Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

RIP Martin Foden

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sad news I just received, Marty Foden passed away this morning :bigtears:

Marty WAS Surrey United to me and put a lot of time into that club and our soccer community in general.

My heartfelt condolences to his family and all those that got to know him. He will be sorely missed!

Cheers,

Robin Regnier

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Just got the text from Regs, and my first reaction was sadness...certainly for his family, but also for the soccer community at large. What a legacy he leaves.

Personally...as a coach at Surrey United to a bunch of house level playing little girls, Marty treated me and my band of misfits with the same level of respect and accommodation as he seemed to give the select coaches, and HPL people. When me or my manager called to get an extra turf time in the week (something almost never provided for a house team), he found a way and accommodated. We'd ask for time to use the clubhouse for team functions, so the girls could be around a bunch of trophies...he accommodated. We got the girls referee training...he made sure the clubhouse was available.

I have an e-mail, in fact, from a couple of weeks ago where Marty made accommodations to get us one extra turf slot for training. Again.

These are just my recent experiences....he was a true gentleman, and WAS Surrey United.

We know Marty lurked on TTP...some memorable and enjoyable jousting matches in the past through KNVB as Marty's personal Muppet. I'm sure KNVB's ass still hurts.

Marty, RIP. You left a legacy in BC, and some massive boots to fill.

To his family, my sincere condolences.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
My ass is still sore, as my ears where when he called me, now my heart is too... I can hardly see the screen as I type. I have no idea why I am, but feel I should. I loved that man like a father...I was closer to him over a 12 year span than anyone in my life. Time separates us all at some point, doesn't mean it hurts less. I can no longer type.

#MF

Mr. Rempa

Jul 26, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Very sad news ... Marty was a GENTLEMAN ... on every aspect ... Soccer or personal ... Shock to say the least ... Always had great respect for him...
To his Family and his Soccer Family my Sincere Condolences ... SAD SAD SAD ....

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Just so sad and gutted after hearing the news. Marty was a fantastic man who will always have my respect for his values and conduct. I was lucky enough to play for him back in '94 and carried that friendship even though I played and coached away from the club. He was always good for a smile and a great conversation whenever we crossed paths. I'll miss that!

He was an excellent executive who had many people's respect inside and outside his club. He always tried to conduct things with class. Although our clubs were rivals, many soccer people in our club saw Marty as ally in the frontier of club development and battling the same common problems that hamper successful clubs. Surrey United has become a leading club in the country thanks to his leadership and dedication while surrounding himself with like minded and good people who I know will continue his work. The soccer community has lost a forward, progressive thinker and a passionate and classy "football" man.

Our condolences to the Foden family and the Surrey United club.

The Jones family

tremy-1

Sep 18, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
A sad news for the football community and all those who somehow had the good fortune to meet an excellent man as Martin Foden was.

I was fortunate enough to enjoy great moments with Martin as a friend, as a person and as football fanatic as I am.

My thoughts and deepest condolences to his family, the Surrey United FC family, friends and all those who in one way or another were lucky enough to be part of his Life.

Rest in peace Martin.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Among other things, this is a huge loss for our league board. Marty understood that we could disagree vehemently while remaining collegial. He also reminded me a time or two not to sweat the small stuff, and that, of course, anything to do with the BCSPL is, in the big picture, small stuff.

He will be missed.

rickshaw

Mar 12, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well it's a day to reflect for me as I learn of Marty's passing.
He and I had some great times and also butted heads many times as well.
But he personified Surrey Utd. From calling me on a Sunday night to go over the days games, to sidling up to my wife at soccer dances, one thing he always had was soccer on the brain.
He was a good man and I'll never forget the speeches at the half. Ya gotta play with passion man!!!!

RIP Marty

Walks

Dec 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Absolutely gutting news to say the least. From the day I first turned up to officiate Surrey United, Marty treated me with the utmost respect and always wanted to chat about United, City & the Premiership. We shared some great conversations and I always enjoyed his company. He leaves a lasting legacy at Surrey United and has built a great Club & Association with so many great people. You will be missed mate ........

#MF

Jigsaw

Oct 30, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Martin Was a good man with a lot of knowledge in the game.
He worked tirelessly to try to improve the game here.
I remember sitting in on meetings, years back, trying to re-organize soccer here, with an attempt to improve things.
It was Martin & Barry Crocker, who spoke with the most sense & experience.
He gained everyone's respect, because he respected others.
Sad loss.

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
RIP Marty.

Class act throughout over all the years and the pleasure was all mine, always.

My sincere condolences to his family and close friends in the football community.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Getting to this late...

Condolences and deepest sympathies to Martin's family, friends, and clubmates. Every time I ever spoke with him he was civil and courteous, and I will remember him as a true gentleman.

On behalf of VAFC,

Trece

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
MARTIN FREDERICK FODEN

Celebration of Life for Martin Frederick Foden

August 1, 1949 - September 2, 2015

Martin%20Foden1.jpg