Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Ricardo Ferretti named interim manager of Mexico's national team

ArticleBot

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ricardo Ferretti named interim manager of Mexico's national team

A temporary successor to Miguel Herrera has been found.

On Friday, Decio de Maria, the president of the Federacion Mexicana de Futbol (FMF), announced Ricardo Ferretti will be the interim manager of Mexico's national team.

Ferretti is currently serving as the manager of Tigres UANL, who recently advanced to the final of the Copa Libertadores before falling to River Plate 3-0 on aggregate.

cropped_REU_2280625.jpg

"We've talked to Ricardo Ferretti and the directors of Club Tigres and we're very grateful to Ricardo's offer of being able to manage up to four matches with the national team," De Maria told ESPN.

"I reiterate what I said earlier that we don't have any document signed and it's simply an offer, and in that sense, I reiterate the thanks to the institution and to Ricardo. Next week we can advance further on the topic."

The always charismatic Herrera was sacked as Mexico's manager at the end of July, only two days after he helped the national team capture its seventh Gold Cup title with a 3-1 win versus Jamaica.

Related: Adios, Piojo: Miguel Herrera sacked as manager of Mexico

However, the celebrations were overshadowed by the fact that Mexico only reached the final following a semifinal and a quarterfinal in which El Tri was awarded two controversial last-minute penalties and an overall form that was far below the Mexican public's expectations.

It's worth noting that Ferretti has managed Mexico on an interim basis in the past, doing so for a friendly 22 years ago.

Ricardo Ferretti named interim coach of Mexican national soccer team Coached them on interim basis 1 game in 1993 (friendly vs C. Rica)

— ESPN Stats & Info (@ESPNStatsInfo) August 21, 2015

Mexico's next four games include a pair of friendlies against Trinidad and Tobago and Argentina on Sept. 4 and Sept. 8, respectively, as well as a playoff against the United States on Oct. 1 to determine what side will represent CONCACAF at the 2017 Confederations Cup.

Copyright © 2015 Score Media Ventures Inc. All rights reserved. Certain content reproduced under license.

Continue reading...