Premier league cup

Discussion in 'MWSL' started by Gooner21, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Gooner21

Gooner21 New Member

Est:
    Aug 29, 2009
    TTP Credits:
    Dirty Money:
    $100.00
    Any thoughts on the cup draw?

2. Captain Shamrock

Captain Shamrock Well-Known Member

Est:
    Jul 20, 2001
    TTP Credits:
    Dirty Money:
    $100.00
    Yah, pretty shitty. :D

3. Fat Bastard

Fat Bastard New Member

Est:
    Aug 13, 2002
    TTP Credits:
    Dirty Money:
    $100.00
    With only nine teams there's not much to do with it. And by the looks of it, all but one team makes the next round. It's more games I guess. I like the fact we're playing it now though. It shakes things up during the dog days of the season.

4. Gooner21

Gooner21 New Member

Est:
    Aug 29, 2009
    TTP Credits:
    Dirty Money:
    $100.00
    Not sure of the purpose behind playing a round robin grouping of games when 8 of the 9 teams make the knockout stage anyways? I guess it's more games, but I'd rather pick up some exhibitions with U16 boys teams or the Whitecaps prospects on free weekends than see a team 3 or 4 times in a few months if you combine league play.
    But a bottom of the barrel team will now get 3 group games and at least a knockout round and a consolation game...so could realistically go 0-5 in cup play and that seems absurd.
    I'd have preferred straight to a knockout round with no group play....last two teams just get a play-in game and have top 4 seeds in an 8 team draw...then a consolation round to ensure everyone gets at least 2 cup games. And I'd rather have just seen this format in March which would mean quarters/semis/finals over 3 or 4 weeks which would be a perfect amount of prep for provincial cup play in April. To play pointless groups games in Dec/Jan/Feb when it's below 0 or raining doesn't make for the best footie.
    Oh well, as we were new this year, we didn't say much at the meeting but next year I guess we can make some suggestions....

5. Fat Bastard

Fat Bastard New Member

Est:
    Aug 13, 2002
    TTP Credits:
    Dirty Money:
    $100.00
    Coquitlam Metro-Ford - 3
    Westside - 0

Merry Christmas everyone.

6. Gooner21

Gooner21 New Member

Est:
    Aug 29, 2009
    TTP Credits:
    Dirty Money:
    $100.00
    Wow, Coq is on fire. Good on them, those pylons can sure play! Haha, had to get that in.
    Would be nice if we ever get a cup game scheduled....some teams have 2 scheduled and we have none which makes it hard to plan a return to training in the new year if you don't know when you play next. :(
    All the best to all MWSL/TTP'ers....the gooner is off to the land of aloha and 28 degree weather for the holidays!

7. Gooner21

Gooner21 New Member

Est:
    Aug 29, 2009
    TTP Credits:
    Dirty Money:
    $100.00
    Just browsed the cup results/standings. By my calculations using the rules that went out with the initial draw, I believe these will be the match-ups....I could be wrong, but I followed the league's spreadsheet placing the top 3 seeds (group winners) and then 4 through 8 in the deisgnated spots:

Top half
    Coquitlam v Richmond
    Surrey v Langley

Bottom half
    North Shore v North Coquitlam
    Burnaby v Westside

Richmond gets in due to the fact they scored a goal in round robin....they tied with White Rock on goal difference but WR didn't have a GF on record.
    If I'm right, this would be an interesting draw with the top half containing the current league leader, defending BC champs, and BC finalists....I kind of hope this is the draw as we've had enough of Surrey for a while! :)

8. Captain Shamrock

Est:
    Jul 20, 2001
    TTP Credits:
    Dirty Money:
    $100.00
    FFS, what else do we have to do to not carry on in the League Cup? :confused: We figured losing 5 - 0 and 3 - 1 would do it. :D

9. Fat Bastard

Fat Bastard New Member

Est:
    Aug 13, 2002
    TTP Credits:
    Dirty Money:
    $100.00
    It's that one goal that did you in. Sorry, mate.

10. Captain Shamrock

Est:
    Jul 20, 2001
    TTP Credits:
    Dirty Money:
    $100.00
    Disappointing to say the least, FB. :D This must be the ONLY League Cup in the world where you can get thumped in succession and still progress. This just hasn't been our year in terms of getting consistent bodies to games.....Ah well, we might have something up our sleeve come cup time. :rolleyes:

11. knaacks

knaacks Member

Est:
    Oct 7, 2007
    TTP Credits:
    Dirty Money:
    $100.00
    Why not just take the round robin winners from each group plus the next highest point total? That would be Coquitlam , Surrey , North Shore and Burnaby( by points ) Have the semi's and get on with the final. Do we need to draw it out further with the 8 teams as Gooner posted? Just my 2 cents.......

12. Captain Shamrock

Est:
    Jul 20, 2001
    TTP Credits:
    Dirty Money:
    $100.00

Couldn't agree more, Knaacks. :) IT is ridiculous to have quarter finals when only 9 teams started. :D

13. Gooner21

Gooner21 New Member

Est:
    Aug 29, 2009
    TTP Credits:
    Dirty Money:
    $100.00
    I was close, had the pairings right....here's the real draw that goes Feb 26-28....

Top half
    Coquitlam v Richmond
    Burnaby v Westside

Bottom half
    North Shore v North Coquitlam
    Surrey v Langley