Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Premiership 2004 -2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlazeArmy

Not Bright
Dec 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sh*t. Not much depth right now with half the club injured.
Solskjaer set to miss entire season

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is set to miss the whole of the forthcoming Barclays Premiership season with a knee injury.
The Manchester Untied striker had an arthroscopy in Sweden yesterday that confirmed the pain the Norwegian experienced in pre-season training was due to damage in his knee cartilage.

A United spokesman confirmed that Solskjaer, who missed virtually all of the last campaign with a similar problem, is set to sit out this season as well.

Today's news will come as a devastating blow to Ferguson, who feared Solskjaer would miss between six weeks and three months of the season and said on Friday he was `optimistic' the operation would clear the problem for good.

Instead, it has raised serious question marks over the 31-year-old's career.

By the time he eventually is fit for action, Solskjaer, whose contract is due to expire in the summer, will have missed virtually two full seasons.

Long-term, it leaves United in the delicate position of whether to offer the man who dramatically won them the European Cup with his injury-time winner against Bayern Munich in 1999 a new contract.

Short-term, however, it leaves Ferguson's plans for the new season in a mess and only increases the possibility of United launching a bid for Everton's Wayne Rooney, although whether this would be before the transfer window closes remains open to considerable doubt.

With Ruud van Nistelrooy and Louis Saha both ruled out until next month, Ferguson will have just two fully fit strikers - Alan Smith and Diego Forlan - on tomorrow's flight to Romania for the Champions League qualifier with Dinamo Bucharest.

BlazeArmy

Not Bright
Dec 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hopefully this goes thru.

Wenger 'surrenders' in Vieira battle

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger's ultimatum to midfielder Patrick Vieira to decide by this weekend if he wants to move to Real Madrid has been taken in the Spanish press as an admission of defeat and that the Frenchman's arrival in Spain is imminent.
In Spain Wenger had until now been portrayed as the main obstacle to the Senegal-born French international's move to Real Madrid.

However, with Vieira's Arsenal and France team-mate Robert Pires saying Vieira wants out the pendulum has tilted back towards Madrid.

Wenger's latest remarks have been taken in the Spanish press as a virtual surrender.

'I want him to be part of the future of this team, but I want him to be clear in his mind, whether his heart is with us or not,' said Wenger.

The Spanish press crowed at what they consider to be Wenger's admission he may lose his player whom he has given a deadline of this weekend to decide.

'Wenger surrenders and gives free rein to Vieira's departure,' headlines Diario AS, which insists it will be hard for Madrid to raise their offer for the player much higher than the £19.95million already reported to be on the table.

AS' main rival Marca carries on in a similar vein, but prefers to centre its story on Vieira's Arsenal team-mate Robert Pires.

'We all want him to stay, but he has chosen and we respect that. I wish him all the luck in the world at the Santiago Bernabeu,' said Pires.

However, although it does now look likely that Vieira will be on his way to Madrid, the paper admits that the midfielder has been 'Florentino Perez's most complicated signing.'

Construction mogul Perez has set the standard for audacious transfer coups with deals for Luis Figo (2000), Zinedine Zidane (2001), Ronaldo (2002) and David Beckham (2003).

Arsenal's reported asking price of £27.95million has made this the most difficult deal for Real to tie up.

If, or when, Vieira finally lands in Madrid, he is certain to find a warm welcome from utility player Ivan Helguera, who wants to see his side tighten up in their defensive duties.

'I don't know if Vieira will come or not, I want the best for Real Madrid and if that means Vieira coming, then I'm delighted,' said Helguera.

Vieira's arrival would do a lot to strengthen the defensive aspect of a side that missed out on winning anything last season because of their weakness at the back.

'Here everyone has to defend, not just the defenders,' Helguera continued.

'The team is weak in defence, not just in the defensive line. Everyone in the side has to defend,' he said, adding that coach Jose Antonio Camacho was the man to help remedy that.

'He did a good job as Spain coach and here you can tell he's in charge,' he said.

And Vieira's signing would no doubt make Camacho's task that little bit easier.

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Owen on verge of move to Madrid
Morientes set to move in other direction
Football Unlimited

Michael Owen was last night on the verge of leaving Liverpool after 13 years at the club with Real Madrid hopeful of completing his cut-price transfer by the weekend.
The England striker is close to joining the ranks of galácticos at the Bernabeu in a deal which is likely to cost the Spanish club no more than £10m, with talks understood to have commenced between the player's representative Tony Stephens and Real in Spain last night. Rafael Benítez is expected to pursue Fernando Morientes in exchange to swell the transfer's overall value to nearer £25m.

Yet that will be of little consolation to Liverpool. Owen's prospective departure will end a tortuous six months of on-off contract negotiations which saw him continually reiterate his desire to remain on Merseyside yet tellingly fail to agree a new deal at Anfield.

The 24-year-old's current contract expires next summer and, with Liverpool due to play their Champions League qualifier against Grazer AK this evening, his procrastination prompted the club to demand a formal response at the weekend. With interest from Real confirmed, they have been forced - if reluctantly - to put the striker effectively up for sale.

If Benitez plays Owen tonight, he would be cup-tied from European competition this season, potentially making him less attractive to suitors - Madrid and Barcelona among them - willing to pay a transfer fee and, as a result, more likely to walk away on a free transfer next summer. Owen travelled with his Liverpool team-mates to Austria yesterday and trained at the Arnold Schwarzenegger Stadium last night. His father Terry, who normally travels with the side, did not make the trip.

"Michael is on the list of players [available for selection], but we will see tomorrow whether he is to play or not," said Benítez last night. "I'd rather not talk about his future until after this match." The Spaniard's squad did not include Danny Murphy, who is close to a £3m move to Charlton. Last night Spurs ended their interest in Murphy and the midfielder is expected to be joined at The Valley by Arsenal's striker Francis Jeffers in a £2m deal.

Liverpool expect to recruit the Spanish international Xabi Alonso from Real Sociedad and Manchester City's Shaun Wright-Phillips and the suspicion remains that they are losing the Merseyside heartbeat to their side. Owen may never have commanded the adulation on the Kop granted Steven Gerrard but he has still become synonymous with the club, not least in its worldwide marketing campaigns of recent years. Benítez must also now convince Gerrard, the club captain who was on the verge of leaving for Chelsea this summer, that Liverpool are still moving forward.

Benítez had been ambiguous in his assessment of Owen's situation before leaving for Austria yesterday. "If we have to do something, it's better to do it," said the Spaniard. "When I arrived at this club I knew Michael wanted to stay here. A month into the job and I knew Michael was very happy here. He likes the way we train, the way we run things, and the way we operate. He's happy. As for me, I like good players.At this moment, Michael will go with the team [to Austria]. He's a player I can use if I want to for this game."

Yet Owen's immediate future will only really be clarified when the Spaniard hands in his teamsheet for tonight's first leg "At Valencia I'd only tell my team who was playing about 30 minutes before kick-off, and they'd take bets as to who was playing," he added. Few will be betting on Owen remaining at Anfield for much longer.

Barcelona were initially considered the likeliest destination but the Catalan club are intent on recruiting Samuel Eto'o and had set a deadline of midnight last night to complete that signing. For their part, Madrid would rather sell their interest in the Cameroonian - who has developed a habit of scoring against Real in recent times - to a foreign club. They boast Raul and Ronaldo as their first-choice strike force but, having loaned the youngster Javier Portillo to Valencia for the season, they have only Morientes in reserve.

Benítez, while at Valencia a year ago, tried to take Morientes on loan but the Spanish striker instead played for Monaco last season. Even though back at Madrid, he had been expected to depart again before the new La Liga season.

For Madrid, the appeal of Owen - who is still England's premier striker - is clear. Although his stock may not be what it once was, his goals tending to come in erratic spurts, he has mustered 158 goals in his 297 appearances for Liverpool He will cost the Spanish club relatively little, and his marketability will fit in with that of his fellow galacticos.

Dapotayto

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Off you go then, Michael.

A year straight of rhetoric stating he'll be signing a new contract any day now has worn thin. Fcuk the Morientes trade though. 20 million quid straight up you fcukers.

Red Forever

Jul 26, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I hear ya! I'm sick of this " I really want to stay" crap. No player is bigger than the club. You knew with Owen that if a Madrid or Barca came in for him he'd be gone.

Still, he is a hero at the club and in my books one of the best forwards in Europe.

Dapotayto

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It seems we'll find out today if he is staying or going when Rafa names his team against Graz. If Owen plays he is cup-tied to 'Pool for all European competitions. I'm betting he ain't playing. 10 mill in bills would be nice if Eto'o came as well, especially seeing as the Reds have launched an official bid for Xabi Alonso. Oh ya, Rafa da Gaffa is working it. A world-class right winger and a centre back to follow soon will have the cnuts (insert Arse, Mancs or Chelsea here) looking over their shoulder. Fcuking loving it.

BlazeArmy

Not Bright
Dec 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
We're looking. We don't see any of you scousers yet. Actually, there may be a faint glimmer of you way behind us but can't really tell.

:D

Dapotayto

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
That's the glimmer of the hospital that's housing all your players. You may want to look ahead of you, big boy.

A new era is about to begin. Luckily for you lot you tied up the Neville brothers for a few more years. That oughtta stem the Red tide, the Russian revolution and the Arseholes.

Red Forever

Jul 26, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I agree that it might be time for Owen to move on but how Liverpool let it get to this point is beyond me. 10 mill for a lad that 2 years ago was valued at 40 mill!! How he is 5 months away from a Bosman is a joke, if he does go they will be getting a steal.
At this point I wonder how Gerrard feels, turns down Chelsea then his two best mates get sold(maybe) in Murphy and Owen. Tell you what if were struggling by January look for both ****ney teams to pop their ugly heads up again for him.

Rafa really is turning this into his team. At this rate we'll struggle to field a team against Spurs this weekend.........although it is only Spurs!

Dapotayto

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
According to Dazza's snout it would be $10 million in bling plus either Morientes or Eto'o. I don't think Stevie G. will be too dismayed at playing with Cisse and Eto'o or Baros up front, Alonso in the middle with him, Kewell on the left and someone else quality on the right (Shaun Wright-Phillips? Joaquin?). They are all racehorses.

Red Forever

Jul 26, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well just seen the teamsheet.............Owen on the bench! Cise and Baros to start.

Read into that what you will.

Dapotayto

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The Rafa revolution continues. A couple of English websites and Spain's Marca are reporting that Liverpool have signed Alonso from Real Sociedad and Luis Garcia from Barcelona. Both players are crackers. Hoping its true but you never know with the damn media. Sounds like Owen is going though and maybe for as low as 10 million sterling.

Red Forever

Jul 26, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
If those two deals go through that will be a good bit of business for the reds. Makes our mid look pretty fine when they both slot in, but like you say lets wait to see if the papers are full of it or not!

As for Owen I dont know who's worse for tapping up players Madrid or Chelsea? How convenient that they get Owens intrest on a move and offer Morientes or E'to'o plus cash. Then after we rest Own for our game they go and cup tie Morientes and sell Eto'o to Barca. Now all of a sudden they're gonna get him for 10 mill!!! Now Liverpool either have to sell him on the cheap or hold onto a player that will walk away for nothing in January.
It's crap like this that should be stopped!!

Red Forever

Jul 26, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well according to Sky Sports it's a done deal!! Owen to Real for 8 MILLION and either Juanfron or Nunez.
Well Liverpool well done for getting a royal fcuk up the arse!!! A player that 2 years ago could of gone for at least 30 mill has now left for vitually nothing.
When you consider Chelsea payed 24 mill for Drogba weve been well and truly done in!

To make matters worse Sky Sports is saying the Viera deal is off and now Real are going after Liverpool target Alonso!!

dazza

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Spurs 1 Pool 1

The right result today. Spurs looked an improved side, even though quite a few were missing and we were playing five new signings and a 17 year old right back making his debut. All the slagging has been in the direction of Santini before a ball had even been kicked, but Rafa turned up with a nice blunder, taking off Cisse and Baros. Naive!

Pool better sign some players soon, you don't have much depth right now.

Oh, and Sean Davis outshone Stevie G on his debut.

Only Spurs, eh? LOL...typical....same old Liverpool of recent years...big words, less action.

My snout has confirmed that Hargreaves will be signed next week by Spurs and there is another one on the way too.

Daz

Red Forever

Jul 26, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I will say a fair result, very dissapointed with the reds in the second half. I thought we were all over the ****neys in the 1st but had a bit of a Houllier brain cramp in the 2nd. Cisse looked good and was unlucky to be subbed.

Remember it was'nt just Spurs playing with a makeshift team! Looks good for Alonso to make his debut this weekend.
As for Davis outplaying Stevie G....dont make me laugh!! Davis did one thing , get booked!
If the ref had any balls he would of called a spotter on the little 17 year old who Gerrard made look stupid by skinning him three times and all he could do was rip his shirt off his back.

Good move by Spurs appointing a coach who has to use cue cards to communicate with his players!!

dazza

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
RF,

You can TTP out of Santini as much as you want, along with the media over there, but Benitez fcuked up royally with his substitutions. Funnily enough, he seems to have gotten away with it in the media :rolleyes:

Makeshift team? Come on? Look at the names in your team.

BTW I loved the Harry Kewell chant to the tune of Daddy Cool.

Cisse will do well for you this year, as will Baros, and I'm sure you will sign another striker or two to back them up.

Pongo is a little girl....the perfect replacement for Diouf. Nice stamp on Davis' leg too, not to mention him and Baros getting Defoe booked for taking his shirt off when the ref was heading in the opposite direction, oblivious to it all.

You should have had a penno for young Phil Ifil's tug on Gerrard's shirt. I don't think the ref could see it, but a linesman should have picked it up.

Good luck this season.

Cheers,

Daz :cool:

5bigtoes

Jul 21, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Villa 2
Saints 0

Thought I might get involved in the premiership thread as I do enjoy watching games every weekend and the whole soap opera of action during the weekdays.....As I have ties to Aston Villa, I'll keep a close eye on the Villians but OH so interested in all the rest of the banter regarding the other teams as well....(who needs Beattie when you got Vassell and Cole!!!!)

Chelsea/United a very interesting game to watch, Scoles played well....

Arsenal fans must be pleased with their result verse Everton....Bergkamp played fcukin magic!

as for the Reds and Owen, well he hasn't been much good over the past couple years. Obviously he needs a fresh start and Red Forever your right Pool dropped the ball on this transfer....

more too come as the season goes....

lean

Sep 14, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm not a huge Liverpool fan but bigtoe you have lost the plot :(

Vassel and Cole couldn't polish Owens boots and Liverpool will miss him dearly this year. As for him not being very good for the last couple of years....16, 19 and 19 goals for the last 3 years. He even did this playing with that hump Heskey. Vassel and Cole won't combine for those numbers, especially when Angel returns and relegates one of them to the bench. If they were so special than why would O'leary be trying to sign Beattie!!

Lean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts