Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Rio 2016 - Go Canada Go

Jigsaw

Oct 30, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Unless the new training pre game is only a minute long, I'd hazard a guess there's more to it than what you saw.
Sorry, I can't agree with you.
If that's what they do unsupervised, I wouldn't allow them to have a ball.
Standards have to be high & if they're not, you will never get it on the field.
Don't get me wrong, they've done well getting this far, but that cannot be allowed with a "World Cup Team".
Believe me, I've been there. If the Men's team ever did that, there would be accountability from the players themselves, never mind the Staff.

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Maybe it's a cool down? Maybe they just practiced for 5 hours as hard as they could! Maybe they worked their butts off for as long as they could!
Or maybe yesterday was a light practice and today was a hard one. I don't know.
You're the expert, I'll just go along with your knowledge. Since you've been there and all

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think you're reading far too much into a short video clip.

Regs- explain why you are a dumb ass? I mean, this time in particular?

Yesterday was a pretty good day, results wise. Gold in wrestling, silver in decathlon and 200. Tory got through his quarters with no tangles, avoided some big crashes. The 2x defending Olympic Champion- Maris Strombergs- and 2x World Champion Liam Phillips were both in Tory's group and took each other out in a fairly nasty crash 1st round. Neither could get the results they needed to move on after that. Shitty for them, but good news for Tory to have two serious contenders out before semis even get going.

Wish I could watch today, but Mini Dude is racing himself this morning at Crankworx, so will have to try and catch it remotely.

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
I wont question the practice clip not knowing what qent on before and after that clip. I do think Herdman is a brilliant motivator. For me it is his tactics I question. The semi final game was nothing short of disapointing. Maybe I expect to much FROM THIS TEAM NOW? The game plan what ever it was failed miserably. Today perhaps will show a clearer picture or maybe it will cloud it more. Either way I am still a dumb ass .

Go Canada

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I agree that you can't tell enough by that video clip, but I do agree with Jigsaw about intensity of training and warmups. I''l give you an example. Players that are simply knocking long balls to one another and a ball looks like it's going over the receiving player's head? My players are expected, even in a casual setting, to read the trajectory, adjust their position and settle the ball with the correct body part, NOT reach out and catch the fcuking ball like so many "TOP" coaches let happen. Basically, everything a player does in training must mimic what will happen in a game. Intensity levels must replicate what will happen in a game. If the ball is being manipulated "casually" in training, then that must have a place in the game, BUT the brain must still be functioning with intensity. I can't stand to see players practising their techniques, such as receiving and settling a ball, in static positions such as standing and then nonchalantly playing it back. Players must always be coerced to adjusting their balance to properly execute an objective after they receive a ball. Not standing still and knocking it back from the same position all the time. I see this in warmups all the time and I think it's goofy. Its about forming habits and ensuring that you are mentally ready to approach the game. Messi and other professionals have "earned the right" to vary their approach to warmups and training, but many other players have not.

To demand the correct intensity from players during training isn't easy. You have to be absorbed in the session yourself as a coach, and present a consistent approach, sometimes tyrant like. There is a time and place for everything. Not everything demands full out game speed, BUT the brain of the player must always be formulating at the correct intensity. I find this is the biggest deficit, especially in Canadian soccer all around, with even our most accredited coaches not putting near enough weight on this facet. There is a reason Jigsaw has always had success and why we are struggling now.

I agree that the video clip does not tell the story but unfortunately does represent what so many perceived top programs and coaches replicate. I know where Jigsaw is coming from.

Jigsaw

Oct 30, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I agree that you can't tell enough by that video clip, but I do agree with Jigsaw about intensity of training and warmups. I''l give you an example. Players that are simply knocking long balls to one another and a ball looks like it's going over the receiving player's head? My players are expected, even in a casual setting, to read the trajectory, adjust their position and settle the ball with the correct body part, NOT reach out and catch the fcuking ball like so many "TOP" coaches let happen. Basically, everything a player does in training must mimic what will happen in a game. Intensity levels must replicate what will happen in a game. If the ball is being manipulated "casually" in training, then that must have a place in the game, BUT the brain must still be functioning with intensity. I can't stand to see players practising their techniques, such as receiving and settling a ball, in static positions such as standing and then nonchalantly playing it back. Players must always be coerced to adjusting their balance to properly execute an objective after they receive a ball. Not standing still and knocking it back from the same position all the time. I see this in warmups all the time and I think it's goofy. Its about forming habits and ensuring that you are mentally ready to approach the game. Messi and other professionals have "earned the right" to vary their approach to warmups and training, but many other players have not.

To demand the correct intensity from players during training isn't easy. You have to be absorbed in the session yourself as a coach, and present a consistent approach, sometimes tyrant like. There is a time and place for everything. Not everything demands full out game speed, BUT the brain of the player must always be formulating at the correct intensity. I find this is the biggest deficit, especially in Canadian soccer all around, with even our most accredited coaches not putting near enough weight on this facet. There is a reason Jigsaw has always had success and why we are struggling now.

I agree that the video clip does not tell the story but unfortunately does represent what so many perceived top programs and coaches replicate. I know where Jigsaw is coming from.
Great post Ballbaby.
I see it at lots of training sessions.
As a coach you have to create a healthy work like environment for the players, letting them get away with sloppy passing, or just a sloppy approach, will only give them bad habits when playing the game.
These players are the cream of the crop & are regarded as Role Model's, they should not be allowed to practice that way, no matter what stage of the session it is.
"Maybe" Yoda can tell us how he would conduct a session & what sort of environment he creates for his players. 5 hours seems a long time to train.
Maybe I'll try that, to see if that's the answer to getting success.

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Great post Ballbaby.
I see it at lots of training sessions.
As a coach you have to create a healthy work like environment for the players, letting them get away with sloppy passing, or just a sloppy approach, will only give them bad habits when playing the game.
These players are the cream of the crop & are regarded as Role Model's, they should not be allowed to practice that way, no matter what stage of the session it is.
"Maybe" Yoda can tell us how he would conduct a session & what sort of environment he creates for his players. 5 hours seems a long time to train.
Maybe I'll try that, to see if that's the answer to getting success.

Easy @Jigsaw, don't get bent out of shape. You took a 1 minute clip and turned it into a national women's soccer catastrophe without knowing at all what happened before or after that clip. That's like seeing a video of me striking a ball top corner and thinking I'm some magnificent goal scorer!
I was just poking a little fun. i don't run training sessions, I leave that in the capable hands of professionals like you and @Ballbaby. :)

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
He could have totally Lockte'd that story and grabbed the bronze but in true Canadian fashion he turned down another appeal. Good for him

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0