Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Regional Tier 3 League

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It's certainly easy to throw shots from the lurking cheap seats while you guys throw yourselves out there. ;)

Anyhow, 3 Tier Leagues, money necessities, playing season debates, etc.

Carry on lads.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Of course it is. This is TTP. Where have you been?

OK, full disclosure, I want what is best for soccer in the province. I feel at least 2 of 3 of the leagues leadership is cocking it up.

Discuss.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
So, your team will be competing for a CONCACAFF spot next year? Sorry, that's new news to me. Do tell.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wait, they already had a team in the PCSL... nevermind...

That was a reserve team run in partnership with UVic.

There are two new Victoria based teams joining PCSL this summer, Westcastle (who are essentially a Highlanders academy team in VISL, so not sure what their PCSL team looks like) and a re-born Victoria United.

I'm guessing UVic may now be aligned with Victoria United, but don't know for sure.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Some interesting developments... the assumption with the Highlanders announcement was that they would join L1BC in 2021, but reading the press release carefully you will see they say:

With the changing landscape in Canadian and BC soccer it was unclear and not guaranteed that sanctioning would be provided beyond 2020. The club has made the decision to support BC and Canadian soccer and their plans around Tier 1 (CPL), Tier 2 (Division 2) and Tier 3 (BCL1, L1 Ontario, PLSQ) soccer.

Division 2 is apparently gaining momentum as a new nation-wide "pro" league split into regions (east/west) to reduce travel costs. This league would sit below CPL and above the Regional Tier 3 leagues.

If the costs associated with playing in this league are similar to what is currently being incurred by Canadian-based USL2 teams who currently travel as far south as Eugene, Oregon then you'd have to think Highlanders and TSS would be angling to join this new league.

Where does this leave a BC Tier 3 League? Has BC Soccer completely dropped the ball by having so many delays and pushing back launch year after year? Will there be enough support to actually get it off the ground without Highlanders and TSS?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ah, now I see what you were getting at in the other. I'm up to speed now, thanks.

So, I'd venture a huge yes in dropping the ball...

I think my assertion stands still that I believe we have a player pool to support a league that sits under CPL, weather that is called Tier II or Tier III. I see why they want to call it Tier II, since they view CPL as Tier I in Canada. Not that it should matter to us, but, what happens in Ontario? Do they split the L1O into a Tier II and Tier III? Honestly, they probably could.

Very confusing and convoluted....but yeah they need to get onto something.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes the stronger, better organized, better funded L1O teams would jump to div2.

There's a huge problem right now in L1O which is a U23 league, in that some teams rely heavily on University players. When the playoffs roll around in September those players become unavailable and some teams competing are unrecognisable from what they were during the season. This year that turned one of the semifinals into a joke where the winning team had a 15-0 aggregate score over 2 legs.

A professional div2 would attract the purely soccer focused players and leave the uni kids in tier3

ThiKu

Nov 14, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ah, now I see what you were getting at in the other. I'm up to speed now, thanks.

So, I'd venture a huge yes in dropping the ball...

I think my assertion stands still that I believe we have a player pool to support a league that sits under CPL, weather that is called Tier II or Tier III. I see why they want to call it Tier II, since they view CPL as Tier I in Canada. Not that it should matter to us, but, what happens in Ontario? Do they split the L1O into a Tier II and Tier III? Honestly, they probably could.

Very confusing and convoluted....but yeah they need to get onto something.

Why should a tier 2 mean BCSA dropped the ball? This BC league is meant to be third tier. Exactly how it's being marketed. The issue may be who signs up for the tier 2 and thus not sign up for tier 3 but maybe not. It was meant to be a third tier, not tier 2.

ThiKu

Nov 14, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes the stronger, better organized, better funded L1O teams would jump to div2.

There's a huge problem right now in L1O which is a U23 league, in that some teams rely heavily on University players. When the playoffs roll around in September those players become unavailable and some teams competing are unrecognisable from what they were during the season. This year that turned one of the semifinals into a joke where the winning team had a 15-0 aggregate score over 2 legs.

A professional div2 would attract the purely soccer focused players and leave the uni kids in tier3

this is exactly what should happen - those serious players leave tier 3 and try their hand at tier 2 and then hopefully a CPL contract, and then after that who knows!

A third tier league pretty much has to be a 3-4 month league because of the uni guys leaving. A tier 2 league has to be 6-8 months at minimum, and not impacted by university enrollment.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
So remember when this "tier 3" league was asking for ownership groups to have $$$ to be in the league?

Now you have 62 other tiers being thrown in.

Good luck with that now BC Soccer.

This is to me is "dropping the ball".

Though if it does come to fruition, man... what a community story that would be!

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I feel like the name League 1 BC is too much of geo-centric regional name.

The goal should be building a league based on values and regional stories, without anchoring it to specific communities, thus allowing the league to potentially move in the event its location is not deemed suitable after a reasonable period of time.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts