Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Timbers into 2015 MLS Cup final

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Anyone catch this game?

Kudos to the Timbers as I really didn't think anyone would be able to knock off Dallas.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
  • Admin
Timbers win the cup thanks to the Crew keeper.

If you missed it, it's in this highlite package:

Fcuking donkey of the highest order :)

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Not exactly a masterpiece. At least, not by the highlight (lowlight) package. Keeper, WTF, plus a goal that should never have been due to a non-throw-in call.

Looks like the CC had a legitimate beef on the non-call involving Nagbe. Otherwise, seemed like a whole lot of playacting, and a whole lot of guys spending their yellows.

I suppose a tough one to officiate...you can debate PK calls, or non-calls, in a game like this all day long and probably not get a consensus, but missing the throw-in was really inexcusable. The lino certainly should have made it, but even a good ref should not rely 100% on his lino, and have the nuts to make the call when it's obvious. He should certainly be in position to see it, which is a realistic expectation of a professional caliber ref.

Rene

Sep 30, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Not exactly a masterpiece. At least, not by the highlight (lowlight) package. Keeper, WTF, plus a goal that should never have been due to a non-throw-in call.

Looks like the CC had a legitimate beef on the non-call involving Nagbe. Otherwise, seemed like a whole lot of playacting, and a whole lot of guys spending their yellows.

I suppose a tough one to officiate...you can debate PK calls, or non-calls, in a game like this all day long and probably not get a consensus, but missing the throw-in was really inexcusable. The lino certainly should have made it, but even a good ref should not rely 100% on his lino, and have the nuts to make the call when it's obvious. He should certainly be in position to see it, which is a realistic expectation of a professional caliber ref.

Lolygagging on the ball in a Cup final, Inexcusable. Just put your foot through it, shambolic cost them the game. Reminded me of beer league when you put your striker in net, that said he made a couple of nice saves latter on. In the immortal words of one of my Old German Westburn coaches, "Nothing good comes from PussyFooting around! " On a side note think the ref had the jitters too.

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I watched this game and it was high pace for the entire 90. Not like that Italian league stuff. ;)
Yah keeper messed up big time but made some massive saves to keep his team in it later in the 2nd half.

The ball going out and turning in to a goal is bush league though. That's a tough one to swallow for sure if your Columbus.
to give up a goal in the first 30 seconds of the match is mentally bruising for sure.

This league keeps getting better every year. The cup final in December is a bit much though. They can easily shorten this season by a month or so. The playoffs take over a month!? Wtf.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Lion, couldn't agree more. We owe each other another double high-five for this.

I actually find myself tuning into MLS matches nowadays that don't involve the Caps. The football is getting pretty good! As you stated, the pace is consistently high, and the quality is getting better and better.

And, yes, the season is WAY too long. Couldn't the MLS come to some sort of an agreement w/ CONCACAF, so that the National and Regional playoff matches occur in November / December, and have the MLS come to a conclusion in October? This way you can actually compress the regular season, then look forward to some CSA / CONCACAF matches after the playoffs. Stupid idea? Worse case scenario is that you will have some clubs idle for a couple of weeks while others get through their playoff matches, but then, why couldn't the playoff teams transition straight into playing 2 matches / week as soon as the playoffs start?

I dunno. I definitely like the CSA & CONCACAF club championships / champions league. What I don't like is that they are treated as a second priority because they happen to fall in the middle of the MLS season. This way there is the opportunity to extend the season here a few more weekends, and actually build some interest in the Champions League on this continent. Right now, nobody gives a shite. It gets lost in the noise, and it is given such a low priority by the managers, it's almost an afterthought (despite what they say).

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
  • Admin
I think the main issue is that MLS doesn't 'recognize' the international calendar. You shouldn't be penalizing teams who have National team players on their roster which is what is happening right now.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes. Absolutely.

But, how can that change? That is an additional problem to the conflict w/ club championships I sited.

Problem is now the ownership wants / needs a certain number of games for revenue generating purposes. Are you suggesting the MLS takes a break for every WC qualifying period on the international calendar? How realistic is that?

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
  • Admin
Realistic enough that every other domestic league in the world outside of North America does it!

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
But, but, but...most qualifying is in the summer! The summer, Regs! When there is no conflict!

Am I wrong? I really have no idea...

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
But, but, but...

If most international matches are in the summer, Regs, then it is no big deal for the other leagues to "shut down", because they are already, um, "shut down".

Am I wrong?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I don't have any recollection of attending said match.

Besides, said match was held during the rare time the MLS and Europe cross time-frames. All you did was prove what we already know: that Europe shuts down, and MLS doesn't. Not the feasibility of MLS shutting down.

~PointDude.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Most international qualifying matches take place during non-summer months.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
OK, that can't be accurate. Just look at October 2015, there wasn't only 4 matches across all of FIFA. I think there were 4 alone in our own zone, never mind a bunch of overseas friendlies.

Besides, doesn't address the point. How is the MLS supposed to compress their schedule and shut-down for international play at the same time?

I don't know if 2 matches / week is feasible on a regular basis. Too much travel.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
OK, that can't be accurate. Just look at October 2015, there wasn't only 4 matches across all of FIFA. I think there were 4 alone in our own zone, never mind a bunch of overseas friendlies.
Holy fcuk, did you crack your head up on the mountain this past weekend?

Let's dumb it down.

Go Caps Go.

:knvb:

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Not this past weekend.

Yeah, dumb it down. Spell it out. You are having a moan, but aren't actually stating HOW it could be accomplished. Maybe I'm the only one here who can't read minds, but yeah, dumb it down, please.

I'm not being defensive of the MLS, but FFS, it just doesn't seem reasonable that a league that plays on an opposite calendar than Europe can shut down for international play to the same degree they do. I can't see how the MLS would have been able to shut down for the Gold Cup. What am I missing?

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The calendar I provided shows the DATES of international breaks (qualifying and friendlies). When you see a 2, that means 2 DATES for games to be played during that break.

I'm just trying to show that most international qualifying dates are NOT in the summer and that most fall during a time when European leagues AND MLS are in season.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts