Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Stadium Discussion thread 1.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

sedintwins

Oct 23, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Stadium Discussion is an online discussion and opinion poll for the proposal to build a new soccer stadium in downtown Vancouver, and for the future state of BC Place Stadium. Raise your voice, give us your opinions on these issues.

<link removed>

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: Stadium Discussion

It can be discussed here, no need to direct people to another forum to discuss it, especially a Canucks forum :rolleyes:

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

I think it's enough that we are running free ads for the stadium here for people to sign up and show their support for the stadium on the official site.

GhostRider

Jul 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Judging by the renderings - especially the photo imposed rendering - my opinion is that it looks very out of place alongside the surrounding neighbourhood. It needs a brick exterior.

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

I'm all for it, but I think they should build it at 30,000 right off the bat. 15,000 is just too small in my opinion.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Too small for the Whitecaps? 30,000 permanent is not on if you want an "intimate" atmosphere for the Caps on a regular basis.

And fcuk the Lions, if that is what you are hinting at... all B-mac and Ball could wank on about when the plans were announced was how it would be awesome for football - they didn't really mention soccer at all :rolleyes:

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

No. I wasn't thinking about it for the Lions at all. I just think if you are going to build a stadium, might as well build it right. A 15,000 seater is sort of a waste in my mind. Build it 30, 000 and do your best to make it feel intimate wven when it is half empty.

J_B

Jul 22, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

TheRob said:
No. I wasn't thinking about it for the Lions at all. I just think if you are going to build a stadium, might as well build it right. A 15,000 seater is sort of a waste in my mind. Build it 30, 000 and do your best to make it feel intimate wven when it is half empty.
I agree as the facility will be used for other events throughout the year and they won't attract much with 15,000 seats. Just close off the top until the bottom is sold out then open up the top with a 5 or 10 dollar reduction in price, something along that lines anyway. Hell we might even get a few more national team games or even a summer team touring through here like Rangers FC.

Cheers
JB

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

From what I understand -- but I can't remember where I read/heard it -- it will be a permanent 15,000 but always expandable to 30,000 if/when necessary. And that, I think, is a good way to go about it.

Six of One

Jan 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money

I'm sure they did all their market research, but what is with the 15,000 figure? And expandable to 30,000? So it can double in capacity just like that? I assume it is an easy trasnformation? Are the 15,000 extra seats just sitting waiting to be moved into place? Do they crane in an extra deck?

I just think you have to start at 20,000 or don't bother. After my initial reaction of "cool, a new stadium", I found myself disappointed in the 15,000 number. It just seems inadequate, much like the new arena in Winnipeg that hopes to one day lure an NHL team back there. 16,000 seats or something there? If you are going to all that trouble on a brand new rink, make it 18,000 at least!

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

For those of us without sound, what is the synopsis here? I get the feeling city hall is dragging this through all sorts of red tape? Social issues holding this up?

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Dude:

City Hall wants to hold 4 public hearings about the stadium plans. This shouldn't be too much of a surprise to anybody; before going on their European vacat (oops, I mean stadium fact-finding-tour) Bobby and John mentioned this at their last press conference (the one announcing their and the CSA's new address).

Open houses are supposed to be March 6,7,8,11 at a few different locations downtown (Whitecaps website has details).

Not sure that there should be any social issues re this; the biggest issues I can see are logistical (ie how do you get construction material to the site and actually build it without fcuking up train traffic).

How they actually propose to get people into and out of the place (the drawings are rather vague on access points) gets revealed on their website (you have to dig a bit): there are two access points - the north end of Cambie St., and through the Landing Building (right beside Steamworks, and coincidentally, under La Señora's office).

Bruce Allen is STILL a headline-seeking pseudo-libertarian knob...

Trece

morbital

Mar 2, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money

www.takethepiss.com

good site with a petition in support of the stadium
every sig helps

and 15,000 expandable to 30,000 is a smart move by the caps

to move from swanny where capacity is just under 6,000, to a 30,000 seat stadium is ridculous and doesnt fit with the caps current draw to games. the expansion to 30,000 seat would be accomplished with an upper deck

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Morbital / Sedin:

Simple...read the TTP constitution. All you needed to do was contact Regs ahead of time, ask for permission, and present your case. He's a reasonable guy. That said, this is also his site, and his sweat and energy keeping it going.

What you're doing is essentially advertising for free with that link. Yes, the site is "Friends" of soccer, but it is in direct support of a corporate entity that has over the years benefited by a LOT of free advertising on this site. Frankly, had it been my site, and somebody tried to take advantage w/ free advertising w/ out permission, I'd tell you to fcuk off too.

So, in a nutshell, good idea, but wrong approach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts