Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Poker - sport or not a sport?

Is poker a sport?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wikipedia says:

Sport is an activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively. Sports commonly refer to activities where the physical capabilities of the competitor are the sole or primary determinant of the outcome (winning or losing), but the term is also used to include activities such as mind sports (a common name for some card games and board games with little to no element of chance) and motor sports where mental acuity or equipment quality are major factors. Sport is commonly defined as an organized, competitive and skillful physical activity requiring commitment and fair play.

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Poker is a game...not a sport. Sport to me means physical movement from an athelete. The most these guys do is when they say all in and they push chips.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents is not sporting.

Playing cards of any kind is definitely not a sport. Drinking is more of a sport; you get more exercise lifting glasses than cards.:D

Throwing darts is not a sport, although catching them might be considered one. Playing pool is not a sport either. Neither is bowling.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Listening to the Pratt vs. Taylor podcast now.

Absurde to call either a sport, but at least golf involves a physical and skill element.

robj

Lifetime Better Bastard
Nov 10, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Poker is a game...not a sport. Sport to me means physical movement from an athelete.

So how do you explain baseball. Bunch of fat fcuks throwing or hitting a ball. Ya Babe Ruth what an athlete. Same as golf no one walks the course they just drive carts. Shite darts and bowling have more movement then golf or baseball. :D

bergamascho

Nov 16, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ehhhh....don't know what you're looking at when you watch baseball but aside from pitchers, them sons o'bitches is fit (PEDs or not) and actually go through a pretty long season. Sure Babe Ruth and the old generations weren't as fit but like in any sport there has been progression. Look at Tiger Woods, dude is pretty fit and muscular.

But back to the topic, poker is not a "sport" in the same sense as soccer let's say but it does require particular skills and is competitive. That gives some credibility to it as a form of sport, physical or not.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
No, it doesn't.

If Tiger Woods played poker, would that make it a sport? What a stretch...he's fit, therefore it's a sport.

There's this guy I see every morning...damn fit...he sketches caricatures. Caricaturing, by your way of thinking, must also be a sport.

Seriously- he has a 6 pack.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Can you find cards in the sporting goods section at department stores? no... but you can find golf clubs. You find the cards with the games and toys, you aren't finding your new Callaway Biog Bertha beside the Tonka Trucks. ;)

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
There's this guy I see every morning...damn fit...he sketches caricatures. Caricaturing, by your way of thinking, must also be a sport.

Seriously- he has a 6 pack.
Errrr, so let me get this straight.... you're watching a lad draw cartoons, everyday, with his shirt off? Dude, TTP time out.

Golf is a game that requires athleticism. You can be fat and athletic. Ask RF

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wow. That was epically ghey.

BTW- according to you guys, wiffle ball- also a sport.

I'm sure that's spelled wrong.

The Franchise

Lifetime Better Bastard
TTP Bookie Staff
Sep 7, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I figure if you can make millions playing it then you can make argument it is a sport....

There is never going to be an agreement.

The Franchise

Lifetime Better Bastard
TTP Bookie Staff
Sep 7, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
You're right.

Technically then, a stockbroker is a proffessional athlete.

Very true...anyone can be considered an athlete...hell even you:D;):eek:

My point is there is never going to be an agreement on the matter.

Poker does have the world series....a week of pure sport or game ;)

Kevin Hector

Apr 9, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
So how do you explain baseball. Bunch of fat fcuks throwing or hitting a ball. Ya Babe Ruth what an athlete. Same as golf no one walks the course they just drive carts. Shite darts and bowling have more movement then golf or baseball. :D

So Robj when is your tryout with the Yankees??? I can't wait to see you break the Babe's records:rolleyes:

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts