Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh Canada, poor Bangladesh

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I’ve played baseball at a high level up to high school, and it is a tough game, physically and mentally.
]So did I and are you fcuking serious? Two words. Kirby Pucket.

The fat fcuk.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
OK....so what's the big difference on a skill and physicality level?

Thanks for your worthless input, cnut.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I don't know. I've never played Cricket. I was just picking on your AWFUL description of how you viewed baseball. It's probably why it was the ONLY thing I quoted.

You're welcome. Cnut.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It's probably only the toughest sport to make it as a pro. More skill based, that's for sure, but it is a difficult sport that way.

Besides, you're a cnut. Cnut.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think golf is tougher to make it as a pro. Think of it . . . in baseball you have to hit that little ball anywhere into a huge park; in golf you have to hit that ball into a tiny little hole.

I mean . . . baseball has always been easier for me. Golf is hard as fcuk.

Stands to reason, anyways.

Fastshow

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
breaking records.........

At least Canada will go down in history now..............until they outdo themselves in their next match, presumably.

At least they beat Scotland..........

Sri Lanka reached their target of 37 in just 4.4 overs to complete a stunning nine-wicket win over Canada in Group B in Paarl.

Having dismissed Canada for the lowest-ever one-day international total, Sri Lanka swept home in rapid fashion, taking 4.4 overs, for the loss of only captain Sanath Jayasuriya for nine.

Canada, defending a pitiful total, had no answer to the Sri Lanka batsmen inside the first three overs as they raced to 23.

Canada's Sri Lankan-born opener Sanjayan Thuraisingam then trapped Jayasuriya leg before for nine but Marvan Atapattu (24) saw his side home.

Not one Canadian batsman managed to get into double figures as the Sri Lankan bowling quartet of Chaminda Vaas, Prabath Nissanka, Muttiah Muralitharan and Dilhara Fernando blew them away, dismissing the North Americans for 36 inside 19 overs.

Nissanka led the way with figures of four for 12 off seven overs while the in-form Vaas picked up three victims for just 15 runs, also from seven overs.

The previous worst one-day international total was the 38 that Zimbabwe made against Sri Lanka in Colombo in 2001.

Canada had also set the previous lowest World Cup total after being reduced to 45 by England at Old Trafford in 1979.

Vaas continued his devastating bowling form. Both opening bowlers were on hat-tricks at one stage of the innings, but neither could match Vaas' feat against Bangladesh earlier in the tournament.

Vaas had taken a hat-trick with the first three balls of the match and four wickets in the first over of the game against Bangladesh in Pietermaritzburg, finishing with figures of six for 18 in that match.

While the Canadians survived the first over in this match, everything started to go wrong in the second over when John Davison was dismissed for nought, trapped leg before by Nissanka with the total also still on nought.

Vaas got into the act in the fifth over when he trapped Fazil Samad leg before without scoring.

With the final ball of his fourth over Vaas induced an edge from Desmond Chumney (9) and with the first ball of the next over he trapped Ian Billcliff leg before for one with the score on 12 for four.

He was on a hat-trick again but Canadian captain Joe Harris managed to survive the hat-trick ball.

Canada's struggles continued as Nissanka trapped both Nicholas de Groot and Ishwar Maraj leg before with the first two balls of his fifth over.

He also missed out on a hat-trick but Canada were in deep trouble at 12 for six.

Harris lifted the gloom when he drove Vaas through the covers from successive balls to bring the 20 up.

Nissanka got Harris (9) in the next over when he hit his wicket.

The Canadians got no relief from the change bowlers.

Muttiah Muralitharan and Dilhara Fernando both claimed wickets from their first overs.

Muralitharan wrapped up the innings when he bowled Austin Codrington for a duck.

Fastshow

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
result.......

Sri Lanka won on pennoes 6-5 after extra time on a converted touchdown.

Over = A period of either six or eight balls.

Sri Lanka v Canada
Paarl
ICC World Cup - Pool B

Sri Lanka beat Canada by 9 wkts.

Sri Lanka innings
Batsman Runs Balls 4s 6s
MS Atapattu not out 24 14 4 -
ST Jayasuriya lbw b Thuraisingam 9 10 1 -
KC Sangakkara not out 4 4 1 -
Extras 0b 0lb 0w 0nb 0
TOTAL: 1 wkts , 4.4 overs 37
Fall of wickets: 1-23 (23 Jayasuriya, 10 mins)
To bat: H P Tillakaratne, D P M D Jayawardene, P A de Silva, R P Arnold, W P U J C Vaas, C R D Fernando, M Muralitharan, R A P Nissanka
Bowler O M R W
S Thuraisingam 2.4 0 22 1
J M Davison 2 0 15 0

Canada innings
Batsman Runs Balls 4s 6s
D Chumney c Sangakkara b Vaas 9 25 2 -
JM Davison c Sangakkara b Nissanka 0 4 - -
AF Sattaur lbw b Vaas 0 10 - -
IS Billcliff lbw b Vaas 1 9 - -
NA de Groot lbw b Nissanka 0 2 - -
JV Harris hit wkt b Nissanka 9 13 2 -
I Maraj lbw b Nissanka 0 1 - -
A Bagai c Jayawardene b C R D Fernando 6 25 - -
S Thuraisingam lbw b C R D Fernando 6 15 1 -
A Codrington b Muralitharan 0 9 - -
BB Seebaran not out 0 - - -
Extras 0b 2lb 2w 1nb 5
TOTAL: all out , 18.4 overs 36

Fall of wickets: 1-0 (0 Davison, 6 mins), 2-6 (6 Sattaur, 11 mins), 3-11 (5 Chumney, 11 mins), 4-12 (1 Billcliff, 1 mins), 5-12 (0 de Groot, 8 mins), 6-12 (0 Maraj, - mins), 7-21 (9 Harris, 6 mins), 8-31 (10 Thuraisingam, 18 mins), 9-36 (5 Bagai, 13 mins), 10-36 (0 Codrington, - mins)

Bowler O M R W
W P U J C Vaas 7 4 15 3
R A P Nissanka 7 1 12 4
M Muralitharan 2.4 0 3 1
C R D Fernando 2 0 4 2

Sri Lanka won the toss and decided to field.

tiner

Dec 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
congratulations

Wonderful to hear the news that Canada now has a world record in cricket.

Australia holds a world record score (highest) in International hockey(v's New Zealand) so now the world has balance.:wa:

tiner

Dec 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
cricket v baseball

speaking as a spectator : been to both live cricket (international) and baseball(seattle) the speed / interest level about the same. the crowd at cricket is waaaaay more interesting

but the skill required to hit a 80+ MPH fastball is significant

maybe....but brett lee(aussie fast bowler ) bowls balls at an average of 146 km/h - 150 km/h(i refuse to convert...we use metric in the real world.)

also it is considered weak to bowl balls that a great batsman cant hit. we aussies cant stand watching a batter get deliberately walked in baseball. this would be considered cheating in cricket.(ref. underarm bowling incident from the 70's - NZ STILL pissed about that!!)

thank you for your time.

One Dart

Feb 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
It's not considered cheating in baseball. It's considered strategy.
And just to let you know, 146-150kph is roughly around 91 or 92 mph which would be a below average fastball in the major leagues.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well said.

Keeper: I get the impression that you’re perhaps referring to softball, or underhand. I may be wrong (you may be actually referring to baseball). People often confuse one with the other, and they are entirely different. Softball guy is right up there with curling guy, as far as athleticism and skill level go.

If you've ever had the opportunity to hit heat like 90-95 MPH, you'll know that it is first of all intimidating as hell. It hurts enough to get plunked, but if a fastball like that ever were to get away from the pitcher and hit you...could be serious damage.

Second, the ball passes in a blink. The better hitters have the bat-speed to recognize a fastball as it is released, and to not only catch up, but also make contact. On top of that, good pitchers will still place the ball anywhere they want in the strike zone. Now, take that to the majors where everyone can do this, and the better hitters are the guys that the hardest throwers will either throw around, or try and get them with anything but the heat. The hitters in the majors now are fcuken unreal. For the vast majority of us, hitting 90+ MPH is just a lucky guess.

Finally, hitting an overhand throw is more difficult than hitting an underhand throw. You have greater pitch selection, and can get more action on the ball. I find it far easier to recognize a ball in windmill (underhand, larger ball) than in baseball. For my liking, windmill is far easier than real baseball, even though the balls are thrown almost as hard.

The higher a level you play in baseball, the more pure skill and the speed of the game weed out a lot of very good players. Your skills need to be precision, and reaction immediate.

Anyhow, sorry to take this off topic…just an attempt to understand cricket is all.

peter

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Au contraire

Dude,

I'm a little confused by your last statement regarding the ease of hitting a windmill vs. overhand.

You can make a softball move waaay more than a hardball. Thrown skillfully, it can start at your knees and end up at your eyes. A knuckleball can go anywhere.

I'm not sure of the exact physics but I think it has to do with the ball having less mass than a hardball.

Another difference is the distance between the plate and the rubber. You're quite a bit closer in fastball.

I would have to say that hitting a fastball is as hard as hitting a hardball if they're both thrown by worldclass pitchers.

And, to be at least remotely on topic, having never been stumped, I have no idea how either compares to trying to hit a left-hander's googly.

Fastshow

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
poofs.......

Anyhow, sorry to take this off topic…just an attempt to understand cricket is all.

Sounded like it. Either that or you were getting all misty eyed about your glory years playing rounders for fat cnuts in pyjamas.

Carry on trying to understand cricket. It's like watching a fcuking Kevin Costner film.

Jinky

Jun 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fastshow,

I hear that Squash is a very popular sport in the UK.

I was wondering if you could explain the difference between it and Jai Alai which I played at the professional level during high school.

This is not a piss-take, just an attempt to understand Squash is all.

ps My prowess afforded me the latinas of my choice.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I would have to say that hitting a fastball is as hard as hitting a hardball if they're both thrown by worldclass pitchers.

Give it a rest. No chance...if that were true, fastball would be played in the majors, not baseball.

BTW: why does softball or fastball guy always refer to baseball as hardball?

At the end of all this, I still don't understand cricket. And you're right- they were all fat cnuts.

One Dart- let's not get stupid...if cicket is boring to watch, so is baseball. About as much fun as watching rugby.

Fastshow

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
dullard.......

Why'd you edit out the bit where you took Jinky to task on his Jai Alai retrospection? Coward.

Squash is a popular drink in the UK which you dilute with water. It comes in several flavours including lemon, peach, apple/pear, and orange. Refreshing.

Fcuk's a soft/hardball guy look like? I now have a mental image I really wish you hadn't planted in ma heed. There should be laws.

I'll take you down Brockton Oval this summer to watch some cricket with the Gaffa and Boycs. Even Regs has been in the Brockton Pavillion. Then again, seeing as cricket is a proper man's game (not a soft or hardball man's game), by the final few overs you'll be so pissed on real beer (not Schlitz or Coors Triple Extra Lite or the shite softballers drink out of styrofoam cups) you'll end up shitting yourself. Just the way Regs did.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Actually, I didn't. I edited so I could add this:

One Dart- let's not get stupid...if cicket is boring to watch, so is baseball. About as much fun as watching rugby.

Jai Alai?:confused: There's no comback for that.

Fastshow

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
bollocks.......

There's no comback for that.

There's a comback for everything. There's even a comeback for most.

Now you're accusing Jinky of killing a thread a la keeper and leaving the rest of us with less to go on than Regs at a dreadlock convention.

He'll not be happy about this insinuation, just you wait 'til he gets up. You'll be for it. Accusing a poster of such things is tantamount to posting in the Dear Jinky thread uninvited. And look what happens to the bell-ends who do that. Just look.

I wish Holland had beaten Australia today. I've had it up to here (ie: very fcuknig high) with Aussies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0