Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Premier women 2011-12

Blarneystone

Oct 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Surprised nobody has discussed the new women's premier format. Probably the biggest change in many years with a prem-select interlock. Will it save the prem division that was down to 5 teams entering this season? CMF folded too. Discuss.

shaven

Sep 17, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Glad you brought this up Blarney, I've a thought or two on the re-alignment.

From my perspective, this is a case of 'reinventing the wheel'. It really points to how the MWSL makes decisions, and frankly I don't understand it for the most part. Rather than looking at and following the model that has been well-established by the VMSL and FVSL in how divisions are set from the top down, the MWSL has come up with this jerry-rigged format that melds *some of* Selects with the remnants of Premier and then as a result has an two-tier Selects division that makes little sense whatsoever as it is unbalanced for a 14-match schedule (more on that in a later post). The explanation for this makes little sense at all, as it cites increasing competition and more that actually IMO does precisely the opposite.

Making far more sense would have been to promote the best sides from Selects to Premier to make a full 8-side table, and do the same with Selects from Div. 1 to fill those spots left. The same would be done as a trickle-down from Div's 1-4, as after Div. 1 there's no shortage of teams coming up from youth to make this all easily possible. If a team refused the promotion, there's plenty more that would accept it. This would follow the model of the two Men's leagues, and it is a model that works very well so why not copy it? Wait, that would make sense, yes? No wonder it didn't happen.

The Premier division, and Selects, should have integrity and mean something. It is incumbent on the league to make that happen, and from my perspective they've bungled this badly. I'll post more once this thread gets going, see what others have to say on this.

~ Shaven

Blarneystone

Oct 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Good point Shaven, although I don't think this was a case of a bunch of willing select clubs wanting to be promoted, nor a division that was strong and just needed minor tweaking. Sounds like there were a few select clubs that although being top of that division for a few years had no desire to go up (SBAA for one, who've now basically fallen apart because of not wanting to "play premier"). With the new entries who wanted into premier this year (TSS, Fraser Valley, Abby) that have been placed in selects or premier b, they've only "promoted" Surdel, SU Selects and Kerrisdale. So in effect three select clubs were promoted and placed with the prem teams including the new entries. All a bit strange, but I'm more concerned about the long term effects, ie: if you have 11 this year and drop 1 or 3 weak teams off you end up at an 8 or 10 team prem division next year. Wonder if that is the plan?

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts