Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Trade deadline 2010 for Canucks

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
6'5" 218.

Cheap.

Big.

for a 7th rounder

Appers to be the only 6"5 guy in the NHL I have never noticed. Same storey, we came close to a few deals..blah blah, nothing else out there not going to make a trade to make a trade...blah blah. We aren't going to win the cup with this team especially if Mitchell is out for the season which appears to be the concern. Heard on the radio Kaberle turned down a deal to Vancouver.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
To Summarize:

IN:
Yan Stastny (high prospect that has never quite panned out)
Andrew Alberts (Depth hulk of a Dman, scouting report is Shane OBrien without the Moron quotient)
Depth AHL D Man Sean Zimmerman
A conditional 6th rd pick

OUT:
Mathieu Schneider (yay!)
PC LaBrie (Career AHL/ECHLer)
3rd Round Pick (pretty high, but considering that Staois went for the same I'm okay with it)

Our D will be OK if Bieksa can get back in time for 10-15 games pre-playoffs or if Mitchell can get in 5 before Playoffs.

With what Calgary, Colorado, Minny, and Edmonton did/didn't do we pretty much have 3rd in the West locked up... now its about getting ready to peak at the right time.

I'm a bit upset they didn't address the need for a big centreman to come into the fold, as I feel Ryan Johnson hasn't cut it since last year's playoffs... and Kyle Wellwood is... Kyle Wellwood.

If Cody Hodgson keeps piling up points like he is right now in the OHL since his return from injury (8 goals and 12 helpers in 12 games :eek:) I wouldn't be surprised to see him join the Nucks or Moose come playoff time.

You also need to take into account that Demitra is back and 100% now following the olympics, and that is like adding a top 6 forward right now...

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
My worry is if the Hodgson and the canucks will be able to mend the hard feelings. Hodgson has come out and said he will not train under the Canuck trainer Ganger(sp) any longer and there definitly seems to be hard feelings on both ends. Gillis is the one who has put the program in place with the prospects and Cody basically said not thanks and refuses to respond to comments AV made about him using his back as an excuse for his poor play.

I really do feel that the Canucks handled this as poorly as an organization could. AV is an idiot, who doesn't know when to talk and when not too. The media shouldn't be a place to call out a young player. This kid is a star in the making and I really hope fences can be mended because the word was he was trade bait today which is unfortunate to hear. I don't think Gillis is the type of guy to Cottle a player, especially if he feels the player is giving him a fukc you.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
You believe everything the ambulance chasing media writes don't you?

1) Dave Gagner (former NHLer) is not a trainer, he is the head of player development for the Canucks.
2) Hodgson tweaked his back and admitted he was partly responsible for the further injury by attempting to play through pain in order to try and make the team.
3) The Canucks sent him to the mayo clinic and assured that he was looked at by the very best of Doctors that money can buy...

Hodgson had better mend the hard feelings or he might not see the light of day out of the minors for a long time....

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wait a second JBN...Dave Gagne, technically, was a hands-on off season trainer, no? He does (or did) run elite development camps, and did integrate several of the Canucks into his camps, no?

If Hodgson overtrained on Gagner's watch, I don't blame him for being pissed. In addition, the Canucks did poo poo his injury in camp, and did go to the press stating Hodgson was "mechanically" sound to play, even though his body and play said otherwise, and AV did strongly imply the kid was using his back injury as an excuse.

And now, he's lighting it up again, which essentially proves he wasn't using the injury as an excuse....simply put, he tried coming back too early, and it was at the urging of the 'Nucks.

Gotta agree, they bottled the way they handled him, and they need to mend the fence a bit here too. He's too good a prospect to let go. The 'Nucks don't have all the power in this case. The kid has serious blue chip potential, and can make life very difficult for the 'Nucks should he choose.

Mercurial

Sep 17, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Theres no way the cancuks will be dumb enough to remove one year on hodgsons entry level contract for a few playoff games.

He'll be our third line centre next season, and in a few when he gets his bearing on the league hell be on the top two lines with kesler moving to the wings most likely.

Heres what i get from surfing the carolina hockey forum for some research.

Andrew Alberts was pretty much carolinas shutdown guy...good plus minus on a crappy team...prewtty much a worse version of obrian, but much better then rome thankfully.

3rd round is steep...too steep for him almost.

He also hits alot and has alot of intensity with a 1 million cap hit for one more season....lets hope its true.

PS

Mercurial

Sep 17, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Some Carolina comments on the trade

Don't like this one at all. Alberts is young and a shutdown guy. What the hell can we possibly replace that with?

Alberts for a 3rd makes no sense.. big D-man, will drop the gloves, young, pretty cheap, doesn't make too many mistakes, his upside isn't great but he is a top-6 guy that we could have kept for a while. All the other trades I'm ok with, Corvo is a unique talent at D, but he makes some costly mistakes with the puck and may be back next year anyway.

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
You believe everything the ambulance chasing media writes don't you?

1) Dave Gagner (former NHLer) is not a trainer, he is the head of player development for the Canucks.
2) Hodgson tweaked his back and admitted he was partly responsible for the further injury by attempting to play through pain in order to try and make the team.
3) The Canucks sent him to the mayo clinic and assured that he was looked at by the very best of Doctors that money can buy...

Hodgson had better mend the hard feelings or he might not see the light of day out of the minors for a long time....

yes because the canucks best bet would be holding their best prospect in the minors if he has top level NHL potential. It is likely that the rift isn't as bad as the media is looking to make it but I bet Hodgson has a bit of a chip on his shoulder.From all accounts Hodgson is mature beyond his years and hopefully can see this as a speed bump in a potentially long NHL career.

I think you are way off if you think the canucks handled this well. A 19 year old kid tried to follow his dream when doctors and trainers where saying he was physially fine and needed to push through that pain to get back to 100% fit. He comes out after and says he doesn't feel right and the canucks come back with all doctors are saying the same thing, essentially he is physically okay. i know from a number of injuries I have had that nobody knows your own body like you do. I had 3 doctors misdiagnose me as I continued to complain that something wasn't right. Because it isn't seen on a scan doesn't mean there isn't a problem. I just think they could have given him a little more support mentally speaking because trust goes a long way with players.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Id prefer Cody Hodgson has a chip on his shoulder than a sense of entitlement.

maybe it's just me, but somehoe I doubt it.

dutch13

Feb 5, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Both sides handled it badly? Both sides should also just kiss and make up, it wont benefit either party to hold a grudge. If he rejoins the moose and performs in their playoffs after his season is done, I am sure both parties will brush off last years mess.

Canucks "it is too bad Cody had to miss the majority of his season, we are happy he is back playing and tearing it up. We look forward to him joining us for the playoff run/in training camp"

Cody "I am just glad to be back playing hockey, and look forward to continuing my conditioning and personally ensuring I am in top form at next seasons training camp"

insert hug emoticon, and we have a potentially fantastic addition to next seasons line up...

This whole thing is most likely just blown out of proportion, just like the Kesler vs. Luongo olympics grudge, or the kesler hates Canada storylines.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0