Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Top 10 active Athletes on Earth

Tim Berners-Lee

Aug 29, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Theres no othere more contrversial and exciting topic to discuss amongst amature athletes like ourselves the the best of the best out there. I'll throw out my top 10, decending down from to the best and most dominant in *his field. Ill keep it as unbiased and objective as my brain will allow.

*no chick even made the top 100

ok here we go coming in at 10th spot

10- Laird Hamilton - for those of you who haved surfed and for those who havent its hard to argue this guys spot on the list.

9- Ichiro Suzuki ..A true all rounded ball player who could hit .400 one of these seasons.

8- Lebron James - lived up to the monster hype and is delivering with a pretty weak team

7- Ladainian Tomlinson ...breaking football records at will..would be higher but football is just a north american game

6- Paul Tergat - world marathon record holder 2:04 55 26 mile race his last mile was ran in under 4 minutes...think about that

5- Norman Stadler ...current ironman triathlon world champion

4- Georges St. Pierre - the MMA pound for pound king . he dominates *everyone in the fastest growing sport in the world.

3- Ronaldinho - I dont think we have seen the best of him yet. 2010 to be his world cuphttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-bWsOK-h98

2- Roger Federer - The most dominant athlete in his sport today .

1-Ed Viesturs- The man to scale everest 6 times ...Climbing embodies everything a greatest athlete must posess...stamina, heart , skill, persistense, hope, strength and a positive mental state.
mountain climbing is the most underrated sport on earth.

discuss

Last edited by a moderator:

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
In terms of MMA, BJ Penn is probably the greatest "althlete" out there. It is widely recognized within the sport. I have trouble keeping A-rod off the list if as opposed to icihro. Although I do think Ichiro is a good pick, A-rod hits home runs, can steal bases, and can play in the field. Tiger looks like a great athlete but who knows he plays golf and when fat guys smoking cigars beat him he can't be put on the list.

Dapotayto

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Good topic. One of the selections I can't really bring myself to agree with is Ronaldinho though. He hasn't been anywhere near the top of the soccer world in the last couple of years. He's not even the best player on his team right now, Lionel Messi is, and Ronaldinho himself has admitted this. Kaka, C. Ronaldo and a number of other players have also outperformed Ronaldinho recently. I think he has the talent to dominate but the desire seems to be missing. At least right now.

As well, I think it is quite hard to name one individual as dominating certain sports when the sports themselves don't use specific measures to determine success. Like mountaineering (not climbing, or god forbid, mountain climbing). Sure Viesturs may have some impressive accomplishments but these don't automatically make him the dominant athlete in the sport. There are too many factors to name one person as the best and too many other athletes with similar amazing accomplishments. It's like trying to argue which is the best band ever. There are simply too many great bands with different strengths, successes and talents too name one as dominant. In my opinion, the more statistic oriented sports (baseball, football, basketball etc.) make it a little easier to rate players than more abstract activities.

My 1.88 cents U.S.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Great topic.

Laird Hamilton is the king. The lines he sees, and the way he works them is unreal.

On a list like this, it's tough to rank, because of the different skill sets / endurance / traits required to be successful.

I.e.: Triathletes, especially Ironmen. One of my favorite athletes of all time is Dave Scott- The Man- who was the first real successful triathlete to specialize in Ironmen. Legendary toughness and endurance.

But, triathletes don't need a high skill set. Very rare is there a course that challenges the skill of a rider. Nice does. The old Gold Coast course did. Few and far in between. But, you can't argue that the amount of training, mental toughness, and physical toughness required is insane. To be a Norman Stadler, the dedication to monotonous training, nutrition, and rest is higher than any other sport.

Given the mix here, I have to give a shout out to my sport- big mountain freeride. North Vancouver's Wade Simmons has earned the nickname "The Godfather" in our sport- for good reason. At a time when mountain biking was known for skinny guys wearing lycra and riding cross country bikes, Wade was the best of a group of pioneers to start pushing the limits of the mind, body, and equipment. Guys like Simmons gave the great trail builders reason to point the trail down into the rainforest, and turn the Shore legend for freeriding what it is known for today. Next thing you know, guys are sending it off sheer cliff drop-offs, and picking lines that nobody thought possible just a short time ago. Wade is the first winner of the Red Bull Rampage, the event that brought freeriding into the limelight.

Wade isn't considered the best anymore, but he's still one of the best, and still "The Godfather"...paid very nicely to travel the world, and ride his bike. Kind of like Laird Hamilton

Last edited by a moderator:

Tim Berners-Lee

Aug 29, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
good replies by dude and the tayda but i back my number 1, because i fail to imagine wayne ,michael, or tiger come close scaling it.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The problem is that the same argument goes both ways. As good an athlete Norman Stadler is, he'd be completely out fitnessed on a soccer pitch. You simply can't compare.

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I know the guy is going to jail but Mike Vick may be the greatest athlete on the planet. He can throw with both hands, we all know how he can run. Honestly I think Vick would have gone pro in any sport he decided on. In terms of pure all around athleticism he is the best in my book.

Kevin Hector

Apr 9, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
How About Sid the Kid???? best player in the NHL what he did last season was freaking crazy. as for a Baseball player A-Rod is having a monster season and has had a pretty good career to-date. or what about Payton Manning (I'm not a NFL fan) and I would have to agree with Dapotayto that Jar Jar binks is shite, Messi (I hate him) is way better then he is right now. someone should do a top ten underated/overated athletes that could fun.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0