Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Premier League 2002/2003 vs. Premier/1st Div in 1980's

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I just finished watching the 1986 FA Cup final in which Liverpool beat Everton. There were a few things that came to mind while watching this 'classic':

1) I saw more Mickey Gilleys than I needed to thanks to the shoc-king shorts they were wearing. (Did I actually wear shorts like that?)

2) The pace of the game appeared to be significantly slower than today's game.

3) The skill level appears to be MUCH higher today than it was during this time.

4) There were a lot more long balls played during the 80's, especially for the number one and two teams(Liv/Ever) that year.

5) The goalkeepers seem to be more solid in today's game too. I'm not just judging by the Everton/Liverpool game.

6) There were more players who appeared to be out of shape in the 80's. Jan Molby, Kenny Dalglish(granted he was player/manager), and Craig Johnston weren't exactly petite. Then again, it could have been the shoc-king shorts, which made Gary Lineker's arse look like Rikishi's, or even worse, One Dart's. ;)

7) Obviously, the amount of foreign players in today's game is huge compared to this time. This, like the European's coming to the NHL, has brought the standard up, which is good for all spectators.

Any thoughts on this, gentlemen. I know it is hard to compare eras BUT it was very noticeable when watching that final today on my NEW DIGITAL CABLE. :)

Captain

Aves

Jan 5, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Captain,
I'm not an expert on English football past vs. present but I've heard over the years comparisons between past vs. present football at various levels... and the fitness, strength, and speed of modern football players is clearly superior...similar to canadian hockey standards now vs. the days of Guy Lafleur.
World class players back then would still be world class today because they would compete at a higher level of intensity.
Not that it's a completely moot point but I think the modern era in any sport surpasses past glory eras.

side note: I've also heard talk about the vmsl present vs past (and the fvsl) and some people question today's standard as questionable vs. the days of ______( fill in the blank)

perhaps players seemed like they had more skill/talent because they had more time on the ball...??

evenballbaby'sflannelplaidlookedgoodinthe80's:rolleyes:

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Aves,

That digital camera of yours is state of the art technology and every modern day techno-wizard knows that if my shirt was truly 80's material, your camera could not process the picture. It's like putting a videotape into a DVD. It can't be done. Therefore my shirt must be modern, state- of-the-art as well. Capiche?:eek:

And how the hell could you tie my shirt into this thread? And the least you could do was edit the picture, red eye (at least without making me look like I should be wearing a hockey helmet), blurrs and all. :mad:

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Therefore my shirt must be modern, state- of-the-art as well. Capiche?

Ballbaby,

The photo tells it all. It is NOT modern OR state-of-the-art.

Aves,

Interesting comment about VMSL/FVSL leagues in the past. I have watched a few premier games over the last two years and the pace is not quicker than it was 10 - 15 years ago. I'm sure WAB could comment on this because he is still playing in the league. In the VMSL's case, the league is watered down now, so that obviously hinders the standard too. I guess it is kind of like expansion in the NHL, which meant a lot of teams had to adapt boring trapping styles of hockey.

Jinky

Jun 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I can't believe all the fuss being made over Ballbaby's clothing.

Spiro, they are al jealous. If your "companion" likes what you're wearing then that's all that matters right?

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Nice vest???

Does it resemble anything like Cerebral smallsy's??? I guess we'll be calling you MacBallbaby from now on???:p

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0