Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Report and Reaction: Finally, there is a point to Vancouver Whitecaps after goalless draw in the Land of 10,000 Lakes

AFTN

May 25, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
Report and Reaction: Finally, there is a point to Vancouver Whitecaps after goalless draw in the Land of 10,000 Lakes

Football’s a game of surprises. Sometimes teams can pull off the shock result no-one is expecting, surprising everyone and upsetting the odds. But enough of East Fife’s fantastic Scottish League Cup win over Premier Division Hearts at Bayview this morning, this is a Vancouver Whitecaps match report and when it comes to the ‘Caps this season, it’s all been too predictable.

But not today.

As Vancouver headed into Minnesota on the back of five straight MLS losses and winless in 10 across all competitions, confidence was very clearly shot. The Loons on the other hand were riding a high, unbeaten in five league matches, with four of those wins. The result seemed inevitable, but you know, football.

Marc Dos Santos needed a reaction from his players after weeks of dismal performances and he got one, of sorts. There were still some serious issues, goalscoring still proves to be a challenge, the midfield is non-existent far too often, but the Whitecaps kept a clean sheet for the first time in league play since May 10th, and earned their first MLS point since June 26th in a battling 0-0 draw.

Small victories, and right now the Whitecaps will grab anything they can in that regard.

Dos Santos has tried pretty much every combination to try and get a response from his team. For this one, it was the good old 4-3-2-1 Christmas tree formation, with Fredy Montero up top, and Yordy Reyna and Theo Bair in behind him. An attacking set up, meaning very little off the bench in that regard, but the issue remained the same – could the less than exciting midfield three actually move the ball forward? Not really, but the attack at least got some stuff going on their own.

Minnesota came out all guns blazing and came within inches of opening the scoring with just two minutes on the clock when Angelo Rodriguez just couldn’t get his outstretched foot onto a ball to the back post. Any touch would have seen a goal. Maybe this was going to be the day the Whitecaps’ luck changed.

Those thoughts were quickly dispelled when Doneil Henry had to go off injured in the 14th minute after taking a knee to the back. The official reason given was a back contusion. but he definitely seemed to be holding his hamstring again, so hopefully that also hasn’t been aggravated.

And the Whitecaps lack of luck was compounded five minutes later when Ali Adnan’s free kick into the Loons box was deflected off the bar by Rodriguez and then cleared.

19' Inches away!

MIN 0-0 VAN | #VWFC pic.twitter.com/Aoztb5p59q

— Vancouver Whitecaps FC (@WhitecapsFC) July 28, 2019

Minnesota keeper Vito Mannone still hadn’t had a save to make, and he didn’t until collecting a easy effort from Theo Bair in first half stoppage time. Neither though did Max Crepeau, who still hadn’t by half time.

The home side had dominated the play but weren’t really producing much danger from it, with a Darwin Quintero effort off the post in the closing minutes of the half and a cross from him just eluding Miguel Ibarra the closest they came.

Still in it at the half was likely the best most Whitecaps fans would have been hoping for, and finally a positive in this testing period.

The second half provided some more, with the ‘Caps firing three long range efforts at Mannone as they looked to be the only team able to create any chances.

But Minnesota reminded Vancouver of their danger in the 73rd minute, and should have taken the lead when the ball came to Mason Toye in front of goal, but the substitute fired wildly over.

It hadn’t been the most exciting half you’ll see this season, but the Whitecaps have been on the wrong end of enough of those in recent matches, but the final 10 minutes are always going to be a lot more frantic.

Minnesota tried to turn up the pressure, appealing for a handball on Russell Teibert in the box. Waved away, they kept pushing and an Ike Opara header looped off the bar moments later.

You were expecting more but the Whitecaps defence coped with everything quite easily. Quintero had a stoppage time chance saved by Crepeau, but Minnesota will look back on this and feel it was a wasted opportunity to grab the win.

For Vancouver, let’s not get carried away. This was nowhere near a performance that would have you believe a late table run is on the cards. But, defensively at least, this looked more like an actual team and not a mish mash of players with no real idea.

It wasn’t pretty at times, but it stops the rot slightly. The losing streak has become a winless streak. Getting something out of Cincinnati next week could maybe make us say an undefeated one. That’s the stage we’re at right now, grabbing at straws and looking for any signs of hope. After the doom and gloom of recent weeks, a weekend of that is at least a refreshing change.

FINAL SCORE: Minnesota United 0 – 0 Vancouver Whitecaps

ATT: 19,845

MINNESOTA: Vito Mannone; Romain Matanire, Ike Opara, Michael Boxall, Chase Gasper; Jan Gregus, Osvaldo Alonso, Ethan Finlay (Abu Danladi 66), Darwin Quintero, Miguel Ibarra; Angelo Rodriguez (Mason Toye 66) [Subs Not Used: Bobby Shuttleworth, Brent Kallman, Lawrence Olum, Rasmus Schuller, Hassani Dotson]
VANCOUVER: Maxime Crepeau; Jake Nerwinski, Doneil Henry (Erik Godoy 14), Derek Cornelius, Ali Adnan; Felipe Martins, Inbeom Hwang, Russell Teibert; Yordy Reyna, Theo Bair (Lucas Venuto 73), Fredy Montero (Brett Levis 80) [Subs Not Used: Zac MacMath, Scott Sutter, Jon Erice, Andy Rose]
REACTION:

VANCOUVER WHITECAPS

MARC DOS SANTOS

On if it’s fair to say tonight was a much better performance for the team:

“The performance of who we really are. From the month of May, the month of June, the identity that we were building in the team, but then we had lost that in July for different reasons and we had to regain it. I feel that today, we regained that part of our game against a very good team, and against a team that has grown a lot in two years. Their staff has done a great job, in a great and very tough environment. They have a great future as a club, and we responded well for sure.”

On if he was happy with the maturity shown by his team today in a hostile environment:

“Yeah, it’s very hard after the month of July we had, and after the hard loss Wednesday it emotionally leaves a lot of scars, and you ask for a reaction and you ask for a commitment. The guys answered, and everybody answered as a team, and that’s very positive. When we do things as a team, we’re able to be in every game.”

On if he was happy with the balance of the team tonight:

“Yeah I think that the chances we got when we were able to exploit in counterattack situations with some of there chances and react, that was very positive. Like you said, defensively we were a very organized team and we didn’t give a lot away, but they always looked dangerous when a guy like Quintero gets the ball or a guy like Metanire puts a cross in and there’s Toye, Danladi, and Quintero in. You need to be able to keep a high level of concentration in the box, but I think our guys did a very good job and were very committed tonight.”

On if the team kept a good rhythm after Erik Godoy subbed in for an injury:

“Yeah, between Doneil [Henry], Derek [Cornelius], and Erik [Godoy] they’ve all played in this team and they’re all ready to come in. We wanted to give Erik a rest, but unfortunately he got a rest of ten minutes, but he was ready. Mentally he was ready, he came in, he helped the team, and that’s football.”

On if not having a midweek game this coming week will really help this team to be able to prepare for their next match:

“Yeah for sure. For you to improve a team you have to train it. You have to train dynamics, you have to train principles, you can’t do it if you don’t train. This is a good moment for us to get reorganized.”

THEO BAIR

On the team’s performance:

“Yeah, for sure. We came together and put on a great performance.”

On getting results on the road:

“It feels amazing, especially after the run that we’ve had recently. I think that this can be a turning point for us and I think everyone in there feels really good.”

On balance of offense and defense:

“Yeah, I think that we found our balance between attacking and defending. We got plenty of balls up forward, maybe not the cleanest chances ever but I think we’re moving towards something.”

On if he’s feeling more comfortable at the MLS level:

“Yeah, every game gets better and every half gets better. It’s just a matter of time.”

On how to keep grinding out points on the road:

“Stay focused during the week, keep that same mentality that we have. Grind, grind, grind and stay together and be compact. Do what we can.”

DEREK CORNELIUS

On if the team responded well following recent games:

“Yeah, I mean finally we got out of the slump. We finally got back, not necessarily to our right ways because we’re still looking for a win, but yeah it’s good to start getting back points.”

On if the team showed a lot of maturity tonight playing in a hostile environment:

“I think yeah, I think it was a full team performance. Everyone worked their socks off, everyone was all in together. We’re all frustrated about the situation that we’re in right now, and we’re all before the game saying that we gotta just go our there as a team and give our best and that whatever happens happens, and today we were able to get the draw and just start going the right way.”

On if he felt the team kept a good rhythm the full 90 minutes despite injuries:

“Yeah, I mean we’ve played together all year long, whether it’s training or preseason, so I think the partnerships between all the center backs are pretty comfortable. We play to our own style, no matter who’s in or who’s out, we have our own style of play so it’s not a big if someone goes down and we gotta switch and put someone else in.”

On if the team had a good balance tonight:

“Yeah, the stats we don’t really think about, the game just goes on as it is. If we concede a lot of crosses, the team is always prepared to defend it. Offensively I think we’re a lot more dangerous compared to previous games, so I think this is definitely a game to build on. There’s more we still want to be better at, but this is definitely a step in the right direction.”

On if not having a midweek game this week will help the team prepare more for their next match:

“For sure, I think everyone’s looking forward to getting a full week to prepare, because with three games in a week there’s not much time to prepare for the next team coming up. It’s kind of just game after game after game. Now we get a full week and now we can kind of relax after our flight tomorrow, then we’re right back at it again on Monday.”

Read Further on AFTN.ca

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
How many people watched this and were envious of the facility? What a fantastic looking park. I almost want to go there on my next trip to Minneapolis to watch a match.

Vancouver is just losing it's place as a hot bed. We actually were one at one point. Professionally, we are in shambles. Really, the only redeeming quality is the UBC training grounds. Terrible stadium, and a City that cokc blocks you from building a first class soccer specific stadium on the water. Ownership that seems to be in it for all the wrong reasons at this point.

In terms of local development, the edge we had long ago long lost now. Not only have Ontario, Quebec, and even Alberta surpassed us, but they are way past us. I'd say that because of their weather challenges, it forced them to get serious with fantastic building infrastructure, and development infrastructure. The edge we had, evaporated over 30 years.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
...on topic. Bair out wide is a waste. Seriously, I don't get it. He's slow to react and simply not adding an element out there. I'm not even convinced that centrally he's a great choice, but Motero is done, and I guess Ardaiz is buried under the doghouse. I'd have him sitting up top as a lone striker, and Reyna in behind him as a free roamer at the top of the midfield. Inboem in behind working box-to-box, and fcuk if I know holding. I'd like to see Dave Norman get in. I think Erice has had a good run, and if he's having a moan these days, park him. Tiebert isn't going to help you win, and between "the best of the rest" (ugh) you have Andy Rose and DNJ. DNJ has done everything they asked to be ready for this, including apparently turning away more opportunity in Scotland. Too bad about his injury, but if he's ready now, let's get him in.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
it's DNJ, not DN... asking a lot to plug and play as the holding mid... he's not exactly build for that role in MLS, at least not at this age...

why is no one suggesting playing two, any two, up top to work off each other???

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm pretty sure old man DNS is not suiting up anytime ever again, but sure, DNJ for those that can't follow.

Explain to me why he's not built for it? If he's not built for it, WTF is he built for? Playing holding mid in some other league? FFS, seems to me he got decent time w/ Queen of the South last year, reports were they wanted to keep him, I THINK last year they were promoted as well.

People talk all the time about MLS "being shite". Well, how shite are the top two tiers in Scotland? If he's good enough to play 1st team minutes on a team in a promotion battle, is he not good enough to take that spot of the Caps? Fcuk me, right now, the Caps would be in a relegation fight IF there were relegation. As of now, they literally have nothing else to lose. They can afford to play the kids and see if they can get you better results than the "vets".

Who is he stealling a spot from?

John Erice? I agree he's actually one of the more solid signings, but currently he's in the doghouse.

Besides him, we have Andy Rose, Filipe, and Tiebert, in about that pecking order. You are telling me it's not worth taking a chance on DN (sorry, DNJ) over those three? At this point in time? If not now, when? Seriously? Are you suggesting the Caps hide him on this bloody useless travelling team and get no more relevant experience? Loan him out, again?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Besides, if you are going to play Bair, who clearly IS NOT MLS quality, or not yet, may as well play a guy who actually has more experience, in a tough league, in competitive, relevant matches.

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
why is no one suggesting playing two, any two, up top to work off each other???
I think @LION suggested that way back at the start of the season as he has little faith in the size of our strikers especially when playing alone upfront.

I agree with @Dude , give DNJ a shot(if he's fit). Nothing to lose. I recall he scored one of our few goals in preseason. Has he been injured since?

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think @LION suggested that way back at the start of the season as he has little faith in the size of our strikers especially when playing alone upfront.

I agree with @Dude , give DNJ a shot(if he's fit). Nothing to lose. I recall he scored one of our few goals in preseason. Has he been injured since?

They have tried two strikers for moments in matches. But they just simply are not good enough/strong enough up there. The two mini mite striker system doesn’t work. Unless one is Giovinco or Italian. ;)
Watching Reyna, Monetero, and whoever else they have thrown up there has been tough to watch. Zero hold up play and it’s all run and gun bullshit. Been saying it since pre season. We don’t have anything going forward. It was apparent in pre season when we couldn’t score against second rate teams etc.

@Dude your right. Bair on the wing looks horrible. He doesn’t have the stature of a wing player. He should be up top giving us a fighting chance on a cross. And have Reyna wide driving at guys. Something.

Last game was comical with all the 150 lb strikers getting a look up top. We get in the final 3rd. Who are you crossing to when the other team drops in?

Reyna doesn’t do much for me. Too inconsistent. His driving runs look fun but he loses the call 8 of 10 times.
Hwang is another boy body.

Let’s get some fcuking men on this team that can physically dominate moments in matches. We have NOBODY that can do that other then Henry as a CB. Men against boys is what I see out there.
We finally got rid of Tchechera now we replaced them with more mini mites. fcuk sakes.

*Disclaimer; football is for all shapes and sizes. (No body shaming here) But a team needs balance just like playing “ice hockey” in Nintendo. You couldn’t go with all players as the skinny fast guy, or all as the slow strong guy, you needed balance!
Who remembers that classic game?

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
I meant one holding striker and one skilled striker, a la Catliff and Mobilio...

Ardaiz and Reyna, Bair and Montero, that kind of thing...

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Catliff and Mobilio were far better than any combo we can put out there now.

We don't even know what Ardaiz is or can do. Apparently very poor work habits and not compliant to his manager's requests for work rate and assignments on the pitch.

I could see Bair and Reyna. Honestly, what does it matter if you have a 4-4-2 with Bair and Reyna up top of a 4-5-1 w/ Reyna playing the #10, or false 9? Point being he's meant to occupy that space between the central mids and the top man, and give him freedom / range.

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Exactly Dude. Pretty much.
Doesn’t really matter. Shapes are fluid. On the ball and off the ball.
We can’t have two guys just waiting up top when we are out of possession. Reyna could drop in and be the 10 and occupy that area, but what two guys are you playing flat behind him?
We just don’t have the guys.

MDS has made some questionable Line ups.
19 year old Bair on a wing is one of them. When we have zero up top. Let alone thinking Montero could still hang and bang at his age and stature.

Team Robo. ;)

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Venuto cut. Why not. Didn't seem to be anywhere close to his paycheck indicates he should be. This leads me to my questions about the leagues in the rest of the world...he came from the Austrian Bundesliga. Top Flight. 12 goals in 68 appearances, a reasonable level of production for a winger. You'd think this league is a higher caliber than MLS. Is that the case? Does anyone on TTP actually know anything about these leagues outside the top 3/4 Euro Leagues, and all these South American leagues? Has MLS gotten better where players coming from these top secondary leagues actually get here and struggle to stand out?

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
@Dude he came from the same level of play as Reyna.

Some players adapt to a new team/league, others don't.

I don't think Venuto is a substandard player. I think he just wasn't the right player for the Caps.

There are loads of players who have come from those mid-tier European leagues who have done well in MLS... just to name a few new to the league this season:

Heber, Jan Gregus, Carles Gil

Of course there are many more that are flops like Venuto.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
No doubt it's a big move in terms of geography, culture, and schedule. I don't know what the world perception is on MLS quality, but in terms of being a "tough" league to play in, there has to be no doubt. The schedule is nuts, you are in a plane WAY more often than in other leagues, the facilities can be shite (Vancouver), and one week playing in 21 deg C SL Vancouver, next week in 40 deg Dallas, or 30 deg Denver at 5000'+ elevation.

There is also a school of thought that Venuto was doomed to failure with really having very little to work with around him. Like all of them, really. Big ticket, makes sense to part ways and each team admit it was a bad idea. Actually give the team some credit on this, recognizing a failed signing and finding the least painful way out.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0