Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Poaching of Players

Franz Bakingpowder

Aug 1, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I've been coaching girls for the past 2 years now on the Metro girls side and I am amazed at how some club coaches attempt to "poach" players to their teams. I've coached on the boys side for many years and never had heard of this occuring so much.

This week, I even had an opposition coach phone the daughter of my Team Manager twice asking her to come play! This team even finished lower in the standings then us! Truly amazing! (All the players they called didn't go to their tryouts and did stay at our club however)

Why don't these coaches just try to develop their own players and have success rather then calling the top few players of each local team in the attempt to create a competitive team.

Do they really think they are a good coach because they recruit their teams? Is this coaching behaviour encouraged by BC Soccer's Coaching Ethics & Conduct? ;)

I understand there are import rules only allowing three "out of district" players but the districts usually have 3 Metro teams in it anyways.

No wonder the game struggles...especially when you got muppets involved doing these sorts of things!

Franz...getting frustrated! :mad:

Franz Bakingpowder

Aug 1, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
my club asked me to and I have really enjoyed coaching them and decided to make a commitment to the girls side of the program for a few years. Just hate all these politics that's going on. Is it me or are the politics more frequent in girls soccer?

Franz

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hey Franz, Do not get involve with Captain, he's the biggest poacher in the girls soccer :D:D

You've been advised.

Absolutely........Pacific, send me a PM with the latest players I'm trying to poach. It will be our little secret. Promise.

Franz, it is a joke. I know there has been a situation in the U-18 level going on where one team is trying to grab the best of the opposition in order to have a run at the U-18 National title. Sadly, it happens and will continue to happen at this level until PARENTS stop such things. Getting players who are signed to anyone is one thing but to go to other teams and start 'poaching' players......out of line.

ghouse

May 30, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Guys Im 44 years old and when I was 16 it happened to our team waay out in Kelowna. A team trying to make a move towards what ever they felt was important to them at that time. Its been going on for years,,sad part for us was our 2 best players and friends jumped ship. We never hung out again. I remember cause years later I ran into one of them in the bar and he told me he wanted to stay with us, his buddys but his parents made him change teams. He said he wanted to still hang out but just couldnt cause he shared rides then with different families and was sort of forced into a differnt group. To bad. My point is its just not a soccer team the kids change and leave behind when they change teams. It truely changes thier lives.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Typically happens when the parent's live their ambitions through their kids.

Nothing new...it's just the girl's game is growing in leaps and bounds now, and this problem is getting more exposure because of it.

robj

Lifetime Better Bastard
Nov 10, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
POACHING HAPPENS ALL THE TIME! Who cares. Just look at some of the VMSL Premier teams.

Tjis happens in all sports hockey being a big one.

wizard_id

Feb 24, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
It's unfortunate, but parents take kids soccer too seriously. When I was 16 in Port Alberni, our age group's league was destroyed by the idea of forming rep teams for inter-city play. We went from 4 teams down to 2 when this happened. Half the kids quit soccer when they weren't chosen for the rep team. So we ended up with one A team (rep team) and one B Team.

The rep team idea didn't even work well because they lost most of their games. And, not to mention, some of the guys who made the rep team got very swelled heads.

In my opinion, kids soccer should be more about fun and friendships, as GHOUSE said.

badknees7

Sep 15, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
It's unfortunate, but parents take kids soccer too seriously. When I was 16 in Port Alberni, our age group's league was destroyed by the idea of forming rep teams for inter-city play. We went from 4 teams down to 2 when this happened. Half the kids quit soccer when they weren't chosen for the rep team. So we ended up with one A team (rep team) and one B Team.

The rep team idea didn't even work well because they lost most of their games. And, not to mention, some of the guys who made the rep team got very swelled heads.

In my opinion, kids soccer should be more about fun and friendships, as GHOUSE said.

Can't agree with you more!! There is nothing wrong with the competitiveness

but let's face it,it's just a game.Go out,have fun,do your best and when you

are old enough, enjoy the post-game pints!!!

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
This coming from a man who played for the most stacked youth team ever compiled?

And you can take your Delta Sports Hall of Fame entry and North American finalist medal and shove them up your ass Shutts.

:D

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fcuk it...push your kids to the limits and ride on their coat tails! Threads like this one are meant for parents with kids that are average at sports and I probably shouldn't post here. I have a 22 month old daughter that will be better then all your kids at sports ...especially Dude and Chucks. But when you look at it it's not really their kids fault as having two dads has to be tough.

badknees7

Sep 15, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
This coming from a man who played for the most stacked youth team ever compiled?

And you can take your Delta Sports Hall of Fame entry and North American finalist medal and shove them up your ass Shutts.

:D

Born and raised North Deltan.Played with the same guys for how many years?

I was a player,not a coach.I leave those decisions to upper management.

C'mon Fwase,kick it harder.Wah,wah,wah!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0