Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh Canada, poor Bangladesh

peter

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Righteous Dude...

I've played both baseball and fastball and the reason fastball isn't a pro sport is the ball hardly ever gets hit when played at a high level which makes the game pretty dull to watch. A lot of bunting...

peter

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Baseball...gay?

10. getting picked off

9. taking a pitch at 3-0

8. turning a double play

7. the head-first slide

6. getting doubled up

5. stealing home (or third or second)

4. the squeeze play

3. having a cannon from deep center

2. coming inside on him

1. playing a little chin music

lastofftopicpost

Fastshow

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
quality......

playing a little chin music

I have no idea what that means in the context of rounders for fat bastards in pyjamas but it's a wonderful turn of phrase. Even if it is as bent as Michael Jackson's babysitting service.

On topic, playing off stump, bowling a googly, and silly mid-off are all substantially gay cricket terms.

Ripe and tangy are also gay-as-a-jamboree. This is, of course, in keeping with Jinky's nod to the pleasures of drinking squash and therefore on topic. Thank Christ I don't have to moderate myself. There would be something implicitly gay about that too.

peter

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fasty,

When you're crowding the plate the opposing pitcher may choose to play a little chin music on you to try and get you to back off a little so he can paint one on the corner down and away. Sometimes they miss by a little bit. Tony Conigliaro comes to mind...

Four years earlier, Conigliaro had contributed to the Boston Red Sox's pennant hopes by hitting 20 home runs and driving in 67 runs through his first 95 games of the season.  Then, on August 18, with Boston three-and-a-half games out in the American League race, the Red Sox opposed Conigliaro's future team, the Angels.  Conigliaro faced right-hander Jack Hamilton, whose pitching repertoire was highlighted by a rising fastball he liked to throw on the inner half of the plate.  On this occasion, Hamilton's fastball rode too high and too far inside, striking Conigliaro in the face. The high-and-tight fastball fractured Conigliaro?s cheekbone, dislocated his jaw, and damaged his left eye and eye socket.  The impact of the pitch was so severe that it knocked Conigliaro unconscious and landed him in a hospital, where his condition was deemed so grave that he was actually given the last rites. Fortunately, Conigliaro emerged from a coma and ultimately recovered, but the injuries necessitated major eye surgery and forced him to miss the remainder of the 1967 season and all of 1968.

apansysportindeed

Fastshow

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
(David) justice.........

Conigliaro emerged from a coma......

At least after that he knew what those forced to watch the fcuking game have to endure. What a pro.

Tony Conigliaro comes to mind...

I hate to say it, Pierre, but that's pretty gay in itself..............

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I hate to say it, Pierre...

As far as phrases written by swashbuckling fruitcakes go, that one is right up there.;)

Peter's top 10 speaks loudly. Suffice to say, I think it is a game you'd have to have played to really appreciate the finer points (like cricket, I'm sure). On top of this, it takes real courage to crowd the plate and expose yourself to an errant fastball. Besides the pure skill of it, this is one of the major differences between good hitters and great hitters.

I shutter to think of the number of times I've been concussed through either soccer, baseball, or DH (you know Fasty, pushing around that suped up tricycle of mine)...a case for memory loss for sure.

I shutter to think of the number of times I've been concussed through either soccer, baseball, or DH (you know Fasty, pushing around that suped up tricycle of mine)...a case for memory loss for sure.

the power

Feb 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Now we have another record.

Davison sets record in Canada loss

Canadian Press

2/23/2003

PRETORIA, South Africa (CP-AP) - Canadian John Davison made cricket history with the fastest World Cup century ever but wound up on the losing side as the West Indies raced to a seven-wicket victory Sunday.

Davison's storming 111 off 76 balls accounted for more than half of Canada's total of 202. And his innings ranks the fifth fastest amongst all one-day centuries, tied with Pakistan's Basit Ali.

Davison, 32, who plays for South Australia in the Australian domestic first-class cricket league, hit seven fours and six sixes in the maiden hundred by a Canadian in one-day cricket.

His 111, which included one more boundary, came in 98 minutes.

The previous highest individual innings for Canada belonged to Ian Billcliff, who scored 71 off 100 balls against Kenya at Newlands last week.

"It was a great experience for me," said Davison. "I suppose that playing for Canada gives me an opportunity I wouldn't get in Australia.

"I didn't really have any plans of going out there and letting it fly. The batting track was great and I think the West Indies bowlers came at it hard and I got an opportunity to hit a few loose balls."

After the Canadians had crumbled from 156 for three to 202 all out, the West Indies reached the modest target in less than 21 overs.

Star West Indies batsman Brian Lara made 73 off 40 balls and opener Wavell Hinds signalled a return to form, hitting 64 in 31 deliveries including 10 boundaries and three sixes.

The loss dropped Canada to 1-3 at the tournament.

Davison's big hitting more than made up for his team's dismal 36 all out against Sri Lanka last week for the worst one-day performance by any team in international one-day cricket.

This time the first wicket didn't fall until 96 when Davison's opening partner Ishwar Maraj was out for 16.

Playing only his fourth one-day match, Davison reached his century with a massive six to mid-on off pace bowler Mervyn Dillon to thunderous applause by a decidedly pro-Canada crowd of about 10,000 at the Centurion Supersports Park.

His 100 came in 86 minutes off 67 balls, It was the fastest ever at the World Cup, beating former Indian captain Kapil Dev's century in 72 balls against Zimbabwe in 1983.

Davison hit one more boundary before getting out to Hinds, called in by captain Carl Hooper as a desperate measure to stop the Canadian run flow.

In a highly entertaining match, a total of 43 boundaries and 15 sixes were hit by both sides, Hooper's West Indies hitting 27 of the boundaries and eight of the sixes.

Once Davison was out in the 23rd over with the score at 156 for three, the Canadian innings ended in disarray with the remaining seven wickets falling for 46 runs. The last four batsmen got out in the last over by fast bowler Vasbert Drakes - three wickets went to his credit and one was run out.

Drakes was the chief destroyer for West Indies, finishing with figures of five wickets for 44 runs. He also took one of the best catches of the tournament to dismiss Davison, hurling himself backwards in the air on the long-on boundary, to not only stop a certain six but also to ensure that the ball remained stuck to his right palm as he hit the ground just short of the rope.

Davison rattled the West Indies early on, punishing pace bowler Pedro Collins in the fourth over of the innings after being hit on the ankle and ducking a bouncer. Davison dispatched Collins over the gully with a swatted cut and then for a six, the over resulting in 15 runs.

The West Indies began the run chase efficiently with Hinds taking 14 runs off Davis Joseph in the third over. A flick off his leg was followed by a straight drive for two boundaries and a six between mid-wicket and mid-on and it showed a return to form after making a duck, 14 and 18 in the last three matches.

But his partner, Chris Gayle, continued with his bad form, being caught behind for eight with the score at 32.

Lara and Hinds belted the toothless Canadian bowling to share a 100-run partnership in 46 balls, however. Lara made 26 runs in one over off Barry Seebaran, hitting a four, a six, a four and two sixes. In all, he hit eight fours and five sixes before being bowled by Nicholas de Groot in his first over.

Despite the West Indies victory, the day belonged to Davison who demolished the West Indies' main strike bowlers to gain the man of the match award.

Davison, one of the few Canadians who plays cricket professionally, - scored 35 runs off new ball bowler Dillon including three successive boundaries, 27 off Drakes, 18 off Hooper and 17 off Collins.

Davison and Maraj carried Canada to 37 without loss in the sixth over, bettering the record low the team had set against Sri Lanka when they were bowled out for the lowest ever one-day international score by any team.

Davison's onslaught forced Hooper to rearrange the field several times but to no avail. His 90-minute stay on the field was not only entertaining but also lucky as he had three lives.

One of the misses was a rare occurrence in cricket. Davison mistimed a drive off Collins, and the ball bounced off his pad before hitting the leg stump but failed to dislodge the bails.

Boycs

Jul 24, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Cricket v. Baseball

I haven't been on in a while so I need to help Fasty out here with a defence of cricket.

First of all, in all seriousness, although I know the piss takes are coming. In principle cricket and baseball are very similar, you trying to hit a ball propelled by another guy with a bit of wood, you score by hitting it safely and then running to another point on the field.

So, why is cricket a superior game. First of all, if you get hit by that slightly below average fastball, you are expected to shake it off and keep going, none of this namby-pamby charging the bowler. And guys do get killed occasionally by getting hit. Now, you do get a bit more padding than your average baseball player, although not any more than Bonds seems to wear.

Second, the ball bounces. Which given that the ball has a big seam on it means that it can bounce at different heights and may change direction. This provides a range of possibilities that simply don't exist in baseball, and all the movement a baseball pitcher can get a bowler in cricket can manage through the air as well. Because we get a bigger bat hitting a major league fastball with a round bat has to be one of the most difficult things in sport, harder than batting in cricket. But, they only have to do it 30 percent of the time, in cricket its closer to 90 percent.

If you're good you get to keep going. Unless you're out you get to keep batting, this alone makes the game more aerobic than baseball, in baseball terms its like hitting a triple, scoring and then batting again.

Finally, you can hit the ball in 360 degrees and the fielders have to catch it without the assistance of gloves, yep, all barehanded.

All in all a superior game. Although it does take a while to play.

Fastshow

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
the truth fcuking hurts........

This appeal was sent to me. I'm angered that no government will step in and it is left to the good will of human beings.

Paul is 33 years old and lives in England, one of the world's poorest sporting countries. This once proud nation has fallen to
un-imaginable lows, well below anything that you or I could
understand. Almost on a daily basis these people refer to sporting achievements that occurred nearly forty years ago, we cannot allow this to continue.
There are hundreds of thousands of people like Paul waiting to finally support an England team that will win. If you want to help improve the life of a person like Paul, become an England Supporter Sponsor. As an England Supporter Sponsor, you will
receive a photo and details of the poor unfortunate England supporter you are sponsoring.
We are dedicated to improving the quality of life of the world's
poorest sporting nation. When you sponsor an England Supporter, the effects of your kindness spread across the whole community. You will provide life's essentials like a decent cricket team, a basic Olympic team, a consistent football team, a netball team, non-choking tennis players, and a rugby team that can win the games that count. However, this will not be a short process, let's face it, most of us will be dead before England have a team to be proud of, but we must try.

You can start sponsoring an England Supporter today by completing an application. If you do, you will be linked with an England Supporter instantly. There are hundreds of thousands of them out there suffering today more than we will ever know. We'd like to link you with an England Supporter living near you so that they can learn from your example and if you wish you may specify a preference to sponsor a cricket or a football supporter, as these are the ones in the greatest need.

Please think about this request thoughtfully, remember all the great sporting achievements you have witnessed in your life time, many of these England supporters cannot remember one, just the taste of bitter defeat.
This is your opportunity to make a difference in the world, please
don't ignore their plight. Just be thankful that your relatives tried
to steal a loaf of bread once.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts