Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

TSS commencing an action against the BCSA

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
An interesting read I found on the BC soccer web.
TSSS commencing an action against the BCSA

May 3, 2006

The following is an unedited copy of an email sent to players and parents by Total Soccer Systems:

Sent: May 2, 2006 1:37:39 PM
Subject: TSS commencing an action against the BCSA

Dear Players and Parents,

Total Soccer Systems has been in existence since July 1997. In the nine years that we have been providing support to the soccer community the climate in our game locally has gone through some pretty significant changes. The idea that a player can choose to pay for "extra soccer" from professional coaching environments such as TSS has become common place. We have close to 800 registered players in our program this year from 1988 born to as young as 2000 born. We have also, since our inception, been significantly involved in the community based club system.

We are currently Technical Directors/Head Coaches of the following Clubs/Associations:

Richmond Girls Soccer
Tsawwassen Soccer Club
Ladner Girls Soccer
We are currently providing Technical Support to the following organizations as well:

Richmond Youth Soccer Association
Surdel Girls Soccer
Vancouver Richmond Girls Soccer Association
Vancouver Youth Select Soccer Association
Nelson Youth Soccer
In these relationships we support coaches, teams and individual players in a variety of environments.

We are also endorsed by the Richmond School Board and run a Soccer Academy environment within the school curriculum at RC Palmer Senior Secondary.

TSS, on a number of occasions over the years, has attempted to become affiliated with BC Soccer as an Associate Member without success. It still remains an important goal of our organization to become part of the BCSA Player Development Model which will also likely address our Membership status. We believe that we are already in this Model, somewhat by default, due to the extensive nature of our involvement in the local soccer scene over the last 9 years. A significant number of our current attending players (48 in total), from U13 to U17 have been chosen to represent our Province. And although we would never claim to be the sole reason why these athletes have attained such accolades, we do believe that we have assisted in their development to the extent that many of these players have a significant desire to maintain their involvement with us year after year. This freedom of choice is on the verge of being removed from these individuals. This leaves us where we are at today and why this email is being sent to you, our customers.

Recent initiatives by the BCSA have made it necessary for our organization to protect the continuity of our program and some of our more significant and established business interests. Please find below a summary of a letter from our legal counsel, dated April 4, 2006, that was seeking a response from the BCSA and its Directors on a number of concerns that in our view can no longer be ignored.

Summary of letter to BCSA

Communication from the BCSA to the Washington State Youth Soccer Association (WSYSA) relating to our participation in tournaments there ( which we have been doing since 1997 and until recently WITH permission from the BCSA - precedent has been set by them with these prior approvals). In turn the WSYSA has advised the tournaments not to host our teams. We have long-term relationships with these tournaments and their Directors and they are astonished that we can no longer participate there. This is seen as an intentional interference with our contractual obligations with these tournaments. The Associations role in this matter pertains to establishing travel rules and to give approval for teams from BC to travel - such powers do not allow the BCSA to communicate in the manner done with Associations in foreign jurisdictions.
We are looking for the opportunity to become Members of the BCSA first and foremost.
We believe that the BCSA's recent partnership/affiliation with the Vancouver Whitecaps smacks of a commercial preference (as the Whitecaps are also a business for profit) and we feel that there is ample room for our organization to be part of this plan.
Resolution - we are looking for an opportunity to affiliate and looking to have the sanctions on our organization in regards to Washington State Tournaments removed.

As of May 1st, there has been NO response from the BCSA or their Directors. This has made it necessary for our organization to raise the stakes and advise our counsel that it is time to commence an action against the BCSA which we are currently putting together.

This action was always something that we wanted to avoid, but the situation has become so compelling that we cannot avoid it any longer.

We believe it is important to inform you of this current situation with an explanation right from the source. It is important to us that you understand the issues at hand because what happens here in the next several months will shape our future programs that the majority of you will be involved in.

How can you help?

Hopefully you have a clearer understanding of what the issues are now. If you would like further clarification on anything regarding this matter please feel free to contact me at the numbers/email below. If you feel the need to contact the BCSA Board of Directors their email addresses can be found at www.bcsoccer.net . If you do correspond with the BCSA office we would certainly appreciate receiving a copy of what you have sent.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Yours in Soccer,

Colin Elmes

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
There's more to the story than what this "letter" lends to believe I think.

For one, BCSA needs to put it to a vote by their membership to give any sort of status. This was done apparently in the past and the membership voted no. That is my understanding anyways when I called and spoke with someone down at BC Soccer on the matter.

Secondly, do you really think BCSA would single out a business and talk to other jurisdictions specifically about them? What if it were a case of sending a current list of affiliated members/teams that are covered under the BC Soccer insurance policy?

Thirdly, do you think publically posturing that you are now "preparing" legal action solves anything? Especially when the AGM is a month away (new president) and the new executive director (that would handle these types of things) has "just" been hired?

~Discuss.

PV

Jul 28, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs, are you saying that Vic is not running again, and a new Pres will be elected. Perhaps we'll get Bruce Yule as Pres. He inspires feelings.

I'm optimistic that B. Osieck will do a good job. He'' also pick his dad's brains when necessary.

Unless Elemes actually starts legal action, his letter may be hot air. Is Elems upset that Birada went to the Whitecaps, and perhaps Birada is taking some of Totals' paying customers with him.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Vic is moving on to bigger pastures (CSA) as far as I'm aware.

There are 2 people running for top dog, one is from the island and the other is Steve Reed, current VP Finance.

It's funny you bring up Birarda because I was thinking the same thing.

Note that Reeder will be on the webcast show this Tuesday for a short interview discussing his vision for the association if elected.

crafty cokcney

Nov 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Firstly, why would BCSA sanction a private enterprise who offer additional coaching to players of different levels to become a member.? I'm sure that they, BCSA, are grateful to all private academy programs for helping to promote and develop soccer players here, but I could never see BCSA sanctioning any private academy program. That would open the door for all programs to be affiliated.
How the deal works with the Whitecaps and their Y-league, I believe, is that they have know agreed to work hand in hand with BCSA over players, rather than continually going head to head. I'm guessing that there is now a conflict between BCSA and TSS with players participating in the same tournaments. I know the IPL which is growing every year and is supposed to be the third tier of the program enter tournaments in Washington and maybe that has something to do with it.

Cheers

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
What is the IPL? That's the second time I've heard it mentioned in less than 24 hours (schedules/results/standings being hosted on bcsoccercentral for the summer)...

Good point about the Whitecaps not butting heads with BCSA now - I remember a couple of years ago when that was a big issue.

crafty cokcney

Nov 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs said:
What is the IPL? That's the second time I've heard it mentioned in less than 24 hours (schedules/results/standings being hosted on bcsoccercentral for the summer)...

Good point about the Whitecaps not butting heads with BCSA now - I remember a couple of years ago when that was a big issue.

IPL is the Inter Provincial League that the provincial districts throughout the province run through the spring/summer for their elite players. Tryouts are held and teams are selected for both girls and boys U-12 to U-15.

barney

Jul 21, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
What choice is left when responses from BCSA are not forthcoming. I have noticed that when something controversial happens, the BCSA become very quiet.
This has been going on for years and with BCSA attempting to form a monopoly on soccer in this province and not permitting any other organizations/busnesses to develop players.
Perhaps the concern is that one organization is a business and the other is volunteer, but where is the line drawn? How many paid coaches are now working for BCSA as staff coaches, how many coaches are paid for their coaching in the SuperY leagues.
It is my understanding that Whietecaps was acceptable because it is not a business, but a "Foundation". What a load of rubbish. The management of the Caps are paid plenty for their work and the more they bring in, the more they will get paid. But, this is not a business.
The solution is simple by allowing groups such as TSS and other to become members under the catagory of Associate Members and would under that catagory be subject to the rules and regulations that would guide such level of membership.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well, I've noticed that when nothing controversial happens, they also become very quiet... I think you're on to something here :rolleyes: What the hell are they supposed to do? Hold a press conference?

barney

Jul 21, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Should have been more specific. When they are asked to provide answers or responses to inquiries that are contreversial, no answers are provided. I was not asking for public statements, but just responses to questions or concerns.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
So you called them up and asked?

Because I did and had no problem getting answers.

As for the "letter" and the concerns within, whom exactly would be responsible down at the BCSA to tend to the matter? Keith Ryan?

Burnro

Jul 10, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs said:
For one, BCSA needs to put it to a vote by their membership to give any sort of status. This was done apparently in the past and the membership voted no. That is my understanding anyways when I called and spoke with someone down at BC Soccer on the matter.
Each and every year that TSS have attempted to become an associate member, they have been denied by the board...it has never made the floor for the membership to vote on.

Regs said:
Secondly, do you really think BCSA would single out a business and talk to other jurisdictions specifically about them? What if it were a case of sending a current list of affiliated members/teams that are covered under the BC Soccer insurance policy?
Sure they would! BCYSA can't stand the fact that they do not have a monopoly over players in this province, it irritates them that another company could possibly be more successful than BC Soccer. Why do you think Roman Tulius never takes teams down to the States and only over to Europe? It's because the Eurpeans don't give a shite about who BC Soccer is! If you have a group of players good enough to go over to Europe and compete, then they want you there. Only in North America do travelling teams require the permission of their 'governing body' when travelling to out of province/state tournaments.

Burnro

Jul 10, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
PV said:
Is Elmes upset that Birada went to the Whitecaps, and perhaps Birada is taking some of Totals' paying customers with him.
You would think that Birarda leaving has not cost TSS any of their players because very few TSS players know who Birarda is...he's been away on CSA duty so much over the past 3-years that he's never been around on the field with the current TSS players. All of the players Birarda had an impact with have long since gone off to college/university.

The other irony is I thought TSS would have begun this legal action a few years ago, but looking at the situation, it was probably Birarda who witheld the action from beginning, as he was probably worried about how it would jeopardize his involvement with the CSA.

Burnro

Jul 10, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
barney said:
What choice is left when responses from BCSA are not forthcoming. I have noticed that when something controversial happens, the BCSA become very quiet.
This has been going on for years and with BCSA attempting to form a monopoly on soccer in this province and not permitting any other organizations/busnesses to develop players.
Perhaps the concern is that one organization is a business and the other is volunteer, but where is the line drawn? How many paid coaches are now working for BCSA as staff coaches, how many coaches are paid for their coaching in the SuperY leagues.
It is my understanding that Whietecaps was acceptable because it is not a business, but a "Foundation". What a load of rubbish. The management of the Caps are paid plenty for their work and the more they bring in, the more they will get paid. But, this is not a business.
The solution is simple by allowing groups such as TSS and other to become members under the catagory of Associate Members and would under that catagory be subject to the rules and regulations that would guide such level of membership.
I agree! Afterall, who is all of this being done for in the end? All of this crap is only hurting the players. But too many big-wigs are in it for themselves so they can fulfill their wannabe political aspirations to try and prove how important they are to themselves. There are many reasons, but his is such an important factor as to why soccer has not developed in Canada like it should.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
burnro said:
Each and every year that TSS have attempted to become an associate member, they have been denied by the board...it has never made the floor for the membership to vote on.
Well, I have different info and as I said before, it was voted down.

burnro said:
BCYSA can't stand the fact that they do not have a monopoly over players in this province, it irritates them that another company could possibly be more successful than BC Soccer.
Now you're just being silly. How about TSS can't stand the fact they now don't have a monopoly in the high-end academy business? See how silly that is? As the governing body for soccer in the province, whether you like it or not, they *should* have a say in how players are developed, in the sense of providing the framework and avenues for elevating players to the next stage (whatever that may be) at the National level.

burnro said:
All of this crap is only hurting the players.
Apparently it's hurting someone's pocket book as well - "the letter" states as much.

burnro said:
But too many big-wigs are in it for themselves so they can fulfill their wannabe political aspirations to try and prove how important they are to themselves
That's a pretty broad brush you're using. I take it from some of your other comments that you're including Birarda in with that statement?

It just seems the timing on this is just WAY off. Change *is* happening down at the BCSA - you've got a new executive director coming in who would be the person to deal with this kind of stuff directly I think, and this is how you want to start?

PV

Jul 28, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Burnro said:

BCYSA can't stand the fact that they do not have a monopoly over players in this province, it irritates them that another company could possibly be more successful than BC Soccer.

Why would TSS want to be associate members? That status of membership does not give them any votes at BCSA. Even if they could vote, they wouldn't have any power or influence over BCSA. BCSA is run by a unique blend of certain Directors and certain key staff, and their decisions usually get rubber stamped by the voting structure of BCSA which gives half the votes to adult soccer (VMSL/FVSL/MWSL and VIMSL).

Is TSS upset that its not a BCSA sanctioned District Development Centre like North Shore or the Whitecaps? The Whitecaps have special status because of DDC status, and because of their Yleague teams and IPL teams and their propsects program. That undoubtedly is making more and more aspiring high end soccer players gravitate to the Whitecaps soccer school. There's still a need for locally based soccer schools which are either lower cost, or indoors (like TSS) and which provide child care service.

TSS may complain now about the cozy relationship between BCSA and the Whitecaps, but is TSS any worse off now than when BCSA ran its own fee for service soccer school under Possee and Palmer?

crafty cokcney

Nov 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
As I said before, why would BCSA sanction another academy program when they already have one of their own in place.

As Regs said, they are the governing body that works hand in hand with CSA and there is a process of development that is controlled through provincial, national and professional progression. If all of a sudden we get another pro team in Vancouver then there maybe an issue and I guess that would be addressed accordingly. However, until such times as that may happen, every academy program should try to help the sanctioned development process as best they can rather than trying to undermine it.

People wonder why the grass root football is so fukced up here:rolleyes: If you can't get it right at this level because differet groups all think they have the right answer and continually water down the talent pool with various programs, what chance has your senior Nationanal program got. It got so bad here in BC with our NTC program that recently not one player was drawn from that program to join the National squad.

Sure, use the private academy programs that are available to enhance your kids abilities and performance, that is what they are there for. But don't make the mistake of letting these private academy programs convince you as parents, that they run or influence the due process that is set out by the governing bodies of soccer here with BCSA or the CSA.

Cheers

Richard

May 5, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
crafty cokcney said:
IPL is the Inter Provincial League that the provincial districts throughout the province run through the spring/summer for their elite players. Tryouts are held and teams are selected for both girls and boys U-12 to U-15.
I don't mean to nitpick but I think it is actually Intra Provincial League. It is a league played within BC, not between provinces.

Burnro

Jul 10, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs said:
That's a pretty broad brush you're using. I take it from some of your other comments that you're including Birarda in with that statement?
Not at all! And none of my other comments are suggesting anything of the sort. Bob Birarda's contribution to soccer and player development in BC has been second to none over the years.

My comment simply refers to the fact that too many children have their development negatively affected and then quit soccer as a result of someone elses politics; and it happens at all levels and ages, which sucks!

Richard

May 5, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
I don't mean to take a position here but if it's OK to have private for-profit healthcare for those who can afford it and are willing to pay the premium alongside and competing with the public healthcare system for an essential service like healthcare, why is it not OK to have private for profit soccer coaching running alongside the 'public' system in what is definitely NOT an essential social service? I see these two soccer solitudes complementing each other frankly.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts