What more could we want?

Let's see: a decent-sized outdoor stadium with real grass in it so we can host international-level soccer games and not be ashamed of our bucolic (but pretty) little pitch in the park at Swangard; yes, fireworks on Canada Day so we can say that the federal government actually DID spend some money in Western Canada:rolleyes: ; our racing circuit back (and several less NIMBYs); the right NOT to have to put up with unreasonable "search and seizures" when I take a bottle of wine with me to the August fireworks (and which stays unopened until AFTER I get to my brother's place near Kits Point, especially while we've got crack smokers and needle users within a block of the police station:rolleyes: ; realistic gas and alcohol prices; a public transit system that actually WORKS and doesn't shut down before the bars do; a road system that isn't perpetually under reconstruction during the height of the tourist season; a mayor who has a conscience BEFORE he realizes he needs to get re-elected...

Need I go on? This is not "the best of all possible worlds" Lita.
stew:cool:

lita

Feb 8, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Your points, which are very valid, but I’m an argumentative bitch if you haven’t already noticed and I tend to be more of “happy with what I have” rather than bitch about what I don’t kinda of person.

We don’t have a decent pitch for International Soccer in Vancouver, because Vancouver, I don’t believe could consistently sell out a large venue to the point it that it would turn a profit. Search and seizure laws are necessary at the fireworks and other large outdoor events to cut back on the violence that happens at larger and more condensed events, sure it’s not effective but it is an attempt at trying to control a situation. Gas prices and road work are things that every city deals with, (go to Europe and see what a litre of gas costs, or the road conditions in Asia or Mexico). Are transit system is excellent, sure it doesn’t run 24/7 but if you want to drink till 4 am there is thing called cabs and designated drivers, or grab a bite to eat they start up again at 5 am.

I could go on and on and I’m sure you could as well. But the point is and I’m not trying to be a hard ass, well maybe I am, but take a look around you, at what you have (Vancouver truly has so much to offer, not to mention it’s an absolutely gorgeous city), and stop being such a whinny b*tch about what you don’t. The world doesn’t owe you anything; expect a right to your own opinion :rolleyes: .

Fastshow

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Genius, rumours that TTP was a pile of shite are clearly unfounded.

Lita for Prime Minister.

It takes a special kind of woman to be able to imagine large yet condensed events. And three cheers for anyone who agrees something is utterly uneffective but is willing to carry on doing it anyway. Who said there wasn't comedy in severe mental retardation? It made my day reading that.

Thank God the stupid and the bigotted have TTP.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Manfromthefuture:

Welcome back (again, sort of). Agreed; I think Lita should be Prime Minister. She'd be perfect for the job: grand sweeping shallow vision, the ability to convince yourself that things are alright because we're better off than those in Latin America:rolleyes: , a wonderful grasp of the oxymoronic, and absolute faith in the notion that she'd always have our best interests at heart - remember, Mum knows best. Don't you lot know when you're having fun? How dare you have expectations and complain when they're not lived up to by those you've elected? Where's your sense of gratitude?

Lita, this is one of the most specious arguments you could have come up with. Search and seizure laws are never valid, unless you happen to be a comfortable idiot in a totalitarian state. What violence? We had one large riot in recent memory, and now some panicky gits want to send out the riot squad every time more than 10 people are in one place together. Try sticking half a million people together for an outdoor event (like the street party in Pasadena after the World Cup final there, or the Olympics, like we allegedly want to have) - you have to learn to defuse instead of aggravate.

Why should I not also expect a better infrastructure than somewhere else when our state can definitely afford it (or afford to repair it and be expected to have the common sense to schedule repairing it when it impacts the least number of people)? Yes, I've been to Mexico - numerous times in many parts of the country for extended trips - and have no great expectations as to what "things should be like" there. I do expect that our governments are more capable financially and morally to look after the things around us that make our society work.

As an oil-producing country, we should have lower prices than most of Europe. My objection, in case you've been living in a cave lately and haven't followed local oil economics, is to the extra unnecessary taxes imposed on our gas that we have to pay when we want to buy it.

"Are transit system" is not excellent. My desire to be able to catch a train home has nothing to do with how much I choose to drink, either. We have an automated rapid transit system that sits out of commission every night for 5-6 hours. The electrical system connected to the tracks does not get shut off at night; why not just run the stupid thing 24/7? That would get a lot more people off the street at closing time and satisfy your little law-and-order heart. It would also allow people like me who want to see bands play and not have to miss the last set to avoid the king's ransom a taxi ride costs.

Our local soccer fans wouldn't support a proper venue? Then why did we "convince" the CSA to hold games for the U17 World Cup here? Seems to me having a stadium WITH SUFFICIENT CAPACITY was one of the prerequisites for hosting games. How quickly can one get built? Probably pushing the limits for safe construction about 4 months ago...

Am I a "whinny b*tch?" Hardly, and I'm not a whiny bitch either. You asked the question: "what more do you want" and I answered it. If you don't want answers to your questions, don't ask them. You are correct in that the world owes me nothing, but the people who spend my tax dollars deserve to be much more accountable to me. I do not need to be told by people like you that I'm snivelling or whining when I complain that I see something wrong and it doesn't agree with your saccharine-coated world.

Facts, madam, not opinions.....

Jinky

Jun 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Lita is also a fcuking harpee for stating this,

lita said:
fun is what you make it. Vancouver IS a fun city. You can snow ski, water ski, hike, lounge around on the beach, sail, walk through the parks, shopping is great, restaurants are fine some are even spectacular, we have a kick ass football team this year, hockey is back, some decent golf courses and this is just the tip of the iceburg. What the hell more do you want? Fireworks, on Canada Day? Wouldn't the Symphony of Fire just blow them away anyways?

How are invalids and spastics supposed to enjoy any of those things?
The fcuking cheek!!!

LucVanLierde

Not Bright
Oct 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
stew said:
What more could we want?

Let's see: a decent-sized outdoor stadium with real grass in it so we can host international-level soccer games and not be ashamed of our bucolic (but pretty) little pitch in the park at Swangard;
Need I go on? This is not "the best of all possible worlds" Lita.

I take it you havent made it to a Lions game this season inside B.C. place. They have installed Fifa sanctioned and approved turf.

Brasil and England friendly, September 22 7:00 kickoff- B.C. place.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Luc:

No, I haven't made it out to a Lions game yet this year, but I did know about the turf. I was also told that the U17s games HAD to be played on real grass, though, hence the need for a new facility. Do you know different?

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
stew said:
the right NOT to have to put up with unreasonable "search and seizures" when I take a bottle of wine with me to the August fireworks (and which stays unopened until AFTER I get to my brother's place near Kits Point
Stew, why don't you just drink your Bro's wine?

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Mike:

Not the point, really...it was a present for him and his wife; at least it was until our "forces sworn to serve and protect":rolleyes: decided to remove it from my possession (in a gift bag inside my backpack).

Yeah, yeah - life sucks.....

beerZ,

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fastshow said:
Genius, rumours that TTP was a pile of shite are clearly unfounded.

Lita for Prime Minister.

It takes a special kind of woman to be able to imagine large yet condensed events. And three cheers for anyone who agrees something is utterly uneffective but is willing to carry on doing it anyway. Who said there wasn't comedy in severe mental retardation? It made my day reading that.

Thank God the stupid and the bigotted have TTP.

GTF.

We don't and won't have an stadium for international matches because our teams aren't good enough. Until the football is good enough, there will be no stadium.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sorry, but Vancouver is heaven. Has anybody been to West Belfast lately? If you haven't you should, and then come back on this thread and rip Vancouver. :D

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0